Gavino's Massive Memory Palace System - Practical Examples

I have had a few messages asking for more practical examples of MMPs, so thought I would share some responses (apologies if I ramble!) and other information on this separate thread.

Anyway, to recap on some of the MMP key points:

1. I have found that I can easily imagine a location with around five loci (see below) and with a little help from a location that I already know (even if only slightly) I can get that up to 10 loci or more.

2. In terms of locations that I already know (or can easily picture) that could support 5 or 10 loci, there are literally thousands already in my memory. See later.

3. The question is, how can you utilise all of these mini-locations?

4. Answer: organise them using the MMP method, by having a base set of locations, whose only purpose is to provide a link (or hyperlink!) to these mini-locations.

Let us assume you have already created a 100 loci journey/palace, around your house. For ease of use, although this is not at all essential I am going to assume that you have 10 areas, each with 10 loci. So this might be front entrance/garden, dining room, kitchen, living room, back garden, 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.

The plan is to use these 100 loci purely to link to new mini locations, thus easily multiplying your 100 loci into 500 or 1,000 loci, depending on how carefully you want to select your mini locations.

Examples:

Front Garden has 10 loci. I quite like to have a theme for my mini-locations, but again, because you are linking to them from your base loci, this is not essential.

1. Pick 10 of your friends and link each one to a locus in your front garden.
  2. The mini-locations will be your friend’s house or anywhere that you personally relate to that friend.
  3. I think if you have been to any friend’s house, you can very easily and quickly work at least 10 loci out of it!
  4. Done! Suddenly you have 100 loci instead of 10.

Dining Room.

If you are popular, do another 10 friends! By the way, if you have 100 friends on Facebook, as some do, the location for each friend could be any memorable photo that they have posted and then suddenly you have your 500 - 1,000 location MMP straight away…

But still, let us select another method here. Do you have some movies you have watched numerous times (ideally). What you now need are 10 scenes from that movie. This is easy, because you should find that you can remember 10-20 scenes without any prompting from a movie you love (hint: think of the story from the perspective of what happens to each major character), but if you need help, then go to imdb and read a detailed synopsis. That will remind you enough for sure. Pick 10 scenes where you can imagine yourself walking around, interacting a little with what is there. Quickly pull together a 10 step journey in each location.

Final step is to simply put a link at each of the 10 base loci in your garden to that particular scene.

So, suddenly you have another 100 loci.

Kitchen:

10 locations here too. Where will you link? What about 10 areas/rooms at your school or workplace - or perhaps you need 4 areas from your school, 2 from your university, 2 from your first job and 2 from your second job, or whatever.

Create a 10 stage journey in each and link from your kitchen loci to each journey.

Living Room:

How about linking to your 10 favorite female celebrities and the most memorable scene you can think of involving that celebrity?

(Example: Sharon Stone: who can forget the leg crossing scene from Basic Instinct? With no refresh of the clip or movie, I might do this from memory for my 10 step mini-journey:

1. In front of SS
  2. On left of SS
  3. Behind SS
  4. On right of SS
  5. Hovering above SS
  6. Next to main inquisitor in the audience (overweight sweaty guy)
  7. Next to Michael Douglas
  8. Next to Douglas’ cop friend
  9. At the door of the interrogation room
  10. In the corridor outside the interrogation room.

Easy. Can you picture it?)

I think you may be getting the hang of it, but finally for now, how about this? Do you by any chance have 100 Dominic System characters? Or 100 people from the beginning of a PAO system.

Now normally I don’t recommend using DS characters as pegs, because I prefer to keep them for numbers, but if you need a big palace fast…

1. Link your 100 DS characters to the 100 loci in your house.

2. Now simply have a memorable location for each character. As it happens Sharon Stone is my 66, but why couldn’t you do this for each of your DS characters?

Your DS characters should generally be memorable enough to get at least one decent 10-loci mini location from each, but even if not, take Adolf Hitler who is my 18. I have no great knowledge about him, but with very little effort I could imagine him next to a tank or delivering one of his speeches, perhaps from a balcony, or planning his strategy in a war room with his generals. No problem getting 10 loci there a la the Sharon Stone method above if need be. [Tip: Add a jeep to the tank and you are pretty much there!]

So, now your DS system of 100 characters, has quickly turned into (potentially) a memory palace with 1,000 loci!

I really hope this helps and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Gavino

9 Likes

Here is one I am using at the moment:

(Kids love the film - my excuse!)

