Has anyone here successfully trained synesthesia

Is there anyone who has succesfully trained synesthesia here. If so, how did you do it, and what kind of results did you get?

I’m using a browser extention to color the text.

2 Likes

These two forum posts might be of help to you:

2 Likes

What’s your logic behind the coloring?

Too lazy to come up with my own colors :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve read those posts. I want to know if there is anyone on this forum that has tried this and had success

1 Like

Are you exclusively after Grapheme–color synesthesia?

if not

There are different types of synesthesia I have managed to train myself to acquire, such as ticker-tape synesthesia or others that I have acquired accidentally such as motion-line synesthesia (also have managed to get rid of).

The principle has always really been the same, invoke a strong cross stimulation of whatever two things you want in a few variations, then take breaks before this connection is strained too much, after a while it just sticks completely automatically. If you want to get rid of it you just need to overwrite it or inhibit it, which is harder over longer time, particularly for the latter.

In terms of results, initially while the connection is not strong enough, you have a much larger drain of attention. You would find it more demanding to use the synesthesia process over the standard one. After a while it’s relatively indifferent.

The benefits have some form of pattern to them in my opinion. In the case of the earlier motion-line synesthesia as I called it, I involuntarily saw lines for all forms of motion I was putting my attention to. This made my accuracy when I am using a pen or mouse much more pronounced. I would subconsciously not draw arcs but straight lines for example.

In my case however, I am relatively used to forming involuntary connections. If I tap my finger and move my toe in sync around 10 times, then if I start tapping my finger, my toe will move involuntarily, usually after 6 involuntary movements it gets a bit easier to restrain.

1 Like

Hi,

I have learned to associate smells and images very strongly as well as correlating hand drum beats to words (admittedly it sounds strange but it works as I play music)

Stefos

3 Likes

I wonder if synesthesia can be succesfully trained. Consistency is the key to true synesthesia.

Let’s say you can smell words or pictures. I could show you a picture of a strawberry and you would smell a strawberry but if I showed you a picture of something you have never seen before you should still smell something because your synesthetic reaction should still go on. You should still have the same smell associated to that picture years later.

True synesthesia still occurs to new things and experiences with consistency, even if you don’t want to.

I don’t know if this is possible to achieve because a person who has trained his “synesthetic experience” only trained for certain things and isn’t prepared for everything. Thus has no consistency.

My brain associates characteristics, feelings and certain colors to the digits 0 to 9, I’ve had this as long as I can remember. Every now and then I get surprised by a number because it is a number I have never seen before and the feeling to it overwhelming. A few months ago I was sitting in a car and the car in front of me had the number 1914 on his license plate. I got such a nostalgic feeling when I saw that number. 1914 felt like a weapon, an old weapon from war times. I talked for 20 minutes about 1914 because it was so nice to see such a number, even thinking about 1914 now gives me a good feeling. Even with new numbers I can get an immediate and involuntarily strong response, this is true consistency.

2 Likes

Hey Johnny,

Do you also experience this with letters?

After your response I am now convinced that I also have synesthesia, because a lot of times my brain associates things together, even things I didn’t know. For example, I play the piano and a friend was visiting me. He played a song that I (still) don’t know the name, but after hearing the sound of it, I got a feeling of it and I tasted the music.

Also, I took a Chinese course some time ago and after seeing the characters, brain associated feelings, smells or something olfactory with some of them.

Yours Sincerely

2 Likes

I don’t experience it with letters but I do experience something else with random pictures, my brain creates these worlds and voids associated with pictures. The more random a picture is, the more likely I will feel something. A picture of a person does nothing whereas a picture of a corner of a sign can make me feel all sort of stuff. When I am stressed this is actually dangerous because it has the potential to trigger a meltdown, which I had when I was 19. The pictures that triggered me where the pictures in the credits of the movie Rain man 1988.

This is the credits:
https://youtu.be/-7zDRbWVJS8

It should happen to you all the time if you have synesthesia. Right now there are numbers on my screen while I type this like the time, the number of responses in this thread, how long ago a post was made, etc. I am used to these small numbers but if I look or think about them too long I start to feel their presence a lot, which I do right now as I finish this sentence, lol.

You should have the same experience with smells. Looking at random text or characters might be your trigger, perhaps you should explore it. The description you come up with can say a lot. I was talking about the number 1914 for 20 minutes just because of the feelings I was getting from it, as an example.

2 Likes

I find that if I train synesthetic associations they often are exactly like this.

