Mind Generated Memory Palace

Hello,
I’ve had a hard time using memory palaces, I don’t use our house or certain memory palace more than once. And, I have a few memory palaces in mind, most of them I’ve already used up. Since, I’m not a social person, I rarely go out, so I don’t have much remembered places. About virtual or game maps, I just can’t for some reasons, I’ve tried minecraft but it’s not working that great. I do generate memory palace from scratch in my mind. For example, I’m really into science, for every unit or topic I’ve read in a book, I put them in one certain fantasy place, I associate scientists, superpowers and mythical creatures to make it a lot more fun. So far, I could retain information good. Do you guys have any suggestion? please help me. About games and stuffs, we’re not that rich, and I only have an android phone, so if there’s any game that would help create one, please suggest some but please for android only. Thank you, respect.

6 Likes

Paintings and photographs can work, even if they are from books or websites:

You can even draw your own pictures to create memory journeys:

Another idea is to create some lukasas (memory boards):

See also memory palace alternatives.

I like your username. That’s probably my favorite moon. I hope I live long enough for people to find aliens there. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

It would work with the cooperation of all the Aspergers in that group. I have also tried, but it is burdensome and you distract yourself. Cooperative work is essential for success in that case. Someone with money and willing to maintain his computer on the whole day should host a server for us.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this suggestions, it’s a great help!! Since, I’m spending time advanced reading and memorizing stuffs for the next school year. Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

@enceladus

About virtual or game maps, I just can’t for some reasons, I’ve tried minecraft but it’s not working that great.

As a beginner,I also had problem generating Memory Palace from “minecraft” game. I think,it was because Minecraft’s blocks looked almost similar to each other. That is why,brain has hard time to distinguish the rooms/objects,etc. Now,I don’t have that issue anymore,because I can now create unique ‘blocks’/objects inside “Minecraft”!

Now,if you have trouble with remembering the “Loci” of a Memory Palace,you are not alone. I also had this problem. I had difficulty remembering all the locations I had chosen in a virtual memory palace from games or videos…It was frustrating for me!

I solved this problem by the idea of ‘association’. For example,I take a ‘peg list’ and start to put the items from my peg list inside the Memory Palace,in the locations I want to memorize! And boom! When I revisit the Memory Palace,I can clearly see my peg items and with that,I can easily recall the Locations inside the Memory Palace. If I walk through the Memory Palace in this way two or three times,I don’t need the ‘peg list’ anymore…But I still can remember the locations inside the MP…

I do generate memory palace from scratch in my mind. For example, I’m really into science, for every unit or topic I’ve read in a book, I put them in one certain fantasy place, I associate scientists, superpowers and mythical creatures to make it a lot more fun. So far, I could retain information good. Do you guys have any suggestion? please help me.

If generating your own memory palace is working for you,then,you should be doing it! I personally take inspiration from the fantasy works or real life examples of others. If I see an image of a palace and I like it,I keep it in my collection and add it with modification and recreation to my “Memory City” that I am building!

About games and stuffs, we’re not that rich, and I only have an android phone, so if there’s any game that would help create one, please suggest some but please for android only.

Actually,you don’t need to have your own video games-pc,xbox,etc! There are literally thousands of ‘games walkthrough/tour’ in YouTube. You can easily create Memory Palace from those video walkthrough/tour. You can take inspiration from those videos and generate your own images for you MP!

Here is a YT channel of @Mayarra which has a lot of great videos on Memory Palace created from Video Games >> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKMNmvAtBxRiuTGQHWV40CA/videos

I personally also use the real life ‘apartments,flats’ from the following link as Memory Palace. They are real flats,apartments and the tour is in 3D. It’s so easy to create Memory Palace from these real flats,apartments. If you are interested,you can visit this favorite channel of mine which have hundreds of videos of flats and apartments>>>> https://www.youtube.com/user/YoChicago1/videos

There is also “Matterport”! But It is for me a bit cumbersome,as I have to do a lot of scrolling,editing and other stuffs. The resource is also limited and they take the 3D video down,if the property is sold! I don’t use it anymore,but many here do>>> https://matterport.com/

10 Likes

First:

This amazing channel, they do houses tours, basically a free ride:

Second:

Use your body as a memory palace: use your sense of touch and proprioception, it’d could be easy to use any part of your body, also, you can look at other people you know or famous people and use their bodies as well. It’ll obviously be easier with your own body, but it is possible to use other people. In my body I have 90 spots, being conservative.

Third:

Regarding imaginary places, I think they are the most memorable, I think Thomas de Aquinas recommended the use of those. I have places from 2017, I recall what I memorized. I recall the empty images (characters, rooms, mental experiments). I have a room where a bunch of animals are sit on a table, I was supposed to use them to memorize the russian equivalent oftheir names, but I didn’t knew all the concepts of imagery to actually make the translation, so I didn’t use them. And other places and experiments loom in that place.

When creating them, I advised you to don’t go from zero, take a reference, that way is faster and you decide from the beginning how they’ll be. Also, fantastic landscapes, fantastics buildings, like buildings connected through stairs in the air and cableways. Imagine characters, you can use them as loci, and also the character bring life to your paracosm.

