How many memory palace do we need?

If you are learning a book, so how many memory palce do we need, i mean that… do we need to create memory palace for each chapter of the book that we are reading ??

Hi there!
There are many strategies. You can create one memory palace for the whole book. You can create one memory palace per chapter as well.

You need to analyze how many ideas you want to memorize from each chapter. If I need to memorize 3 main keypoints of a chapter I would prefer to build a palace of even 6 to 7 chapters from my book. If I want to memorize 20 thoughts of my favorite chapter I would create only one palace for this chapter.

1 Like

What kind of a book are we talking about? Different kinds of books might require different approaches. For instance, a novel might require spaces for general plot points, another for all of the different characters, another for specific setting details.

A textbook, though, is completely different. Chances are, no one’s memorizing an actual textbook; they’re memorizing specific facts from that book. Depending on the amount of detail involved, and how different each chapter/section is from the next, you may be best served by a separate journey for each section. (I’m thinking of texts where each chapter/section may cover a specific period of time or discrete topics.)

If it’s general nonfiction, you may want to start by creating a simple outline of chapter titles, then go through and note all of the subheadings for that chapter. That can give you a basic understanding of how many loci you may need and how detailed you’ll need to get.

Finally, if you’re trying to memorize a book verbatim… someone else will need to step in with advice. That would be completely outside my experience.

Bob

3 Likes

thank you for your reply. I am learning a book about microvirus. Each chapter ( each pieces of microvirus) has many thing to remeber, like their habitat, the way they attack human immunology, or the cure for each of pieces. I don’t know whether we create for each of microvirus a memory palace and how to create :((. I have no places that seem familiar for me to use for memorising

This is step #1, then. Because the real value of the loci/journey method comes from mentally walking through a space you know well.

What about a childhood home? A coffee shop you hang out in? The grounds of a school you’ve attended? A favorite park? Your hometown? The apartment/home you’re living in now? All of those could be put to use.

I know nothing, really, about microviruses. And I don’t know how many chapters you’re going to have remember. But you might want to consider giving each chapter its own room (or, if there’s a lot of information, it’s own house). If each chapter focuses on a specific microvirus, that will help to keep them all separate and distinct, while giving you the space to get into all of their details as well. Another alternative—and I’ve never tried anything like this myself—would be to picture each house shaped like a specific part of the human being (or system) they attack, if that’s relevant and makes sense. In this case, the “house” would be a completely imaginary place. I don’t usually recommend that, but it may be suitable for your situation.

I feel like each microvirus should be a distinct character. See what associations come to mind when you hear the names, then imagine a wild, memorable character that fits. (Feel free to give us some names to help with if you’re coming up empty.) Then make each palace/home that character’s home, filled with all the details you need to know.

Hopefully, someone with more medical memory experience can jump in here…

Bob

3 Likes

Use a mind map.

• Get an A4 size paper (or bigger), and in the middle of it draw a circle or a square and enter the chapter title. Repeat the following for each chapter.
  • Extend from the circle all main points
  • Extend from the main points all the subpoints.
  • Attach an image for each point
  • Attach an image for each subpoint
  • Memorise each image in the order of main and sub points.

Two ways (there maybe many more) to memorise the images of the main points and the subpoints.

1. Memorise the images in the order of the main and subs. I use a method with my number shapes system to memorise all images, it’s the same or similar to Simon Orton method. No need for a memory palace :slight_smile:
  2. Or, Use a memory palace to store all the images. Use the door to attach an image for the chapter, inside the room, have stops and have the recall trigger items, attach an image for your main point at the first stop, and attach other images for all the subpoints around the main point image, and then repeat for each main point. Repeat this for each room.

6 Likes

thank you for all your reply. there is 54 chapter (54 microviruses) i have to remember. And I had used many memory palaces before, now I don’t have enough memory palace for the microviruses. I have found that using imaginary memory palace did not work because we have to memorise the structure of the building. Can someone give me an advise on this issus :(( I am hopeless now

Why don’t you try “Lukasa” memory board technique! Lynne Kelly used Lukasa board to memorize the details of 400+ birds. I also found “Lukasa” to be a cool technique for memorizing things. I could create as many boards as I want and use them as mini “Memory Palaces”. I found,as Lynn Kelly claimed,Lukasa boards work as effectively as Memory Palaces!