For some reason they appear to be a lot more general than just the training data. I would theorize that this might be because both experiences are already quite general so combining them forms a synesthetic general experience.

I have that form of synesthesia where I hear movement in images. I’m certain this was developed but I hear this regardless of what variation I am seeing, even if in a fantasy setting someone starts using magic, I still get sounds. I know it’s very robust because I get the sounds even if I visualize say someone slashing with a blade 50 times a second (which is quite fast).

I would say it’s somewhat difficult to classify, I have 4 kinds of experiences with synesthesia if I try to put categories to them.

category 1

There are those kinds that are standard synesthetic forms, subconscious involuntary stimulus, such that perhaps you could be spaced out and still trigger the association.

category 2

Those that require conscious attention, so if you had a picture of digits and were day-dreaming they wouldn’t really invade your daydream without you actively putting attention to them (noticing them).

category 3

Those that require some form of on or off switch, but then start category 2 performance.

category 4

Perhaps not exactly synesthesia, but those that often synchronize rather than form associations, e.g tapping to a rhythm.

I would also say the full picture is a lot more complicated because I have also experienced inhibitory synesthesia where I actually have triggers that avoid forms of association.

On controlling the experience

Also while involuntary it appears to me that it’s indeed feasible to illicit some form of control. There are times when I can use a lot of effort to inhibit a experience, usually this is more difficult. A good example is a synesthetic experience most people share;when we hear words as we are reading. I can inhibit this by focusing on doing so but it’s relatively difficult. I once managed to briefly forget how to read by doing this with training. This is something I could do less flexibly but better as a child, as I used to be able to completely filter out all sounds I am hearing by trying to do so.

1 Like

They should always be like this.

You should also hear sounds when you are moving or someone else around you is moving, wether it is a slow movement or fast movement, all the time, every time, even if you don’t want to. Moving only your fingers should trigger you, that is how sensitive true synesthesia is which also adds to its consistency.

I remember scrolling the web on my old phone a few years ago and an ad of a navigation device moved by on my screen. I saw it for half a second and I became completely emotional, just a glimps was enough to trigger me, I had to scroll back to look at it. During that time I couldn’t watch a lot of commercials, especially car commercials because they triggered me the whole time.

There isn’t a general testing method to test for synesthesia because there are so many types of synesthesia but the one thing all synesthetes have in common is consistency, they cannot turn it off and it is always happening, doesn’t matter what scale. Could be about the tiniest and slowest things but it will still trigger something.

How did you do this?

Do you have any suggestions as how I can train it?

Well:

To associate smells with a visual object, you have to acclimate yourself to the smell first when holding the aromatic object in question.
Over time, you have to be able to see in your minds eye, the object your discussing or visualizing.
Finally, you “marry” the smell and visualized object.

Insofar as hand drumming is concerned,
I use the sounds “Pa” and “Tu” to denote Treble notes versus the bass notes (outer rim of hand drum versus the center.)
I also have another nonsensical word for a finger roll I use.

Does this make sense?

Stefos

1 Like

So you have to create a smell in your mind while visualizing an object in your mind?

No…when you smell the object you must create a mental image.

Stefos

Let’s say there is something called a ‘sense’ such that two or more “senses” cross activated automatically, imply synesthesia.

For starters using one sense on its own is not effective to train synesthesia, so the obvious starting point for training is to actually use both senses you want to have blended, at near the same time.

What you want is not a specific case, so you don’t really have to focus on a specific case, the data you are using for training might as well be different every time.

That is, if grapheme-color synesthesia, you should not be using the same words but you should be using the same colours.

It’s not a good idea to do it passively for the simple reason that we are reading black text for many years but all text does not appear black to us. Simply reading coloured text, is not likely to illicit a strong enough stimulus to overwrite this.

The difficulty with this is largely that most stimuli are not sufficiently strong enough to cause any changes as far as grapheme-color synesthesia is concerned. You might be able to link the visualisation of the colour letter to the normal letter in order to achieve the perception that a certain letter is a certain colour. Perhaps with stronger visualization you might be able to actually see it automatically, but this may take a month/months of training.

Stability tends to come with time.

So, say I’m smelling corn, I create a mental image of a tree. And if I smell tea tree oil, I create a mental image of a teabag and so on

No Themaskedrebel,

If you should handle corn and then create an image of you eating corn and tasting it and if you smell tea tree oil, you should visualize yourself being covered in it and smelling it and feeling its texture.

Stefos