How many memory palace do we need?

Differentiating among memory palace “layers” with colors, fire, etc. has never worked for me. For one thing, it limits my ability to use those colors/fire/whatever in any other way in my images. But it’s simply not enough of a distinguishing trait to allow me to layer multiple levels of similar info in the same locations. And if the information in these levels of different enough, I don’t need the color/fire/whatever; I’m not going to accidentally confuse the Best Picture winner of 1970 with my mother-in-law’s birthday.

Bob

2 Likes

I dont understand why you would do this and not just walk through the actual game. Wouldn’t it be easier to have a full map as a palace rather than assorted screenshots?

Screenshot and ppt makes me feel more in control.(incase i forget a loci.that way i dont need to see video multiple times and memorise loci.)Theres a wiki page on memorising info via a drawing/ picture book.

P.s i am a noob …

Isn’t it just faster to make your own places in your head rather than playing through the game.

I find games are useful because you already know the places and you can use a lot of them from the games but, you can just as well make 200 odd virtual places in 10 minutes.

1 Like

Wow …thats super cool!!! …If you ever have time can you write us a guide on imaginary loci , your thought process and how you overcame problems assosciated with it…would help all of us here.

I could make a guide on this I guess. People just usually seem fearful of self made loci.

2 Likes

I’m recently come back to memory work. One disadvantage of beomg an occasional user of journey methods is that i forgrt the journeys ive done. I love the idea of a lukasa board that i use to trigger my journeys. By beong physical i think it may trigger my journeys more readily after a break.

2 Likes

How do people affix the loci to lukasa? (Is the plural of “lukasa” “lukasa”? In general I’d default to using the pluralization rules of the language of origin, but I don’t know said language.) I am planning to use 5 minute epoxy for my first one; hopefully everything sticks.

1 Like

Welcome, mikejonesrelaxing. I’d love to hear how you go with it.

The plural of lukasa in the Luba language is nkasa. I must admit that I say lukasas, but if I am writing I do refer to the correct plural.

The image is from my new book, Memory Craft. The top left is my first glued luksasa. The top right is my new, nailed lukasa. The bottom two are the real thing from the Luba people of the Congo.

I glued my first lukasa. Used superglue but beads occasionally come off and I reglue them. Or leave the space. The first bead came off leaving a sharp bit of glue. That spike worked a treat for the emu who was encoded there, so I left it. I hadn’t designed the beads to match the information. I just used the random arrangement and it still worked. It doesn’t seem random to me now that I have a path through it. I group the tiny beads into a single location.

My new lukasa (top right) was modelled on the real thing, once I had seen them in the Brooklyn Museum. It was made for me by a luthier (instrument maker) using tiny nails like the Luba do. It was designed for my information (the history of writing, ironically) and works even better.

3 Likes

Is there a particular reasoning for the “squished” shape of nkasa, as opposed to rectangles? If I had to guess, maybe it makes the four corners more pronounced and doesn’t let loci get lost on the long straight edges because the width is constantly varying and thus differentiating loci as they move from the outside in?

Also, are the nkala in the center just for adding some details around the middle to relate loci to and thus not letting them get lost in the middle of nowhere, or is there some other reason they’re there?

I tend to keep all my information together. So what I do is use a street of houses I’d know for example and each house might be a chapter, if I don’t know what’s in the house, great! I just make it up and I’ll always try and find a room that I don’t know so I can then imagine a fake stairs into a fake basement with a fake dungeon etc… I know a lot of people don’t like using places that don’t exist but I think it’s super useful. Use real places as your market for where to start and then transition them into made up places. Also, I don’t preplan the mind palace I make it up as I go! I’ve probably made up 10,000+ rooms in the passed 6 years

2 Likes

My completely uneducated guess is that the shape makes them easier to grip in the palm of one hand.

Bob

1 Like