3 Likes

How does lukasa board work to memorise stuff?
any examples?

It is like a combination of memory palace plus link method …i think …except that the palace is a wooden board with decoration

1 Like

1.Open google slides/ power point
2.Open you tube and any games walkthrough …take screen shots of different locations and place them in your powerpoint/google slides
3.You now have unlimited memory palaces

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I will try these technique. Thank you everyone again. I think this content will end here. ^^^. I will try the lukasa first.

There’s a bit of discussion in this thread: Extending memory palace with memorised role play?

There’s also a section about it in the book Memory Craft.

2 Likes

Hi Erol,

I have been using Lukasa board for encoding the main points of a book in my memory after I read @LynneKelly’s book “Memory Code”.

Let’s say,I want to remember the main points of the book “59 Seconds by Richard Wiseman”.

The first chapter of the book is “Happiness”. And it has a couple of important points I want to remember. It goes something like this:

Happiness:

1. Happy people are more successful

2. Journaling makes us happier

3. Giving makes us happier

4. etc…

So,now I will convert each of these points of the book into image and put them at each ‘objects’ of the Lukasa board below(see the image)…

I convert “Happiness” to an image of a ‘happy person’ and put/visualize that ‘happy person’ in the number “1” object of the “Lukasa” board below. Then,I will convert the 'Happy people are more successful" to an image like a “happy person holding a medal” in the number “2” object of the “Lukasa” board below…and so on.

This way,I will keep converting the main points to an image and visualize those images in each ‘location/object/beads’ of the “Lukasa” board below…This works almost like “Memory Palace”.

I don’t know why,but “Lukasa” board works wonder for me especially for remembering the main points of a book……!

5 Likes

Thank you Elitely.
I do like the idea of this. We can perhaps create our own digital version of The Lucasa Board Palace with our own objects. And create many more as much as we need.

The problem I have with the lucasa board as I see it is that the objects are too small. I’d have to somehow zoom into the object to fit the images and the animation between the object, image and the link action. What’s your method? How do you visualize this process?

I create my own “Lukasa board” with beads. I also like to follow specific patterns/designs while creating the board. I don’t just randomly put objects/beads on the board. And I noticed that after I have created a board, I am able to visualize the whole board,its objects and the locations of the objects on the board quite easily. So,I don’t need to zoom into the objects of the board…….I just know which objects are where. It is like,you enter into a ‘familiar room’ and you already know where the objects of the room are located,which you can use as “Loci”.

Also,I touch the objects and boards for tactile sensations. Like Lynne Kelly said in the following passage,it looks like the tactile aspect strengthens the memory of the board design in my brain. Once the board and the locations of its objects are memorized,it can easily be used as ‘pegs’/placeholder/loci…

There is a whole tactile aspect. The boards are used by traditional owners by touching each bead and telling the story connected. That is what I do. Most stories are very brief - the usual sort of memory image, but I then add to them as I add more complex information.

2 Likes

This is so fascinating, elitely. Your experience is so like mine, but it is so hard to explain. I seriously doubted that a lukasa would work at all until I tried it. It really is a miniature memory palace, but the link to the locations aren’t entirely visual. Your lukasa looks beautiful. I hope it is becoming precious to you. I did not expect how fond I would become of a bit of wood with stuff stuck on it.

You are explaining it better than I can!

4 Likes

Not sure what you mean by …have no palaces that seem familiar to me to use for memorizing…

You have no place you are familiar with???

When I wait in the bank for twenty minutes waiting to complete a transaction, I have sufficient time to get familiar with it to use it as palace. It is simple to pick out ten obvious features of the bank on the outside and again on the inside. That’s two palaces with ten stations each. The fifteen minute bus ride on the way to the bank provides me with ten features of the inside of the bus that are easy to remember if I make a point of doing so. A little recall practice of the features while on the bus, a couple immediately after while walking to my destination. Again, while walking back and then confirming the accuracy while on the bus on the way home. That’s three palaces in a couple of hours.