4 Likes

That is a nice channel. I have bookmarked it. We can generate hundreds of Memory Palace from that channel…Thanks for sharing it @InMyMemoryWorld

1 Like

I have some MP based on paintings.
It’s nice to learn stuff and learn about paintings at the same time.
(better to talk in socieety about paintings than about houses I see on youtube :slight_smile: )

I don’t know if I can share these painting’s MP; due to copyright, but if you’re interested, message me.

1 Like

Let me share one of my experiences. My family is into visiting ancient historic places and temples in India. I always resented that as I am not much fond of traveling and sight seeing. Even if I tag along with the family I used to have very little interest in sight seeing and used to spend time in Hotel when I could.

This changed as soon as I started using memory palaces. I now consider visiting a ancient historical monument or temple as an opportunity to acquire one more memory palace. I make it a point to do some activity and fun actions in every distinct location of the temple of monument we visit so that will get retained automatically and I get one more memory palace as a bi-product of the travel.

My family is also happy as they see a new person in me now wanting to visit as many new places as I can with them and to make the visit memorable by doing fun activities there. Win win situation for all.

3 Likes

Thankyou for the suggestion, will consider doing activities quite similar to this as soon as the quarantine is over here. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

When I want a new memory palace, I walk around the streets near home. I have over 10 km of memory palaces now - that’s a few year’s work, but I soon remember the houses, shops, businesses, side streets and open spaces - often places I have never noticed before. My first outdoor palace was constructed by walking from home to the nearest shops, and back again up a different street. That gave me over 100 locations.

And I know our country town very well now!

6 Likes

Oh, maybe I should really get out of my house sometimes. So I could acquire more memory palaces. And also, I LOVE YOUR BOOK, it was just amazing, I’m currently reading your book “Memory Craft”.

Love from the Philippines! :black_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! You have made my day!

Lynne

2 Likes

Agree with your approach. I used few archaeological sites to create few palaces and stored data.

1 Like

Do you watch TV? Any show that you have watched a couple of seasons of can be good because you really remember things. For example, if you watch The Big Bang Theory you can use:

• Leonard and Sheldon’s apartment
  • Penny’s apartment
  • The lobby/stairs/elevator
  • The comic book shop
  • The lunch room at CalTech
  • Raj’s office
  • Leonard’s lab
  • Howard’s living room
  • Howard’s kitchen
  • Howard’s back yard
  • The Cheesecake Factory
  • Penny’s office

You can even use things that are memorable that only showed up once. Like if you saw the episode where Sheldon and Kripke played basketball for offices (or something). If you remember that scene, then use the gym with the characters in it so that you can distinguish it from any other gym.

Any favorite shows you watched as a kid? Can you envision Phineas and Ferb’s house? Or the hotel on Suite Life of Zack and Cody?

4 Likes

This made me search for any YouTube walkthrough videos of their apartment and I found this Live Home 3D version of Big Bang Theory Sheldon’s apartment

2 Likes

You say that you aren’t very social and don’t get out much. I can sympathize; I work from home besides! However, there are a surprising number of mundane places that can be used, that you may be surprised how well you know. Neighborhood walks were already suggested, but consider:

-the grocery store - it’s surprising what you can recall. Even if you only use the outer edges and skip the aisles. But I’d bet you remember more than you think
-local gas station - next time you fill up, take time to look around!
-also your car!
-favorite restaurants or fast food places
-driving to any of the above
A few more traditional include
-you mentioned studying, which suggests you’re in school. So, individual classrooms as well as your school as a whole

• religious places - if you attend a weekly worship, religious halls and buildings can be great sources. I actually use mine to memorize scriptures, so bonus!
    -childhood homes or trips - grandparents houses have been big for me. We moved all the time when I was a kid, so my dad (divorced parents) and grandparents houses were my touchstones. Grandparents are more likely to have stayed in the same place for decades compared to today’s more mobile society

Hope that helps!
SG

4 Likes

Spot on post.

I’ve been dipping into the video game realm for want of new memory palaces recently (literally just downloaded Rockstar’s Bully and played for the first time in AT LEAST 10 years so that I could steal the game’s dorm room layout for my projections); this YouTube channel you’ve linked up is a godsend.

I’ll def inspect that fly link to the flats you added as well.

I personally take inspiration from the fantasy works

I was curious as to which fantasy works you’ve added in particular to that memory city of yours; any favorites amongst authors or directors that you’d recommend looking at?

Thanks for your time! And by this I’ve realized that there are actually a lot of memory palaces I could’ve used but didn’t notice. Well, the memory of those nostalgic places are all coming back to me now. Will consider trying those, thanks for your help much appreciated :fist:t2:

I use sites like https://www.deviantart.com/ for generating fantasy images! If I like an image of this type of site, I like to put the image somewhere in my MPs/Memory City…I can take a beautiful fantasy image and turn it into a place for me to spend time inside that image(environment)…Imagination has no limit!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes