How to make Action stick to Person?

I am recently getting back to memorize playing card, I manage to create PAO for each card and when I try to memorize 1 deck of cards with Major System I have trouble recalling Action that sticks to a person.

Any suggestion? How do you stick action to your person when memorizing playing card?

2 Likes

I guess a lot of practice to get more familiar with the process of sticking the action to the person.

I cannot think of any other way than practice.

You want to make sure the whole PAO is vivid and actually connects to the location as well. This will help make more of an association so when you recall, you might get the object first but it then triggers the person or action because the whole story falls into place.

Memorize or visualize all your people performing their equivalent action of the number:

Create 100 loci.
Visualize your p-a-o in each respective position.
Review in tens.

This have allowed me to memorize multiple people, actions and objects and even different places.

1 Like

Sounds interesting!

Would you mind explaining more on

• Visualize your p-a-o in each respective position.

• Review in tens.

Thank you. I will try it today.

About the tens, I was thinking of a 00-99 pao list of digit pairs. Sorry. Though the principles are the same. Instead of tens, consider suits.
I use no codes in my lists, as I memorize them with the method of loci. Grouping similar in rooms, like 00-09 in a room or section, 20-29 in another. In the case of cards, the 13 cards of Clubs.

But… anyways, I have a numbers list to cards image translation code: 0=S=Spades, 8=H=Hearts, 3=C=Clubs, 4=D=Diamonds, J=6, Q=9,K=7. This in turn makes, 01-09 be SA-S9, for J, Q and K, I reverse the read to JS, QS, KS, this way I avoid conflicts and use my images from my number lists, without actually memorize anything new. Though, for transitioning to memorize decks of cards, I would need to do a recognition training. (I’m no longer going to do anything with cards).

As I misinterpreted the original question, and back to the original need, hope it helps:

Tips on better algorithms for recall

• Perfect the memorization of your lists.
  • People: I’d wouldn’t mind much about visualizing their faces or entire bodies, I’d go by the simplest silhouette or shadow even.
  • Actions, examine your action list and see which suits better to apply these options:
    a fixed animation: performs the action either with an specific object or manner,
    no animation at all: visualize a pose that indicate the action.
  • More on Actions: are they favorable for object manipulation, for instance, dance is a “on self” action, while Barret M84 Cal. 50 shooting, is well more about shooting something with a Barret M84, this is “with object”. But there are other actions that we can call: “on object” like spiting, bending, to punch.
  • Objects: if they are small, you better zooming, if they are big, miniaturizare them…, or don’t use these, there a million things to think on. Also, avoid tool objects to use them as objects for your list, because these tool object could easily be good fixed animation actions: nailing with a hammer, shooting with a handgun, blowing with a blower, impale with an spear, swing a bat, chop with an axe, cut with scissors…
  • Overall, focus on having your lists properly memorized and your recognition of the cards properly trained. Memorizing cards should become a matter of building the speed, simple routes on MPs, simple MP visuals (the original state of the loci), your images don’t need to be exotic nor exciting.
  • Although I advocate for active use of imagination, I don’t thing that for competition you need epic visuals or many details, what you need is to recognize the person image, the action image, object image.
  • Examples: Let’s pretend A. Einstein is one of your people, you could thing of his hair, and imagine the silhouette of a man with his hair, instead of trying to perfectly visualize Einstein (eww!). Let’s pretend one of your images in the beautiful actress Lea Seydoux, to me the striking thing is her face, the body don’t matter, so a generic female body shape if I even need to visualize such… if my action for a card is to spit, then I don’t need to visualize a person’s body, just a face spiting (a floating head or the rest of the body as a shadow). Also, you can use a fixed image for your people, consider looking up pictures or movies or interviews or if they are personal bring them from your memory… If Angelina Jolie were one of your people, Maleficent would be a good image, how can you forget that view???
  • Final suggestion about objects: consider not having them be interactive with the action and simply be always hold in hands or always appearing on the shoulder of your P performing A.
3 Likes

My own personal approach is the Reaction method. It makes the scene more memorable. It may not be a solution to memorizing fast but it’s a very effective method of making it stick.

4 Likes

Lets make a random example with a number generator. Google’s number generator gave me:

That gives us the following images according to my number system.
P - 443: Mayline (Pokemon)
A - 32: Crashing
O - 698: Fat Tissue

Lets also take a locus that almost everyone has: the front door of a house.

Those four bits of information are important, so I will make a story with them.
I will see Mayline taking a running start, she leaps towards my front door and crashes through it! However, her landing is soft, because she lands on top of a large pile of fat tissue.

Another example:
138: Hayabusa (Mulan)
20: Kissing
258: Cake
Locus: Couch

I see Hayabusa flying towards the couch, which is now made of cake. As he flies around it, he kisses the cake couch on every spot.

Every story has each element involved in a way, nothing is completely passive. They also trigger some emotions, which is always a good thing. Making these kinds of stories might take some time early on, but you will slowly get better at it as you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to review speed, I suggest using a number generator for just person or object or action and review those by ten at a time and then twenty at a time etc. It’s methodical but after a few hours of doing this over a couple of days you’ll start to develop a “feel” that a certain number is a certain P or A or O, in which case only then you can start practicing vividness to your visualizations, which should involved all senses (most people forget to involve things like sound and smell as well emotion), and should also involve lively movement!

Thank you. I tried your technique and it’s working with my PAO. What the system you are using?

1 Like

I am using a category system :slight_smile:

You can find the entire list here:

3 Likes