Advanced book

Hey !

I looked for it but didnt find … I’m looking for books about memory but not much the “beginners books”. I’m a bit frustrated to find books about memory but they all talk about the same things like : Major system, palace, loci, … more to teach the basic techniques to people who never heard about them, but not much for people that knows the basics and wants to go further. What book do you recommend me in that purpose ?
Or maybe a super complete book about memory, exploring many techniques, maybe like a bible memory :grin:

Thank you !

2 Likes

I’d recommend Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly. It’s different from the typical memory book. There are more recommendations in the #faqs.

This site also has over 5,000 pages of free information. Check the getting started guide for links to the various sections. The search box and wiki are two good places to start.

4 Likes

The Art of Memory by Frances A. Yates ranks 65. on this list and would be my go-to suggestion for people that look for more than the next book that shows them how to remember their grocery list.

That said, what exactly do you mean by advanced book? In the end it always comes down to these three things:

1. use spacial navigation, because evolutionarily your brain is good at navigating 3d space
  2. place concrete rather than abstract images in the locations from above
  3. make things out-of the ordinary, because your brain is good at pattern matching and novelty will trigger a tiny fight/flight response

As far as the first point, you can simply google “London Taxi Brain” and the alike to find studies and articles like this one:

The second point is anything to do with translating abstract into concrete via #major-system, #pao-system, etc. but I don’t think that #ben-system or #shadow-system are more advanced only because they translate two cards rather than one card at the same time.

The same goes for images like a key for (“ki”) in Japanese hiragana and other mnemonics that you can find here:

The third point can either support the second or you branch out into physiology and psychology

From there you can look into good levels of stress, gut biome, hormones, exercise, etc.

5 Likes

I would also recommend that one. It’s in the list here: What Are the Best Memory Books to Read?

There’s also a longer list of memory books with some that are about medieval techniques (example: Guidonian Hand, mentioned here and here).

Also a page with some older, free memory training books that might contain some interesting, neglected ideas.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help !
Advanced books is to me, like you said, something to learn more than memorise your grocery list. You gave me exactly what I was looking for. And it’s great that I can find also ressources of how the brain works, studies more specific. I bought my first book about memory a few month ago, then I borrowed others in the library and find out they were all saying the same things. As books are my favorite work support, I was looking for something more.
I tried to find on the forum and stuff and as I’m new here I struggled a bit to find it.

Thanks for your very complete answers, for sure I’ll find my happiness.

2 Likes

Hi. I’ve read a ‘thousand’ books on memorization and found they churn out the same approaches. Even now, I continue to search diligently for anything new/advanced but alas I don’t think you will find it. Even medieval books: As Harry Lorayne and others have said ‘there’s nothing new in these ancient books’. They are an interesting and curious read but nothing to take you beyond what you will find on this website.

That being said, where you will take flight and innovate is by doing and doing more. That’s when you discover nuances and clever techniques in relation to your memorizing project that you won’t find in books.

This last month I’ve been toying with the idea of making a thread asking for ‘good tips and tricks’. I’m a bit hesitant as I may not get many contributions. I think it would be a great help to all.

2 Likes

I know this book called Memory techniques for science students. It mainly talks about how to use memory techniques for physics, Chem and biology.(Highschool level). However is quite good for getting started and is somewhat different.

If you are looking for use of memory techniques for studies especially science subjects give this a try. A few demo pages are given, you can read through them.

1 Like

This book thought not advanced by techniques, but shows many examples of how to apply the same techniques of a Number to Object, Alphabet to Object, Symbol to Object system and stories using associations in practical situations like formulae

2 Likes