Memory Craft Book

Is it worth to read Memory craft book by lynne kelly?

2 Likes

There already is a topic about Memory Craft:

6 Likes

Definitely yes. It’s different to other memory books.

5 Likes

YES!

I’ve read a lot of memory books, and Lynne’s stands out for providing a fairly comprehensive overview of memory techniques and their application for real learning and personal fulfillment, using her own research and experience. She also gives exposure to the unique approaches used by a variety of native peoples, a segment of the memory community that has been largely ignored or dismissed prior to her work.

While a number of memory books take a similar approach to one another—even the best ones by Harry Lorayne, Dominic O’Brien, Tony Buzan, etc.—Lynne’s book offers a different perspective. I see it as an excellent companion book to one of the “how to have a great memory” offerings. It’s also very well-written.

For me, it should become one of the essential books for anyone interested in memory and culture.

Bob

6 Likes

It’s a great book. Definitely worth reading. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. Memory Craft is a fantastic book. Her other book, the Memory Code (written first) by Lynne Kelley was also amazing. Although the latter doesn’t concentrate on the techniques, but the cultures which gave rise to those techniques. Memory Craft then explicates those techniques very well, and in a delightfully personal way.

Both are highly recommended.

3 Likes

Is there any book which is full of examples with memory techniques ?

“Full of” might be debatable, but I believe every memory book I’ve ever read, including Moonwalking with Einstein (which wasn’t written to teach memory techniques), has included examples of using the techniques being described.

It’s possible that there are some self-published books out there that are nothing but examples, but after reading more than my share of badly written and badly edited self-published memory books, I’m done.

I will say that Ed Cooke’s Remember, Remember is, essentially, nothing but examples of how to use a memory journey. (And I use the word journey, rather than palace, intentionally.) However, his examples focus on information you might not be interested in: U.S. presidents, kings and queens of England, Shakespeare’s plays. But even if those subjects hold no interest, I think anyone would find it enlightening to see how he puts all of the pieces together using puns and outrageous images.

Plus, he’s hilarious.

Bob

3 Likes

If you’re looking for examples, check out the #examples tag.

Rmbittner, how word journey differ from palace ?

For me, it’s more of a personal distinction than anything I believe is standard within the memory community.

For me, a palace is an enclosed space—a home, an office building, school, library, and so on—where the information stored in the locations does not typically interact in any way. They are simply memorable images placed in discrete locations. (They might interact with me, but there isn’t usually any interplay among the images themselves.)

A journey, on the other hand, is packed with interactions and there’s more of a narrative story at work. A great example of this is in Ed Cooke’s Remember, Remember, where he’s presenting his approach to memorizing the US presidents, based on a journey through an airport, from ticketing to the tarmac. Outside, George Washington is driving a car with John Adams in the back seat. Later, James Madison pulls out a gun and starts shooting at James Monroe. Inside, James Buchanan tries to take a cannon through security only to be stopped by Abraham Lincoln. It isn’t a static, museum-like place for storing locations; it’s a kinetic, action-packed journey through a story where each element is linked to the next and tied to a specific location or scene.

I don’t believe one approach is better than another in general. I do believe, though, that one might better fit specific kinds of information than the other, but it’s hard to know that until you try.

Bob

1 Like

Hello Dr Kelley,
I loved your first book and look forward to the Memory Craft arriving soon.
I am wondering about the mechanics of creating a Lukasa, if you wouldn’t mind providing some additional thoughts:

I would like to experiment with using a Lukasa for memorizing plant families, as you have done for bird families, in accordance with www.wildflowers-and-weeds

Did you find that you needed a beed type object for each family as well as for the individual members of that Family? Perhaps you go into more detail in the new book? Did you have a deliberate design which leveraged colors, sizing and groupings prior to creating the Lukasa?

I believe this will be a fascinating experiment and I appreciate any insights you may share,
Mike

1 Like