Massive Memory Palace - Scenes from Carry on Camping
(Base loci at old office)

Base loci Scene
1 Cinema nudist film
2 Camping shop
3 Mothers house & kitchen
4 Outside mothers house
5 Entrance to paradise campsite
6 Putting up tent in rain
7 Babs Coach leaves school
8 On the coach
9 In corridor at hostel
10 Terry arrives home
11 Terry and wife at home
12 Bull in field for picnic
13 Terry at farmers house with daughter
14 In tent with Mr Muggins
15 With blonde girl when drunk
16 Babs putting up tent
17 Exercises - bra flies off
18 Showers block
19 Monastery visit
20 Music festival in field

Example: 10 loci at Scene 1

Outside the cinema building
At the payment desk
Outside the door of the screening
Inside the door
Seat 1 at side - near Sid
Seat 2 at side - near girls
At front left next to the screen
At front right next to screen
In the film, playing nudist volleyball - left of net
Volleyball - right of net

1 Like

So, what you are doing is basically just like that one pope did? He made a memroy palace as a library for the rest of his memory palaces.

Yes I think that is a way of looking at it, although the distinction I would make is that this method as described is specifically creating a memory palace as a library of lots of mini-memory palaces.

Of course there is absolutely no reason why you could not organise all of your ‘full blown’ memory palaces with another one.

(Of course we are now in danger of hitting the risky question of whether a memory palace containing all of your memory palaces should contain itself or not…:slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thanks Gavino. By this way, we can utilize lot lot of loci which seems unrelated to each other, which will build a huge librabry. Haha. Thanks a lot for your sharing.

Wow great explaination!
I love this!
it makes creating journeys much easier
and the rooms are even more memorable
when they are scenes from your favorite films.

Thanks gavino, what i just read in this masive journey system is much better than lots of other info out there, you sharing of this was amazing…when i started to picture how to make my own i remember a scene from the last chapters of fringe when they got to an apartment and in there they went to a pocket universe, wich was other building, it is like watching your idea. Greetings.

Lociception :wink:

This is a really awesome idea. And I like the concept of using your People (DS or PAO or whatever) as quick loci. This is good for me, because I can never remember my list of loci, but this way I can just go through 1 at a time, starting with 00 up to 99. I think I am also going to create a memory palace with my memory palaces in it, but I don’t know which journey I should use… I like your system for creating a memory palace from something that has 20 or so loci into something with several hundred.

Do you know which pope that was?

1 Like

It’s somewhere in Moonwalking with Einstein but someone borrowed it from me. I haven’t memorized it so, no. Ask DoubleHelix, he knows the book pretty well.

Hey man, what is the difference, in terms of memory techniques, between “Moonwalking with Einstein” and Dominic Obrien “You can develop a brilliant memory”? Which one is better and worth reading? Thanks

Moonwalking with Einstein is half autobiographical, half-information, with little elaboration on how you can apply the techniques. If you want to learn techniques “You can Have an Amazing Memory” by Dominic O’Brien is the way to do.

i think the part i liked the most was on the memory palace chapter, it gave me good hopes on make a massive memory palace system, as described. but, ryanboi i think the info on the wiki is quite good.

then, in short, by this method creates places within places, for example in the kitchen of my house on top of the fridge and put a movie scenes within scenes and another 10 places…

home (10) - rooms in the house (10) -> locations of the rooms (10) -> Movies linking places of rooms -> scenes in every movie with the comfortable seats (10) -> with each scene (10) loci

10x10x10x10x10= 100.000 loci

it´s right??..

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I love the idea of a massive memory palace. I created a palace in The Sims 3. Okay, maybe not a palace but a mansion with lots of rooms and each room represents different memory palace. I also put an object in each room to act as a trigger and the object in the room will be the first step of the memory palace that the room represents.

That’s a great idea to built your own palaces :slight_smile:

Yeah man, especially when you have all the expansion packs like night life, world adventures and so on. Its endless haha. I realised that we can also use the same concept on Sim City 2013. I dont think I am at that stage yet, to be able to memorise whole city haha but that could be an advanced thing :slight_smile:

Great system. I can see this as being especially useful for memorising a lot of historical information - an initial hundred stage journey, which each stage containing a ‘mini mansion’ of 10, would represent a whole millennium. Each mini mansion would represent a decade.

That said… I can see a little potential for confusion using it for dates. It seems intuitive to have a mini mansion just for the 1960s, for example. But if we wanted a mini-mansion to map onto a decade exactly, then it would seem that the first stage of the journey would actually represent 1960, whilst the second stage would represent 1961, etc… having the digit out would be confusing. We could of course just forget the 1960, and have the stages representing (1=1961, 2=1962… etc… 9=1969, 10=1970) But then there’s some potential for confusion to in that the start of the 70s would begin at the end of a different journey.

Curious as to how you’d handle it?

Thanks! :slight_smile: Again, great system… I hadn’t really thought about how many possible tiny 5 to 15 stage journeys I have lying around which couldn’t serve to hold much substantial data on its own, but when added together and given an artificial sequential order could really prove useful. Love it!

Also… would you say it’s best to stick to groups of 10? I could have a mini-mansion with only 6 stages - linking to stop 1 on my 'main journey - then a mini mansion with 13 stages linking to main journey stop 2. But of course this would mean if I wanted to recall, say, stage 8 in the overall journey, that would then be the 2nd stage of the 2nd journey. A tad confusing?