Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly

Lynne Kelly’s new book, Memory Craft, has been released in Australia. It can be ordered online at Book Depository (free worldwide delivery).

The book is full of interesting practical experiments with memory techniques, including some that are not as well-known here, like memory boards (lukasas) and winter counts. My copy is heavily dog-eared, and I plan to go through it again.

I think this book is going to inject a lot of new ideas into the memory community, and I’m curious to see how people will apply them. :slight_smile:

There’s more information, including a table of contents, at the link below.

Here’s a TEDx talk that includes some information about memorizing with a lukasa:

11 Likes

I found her first book to be a fantastic read. I am very much looking forward to the arrival of this book which I preordered when I first heard about it.

5 Likes

I also preordered Memory Craft and received an email just yesterday saying that it was shipping soon. I don’t know what they mean by “soon” but I’m in the US and can already tell you it’s not soon enough. If Memory Craft is half as good as Memory Code, it’ll still be twice as good as most of the other memory books I have. Lynne, thanks for all the work you put into your material. Your passion for the subject is not only readily apparent, but it’s contagious as well.

4 Likes

Thank you, Josh, for all of your comments and support. Thank you to the commenters so far. I’d be happy to answer questions or discuss any of Memory Craft or The Memory Code.

12 Likes

Loved this TED Talk Lynne!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to my preordered copy of Memory Craft, which is still processing when I checked on it earlier today. Lol!
But I’ve used one idea from from The Memory Code. The use of Lukasas seem to indicate that a lot more information can be applied to locis than I’ve used in the pass (I’m still a beginner though I’ve dabbled for years)
My front door is now 5 locations instead of one. Not easy for me but it worked! Now it looks like my house, rather than limited to 75 locis, could possibly hold 200 to 300 or more. Don’t know yet and it’s a slow go but I’m excited about it!

2 Likes

Would you mind posting here when your copy arrives? I also pre-ordered, also in the States…and hate waiting for things to arrive! :smile: Which is why I wish it had been released in a digital version; nearly all of my contemporary books are read digitally these days.

Bob

2 Likes

Having been around since 1812 I still prefer printed books

4 Likes

Thank you for all the comments.

Memory Craft is available in digital form, but I am not sure that is possible to get it in North America yet.

Kindle:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Memory-Craft-Improve-powerful-methods-ebook/dp/B07P529LZ2/ref=zg_bs_2537843051_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CX6DQ6FZF157PJ27V4JR

Ebook:

But I don’t know how broadly these are available. I don’t understand the system!

There will be a North American edition, but not for a few months. I am sorry! Please let me know if you do manage to get them for foreign shores!

Lynne

3 Likes

Thanks, Lynne! No, it’s not available to U.S. customers. I’m guessing that won’t happen until the hardcover publishes here, which, according to the Amazon site, won’t be until January 2020.

Bob

@LynneKelly

I just ordered Memory Craft and The Memory Code from Book Depository.
It says on the order confirmation:

The Memory Code – available: dispatched from the UK in 2 business days
Memory Craft – available: dispatched from Australia in 3 business days
Delivery FREE.

I live in Switzerland, so I’m curious how long it will take to arrive :smiley: Looking forward to reading both books.

I have just seen a Kindle edition of the Australian edition pop up on Amazon.com, but I gather it flips over to the Australian site for Australians only. It is all really confusing.

I didn’t know when the hardcover would be out. Can you copy what it says? Does it name the US publisher?

Thank you so much! I gather it sends the UK edition of The Memory Code and the Australian edition of Memory Craft. I am curious about the arrival times and your reaction to them! I do hope that you enjoy them both.

1 Like

Lynne:

The publisher is listed as Pegasus. I can send a PDF of the Amazon page to your email, if you’d like. (The site didn’t let me post it in this message.)

Bob

1 Like

Okay, here’s a copy of the book’s details:

• Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Pegasus Books; 1 edition (January 7, 2020)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1643133241
  • ISBN-13: 978-1643133249
  • Product Dimensions: 6 x 9 inches

Wow…I just realized that the Amazon US price to preorder Memory Craft is $26.55. I paid US$21.16 to buy the book from Book Depository, which is shipping it, for no additional charge, from AUSTRALIA! So…$5 less to send the book halfway around the world.

2 Likes

Thank you! Very much appreciated. I hadn’t heard when Pegasus were publishing nor if I could say publicly that they are the North American publishers. The pricing is even more confusing, but I have decided not to even try and understand the global publishing world!

Thank you hugely.

Lynne

1 Like

Thank you, Josh!! I really appreciate all that you do for the memory community.

1 Like

Hi Lynne, bought your book today. Most excited to read it and delve more into some of the techniques. It is already a No. 1 best seller in Memory Improvement so that is a great success!

2 Likes

Lynne, you’re a treasure.
I firmly believe that you’re contributions to the study of memory are going to stand the test of time and infuse a greater appreciation for the complexities of ‘savage’, pre-writing cultures. Your work has been deeply influential to me, so I wanted to take a moment and let you know how much I appreciate what you’ve done.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I am excited to hear how the memory practitioners on this forum react.