How do you like to take notes? [POLL]

What are your preferred ways for taking notes? Choose up to 3, and leave a comment below with details:

• Paper
  • Word processor
  • A notetaking app
  • Vim
  • Org Mode (or other Emacs system)
  • VS Code
  • Notepad
  • Who needs notes?
  • Other (leave a comment below)

0 voters

2 Likes

I ticked ‘paper’ cos I’m old and i also ticked ‘Other’ because i am greatly interested in mental notetaking in real time. Also when my life settles down a little bit I’d like to look into Buzan Diagrammes/Mind Mapping again because Anthony Metivier rates it .

1 Like

A good old Notepad and a Pen is the best tool for me to create my daily to-do list and to take notes. I do this on a daily basis, and I developed “a fast note taking method” by simply Not using the vowels in my notes such as “pst th lttr” translates as “post the letter”. This is also good if by any chance somebody was looking at my notes, they usually don’t have a clue about what my notes are. :slight_smile: So I kind of use an encrypted method of note taking.

2 Likes

I selected Paper, Word and Who needs notes?

For a lot I can use palaces that I have for temporary storage, after which I can move it to Excel+Permanent Palace, or to Word.

When it is a subject that doesnt allow for easy images, I print my digital Cornell Sheet and make notes on paper, which I then turn into images or process into Word, also in the Cornell Sheet layout.

I often cant read my own handwriting after a few weeks because I write waaaaay too fast, so turning it into something digital makes it easier to read later on. And the second moment of note-taking makes it easier to memorize as well.

2 Likes

I typically take notes in form of TEXT files kept organized in folders. Those files can be accessed by any text processing app. Currently VSCode is my favorite app to write those TEXT files, many of them are in mark down due to mark down syntax highlighting in VSCode

I commit my files into a GIT repository and keep them on a private repo in Gitlab account, also pushed to Bitbucket account as a redundant copy.

This makes search in my text files easier while working in VSCode.

4 Likes

Cherrytree. For notes I don’t particularly need to know.
Anki maybe for notes I do need to know.
One Note perhaps for structuring visual ideas.
Otherwise who needs notes when you have mnemonics.

2 Likes

I chose paper, a notetaking app and “who needs notes?”

Most of the time I don’t need notes when learning or studying because my brain seems to store a lot of information immediately already but I do write notes down on paper incase I later forget some stuff.

I use a notetaking app on my phone for things I easily forget like buying groceries and appointments.

2 Likes

I chose paper, notepad and note taking app.

Paper when I am studying.
Notepad when I am attending a lecture.
Note taking app when I am reading something on my tablet.

2 Likes

Nice, I use plain text for most things too (Org Mode, markdown, and paper).

2 Likes

For quick notes I use Samsung Notes.
If the information is important enough I’ll create a Word or Excel document and keep it for years or until its no longer needed.
Most recently I’ve begun storing information in a screensaver I am creating for Android using Processing.js. This one will contain all formulas related to Electronics and is in preparation of a Memory Palace.

1 Like

I use mind maps a lot

Traditional paper notes in class. I was never allowed to bring a laptop in.

My handwriting was atrocious and I never learned a good way to take notes, though. Usually it didn’t even matter if I took notes or not!

There were several times where I took notes and I couldn’t even read them a week later!

Evernote for me, both typed and voice dictated

I study maths, I think most people take notes using paper and pen. Nowadays there are more and more people using tablets/laptops to record notes, but I prefer the old fashioned way (not that i’ve ever tried the new way)

2 Likes

Mathematicians here might be interested in this Inkscape-based notetaking system:

Love the poll
What program is this in?
Martin