There are at least a dozen sites in my favorite mall that I can make my way to without any difficulty whatsoever. Each one has at least a dozen locations inside that just need attending to for them to become part of one station in that particular mall palace .

In my favorite supermarket there are dozens, maybe hundreds of things that I know how to find without giving it a thought. In fact, in the supermarket the problem is an overwhelming number of stations that I can visualize easily when thinking about it. The trick there is choose only the ones that stand out for some other reason so as to reduce the mental energy needed to keep it all straight.

A memory palace doesn’t have to be something that you could navigate around blindfolded before you even thought about using it as a palace. When I leave my apartment, I have the hallway as part of a memory palace, the elevator is another one, then the hallway from the elevator, the trip though the parkade and finally my car (outside and inside).

Simply going to my car is an opportunity to practice a hundred German words every day. To keep it from getting boring I started expanding the words attached to each station. A cafe became an expensive cafe, then a noisy, expensive cafe, followed by my favorite noisy, expensive cafe, then my favorite, noisy, expensive cafe downtown. Then I just play with it. How do I find, leave, get to my favorite, expensive…, how do you, they, everyone, no one, etc.

Of course, I could just stand there frustrated and bored while using the elevator, or waiting in the doctors office, sitting in the airport terminal, waiting to pick up my car. But even if I am there only once it is sufficient if I have to spend any time there. Of course, I have to take proper, lasting note of it.

If I am walking or driving there is the intersection that I immediately cross almost every day with its more than usual number of posts with traffic controls on them. I look directly at them every day. Each one has easy to remember features that I have seen on traffic lights all my life. All I have to do is draw it on a piece of paper after picking the features I want to put in the palace and then put it into an excel file. Then spend a few minutes at spaced intervals remembering it over time.

Palaces are the easiest part of memorization. Even house bound people can build there own with Minecraft. Sitcoms usually have a standard set they use. Simple to freeze frame and find ten stations. You even have strong characters to assist with the difficult part which is association.

8 Likes

Thank you northernguy1. Your answer is so amazing. I did not realize that there is so many many simple places that i can choose to be my memory palace. I have just thought that you have to choose the location that is really similliar like your house or your parent house. After all, i am really impressed by your answer. Thank you a lot. Thank you for this amazing answer. This is all i need ^^

1 Like

You can expand on the number of palaces by redoing each station in different colors. Red, green, pink ambient light. In each one of those you can have a another peg system. Under each color peg list you can have a number peg list for example, one, two, three etc… You can have a deck of cards peg list under each number in each number peg list at each location. Just make sure you set up a consistent order of the suits in the deck of cards. A peg list of fifty cards times a peg list of ten numbers times four standard order color schemes = 2000 pegs under each location within the specific memory journey.

It sounds like a lot because it is. But such an approach can be useful for memorizing certain kinds of material. Of course, you don’t have to use the whole works at any particular time. Just make sure that you decide what peg lists you are going to use and keep them them in the same order with each palace.

You don’t want to be thinking…gee, did I start with colors on my location peg list or numbers. Be consistent. Use bridging figures in your associations to ensure you recognize that there is still another peg list attached to the memory formation.

You know there is another peg list following a peg list because the association attached to the last item on the first peg list contains a signalling bridging figure attached to the last peg in your construction. If there is a card shark in the last association of a peg list that means there is deck of cards peg list immediately following that still has to be dealt with. If you have finished the clubs suit in your deck of cards, have a bridging at the end that tells you to go the next suit if there is another one in use.

Just start off slow, maybe with four ambient colors. Then add peg lists to each station as required…color, number, deck of cards, fingers on your hand, the ten streets in order that you regularly cross when driving or walking a standard route, anything that is sequential that is easy for you to visualize and recount.

2 Likes