Zill's Training Journal

Oh, this answers a question for me. I am up to 60 in my countries/elements palace in my house (I’m cramming them a bit but I’m still going to run out by 90) and I want to start the history timeline, but I don’t walk around the village enough. Too much time at work. If I start the history timeline over the top, that would be really efficient. But I thought that was cheating/ wouldn’t work. I haven’t started a PAO list but I’ve noticed that my palace has manifested its own in many locations. I should probably start with those guys.
Thanks Zillia for asking the question. Sorry for hijacking your journal!

3 Likes

All hijackers are welcome! :grin: It’s interesting to read other peoples experience.

2 Likes

And we’ve reached over 42 post count, the meaning of life haha.
Today was a decent day overall, but my mental energy levels faltered after midday due to a lack of sleep, so I have not memorized much, or done anything with my Prefix Project (Rolls of the tongue nicely, doesn’t it?) Went through some palaces, including the seven wonders, and created a new of classroom in my former high school.
I will put my PAO images in a Anki deck tomorrow, to really get them in. One thing worthy of note is that I find that my PAO images that were created on teh fly from the numbers when I’m memorizing are usually a lot better than when I especially sit down to create them. I guess real usage is important, so I have changed a few of them to these more instinctive ones.
Tried to visualize a few location during the bus ride, but they changed the course today and that threw me of. :confused:
That is all, hope you have a lovely evening!

2 Likes

So memorized the first 102 digits of pi today! I took 102 because I hate to see some action without an object for it to happen to, feels a bit incomplete.
Also created an Anki deck for my PAO, and it was ironically harder figuring out excel than memorizing pi.
Nothing much today, but I intend to finalize my Prefix Project tomorrow and memorize three recipes. But now it’s sleepy time. Goodnight everyone!

2 Likes

Another day, it got to nearly 30+ degrees here, so not the best temperature for memory training, but still did my routine except for the list memorization.

When I just got into the art of memory, one of the most common things ive heard is that you have to walk through your palace/journey the exact same order, both forwards and backward. This is alright, but it made me really confused how people can cram so much in the same palace, if you skip images to focus on others, wouldn’t that break the rule?

So I did my small palace for my videogames to test this out, and today while reviewing it I had an epiphany. I realized it was far more efficient to go through each game list rather than everything at once, and then it becomes multiple journeys in the same palace! My journey through the palace changes depending on which games I want to see, but the individual journeys themselves don’t, so it still fits this ground rule that I’ve known!
This might be common knowledge, but for me, it was a little bit of a wow moment.

Onwards to my Prefix Project. I only just memorized a small recipe for a milkshake, and also started memorizing this table, and ve been experimenting and trying to create a system for the amounts. So far, I have established two things.
I made images for the prefixes and the amounts they get attached to, so my image for deciliter is Daisy holding a litter (liter) of kittens. I tend to read my images top to bottom, so Daisy’s head is replaced with the amount. The only tricky thing left was how to deal with decimals, but this is what I instinctively came up with:
If there’s a decimal after an even digit number, the image for that number will have a spear lodged in it, to indicate that the following will be decimals. 28.35 will have Navi having a spear in her, while she’s trying to deliver mail.
If it is after 1 or an uneven amount of digits, like 1.5, I will have the image for 15 being split in half by a spear. So far it has worked, but I don’t see how one could spear an action, so I will probably come up with a better marking system soon.

So my milkshake recipe calls for 1.5 deciliters of ice cream. So we’ll have Tyler the Creator in Daisys dress with a litter of icecreams, being split in half.

Finally, if there are 4 digits in the amount, I made it a PAO where the object is the image of the prefix. So 1 Kg = 1000 grams means TS Elliot will be decapitating a Grammy Awards Statue. Pure entertainment.
This got alot longer than I intended, but I thought of a lot of things today and need to write them out to have mental peace.
If you got all the way here, thanks for reading!

2 Likes

@Zillia, the way I see the palace and journey are that the palace has a rule for traversal which allows skipping around and the journey does not. I have spent much time to understand the systems and put my analysis out there.

The palace is a set of location pegs like we use number pegs. The journey is a story that follows locations and has to be narrated from beginning to end. But there is also the pegged journey which merges the two which is what it sounds like you have. For each game you have a story and that game is deposited in your palace. You can skip games in your sequence to the game journey you want. I don’t think this is common terminology but I think you have some very good intuitive sense of analysis for what works and how you are using the systems.

Your prefix project brought back a problem I had when dealing with measurements in a medical context. Maybe these will give you some more ideas:

I’m enjoying seeing your progress with solving problems. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Thanks @thinkaboutthebible ! Interesting how you phrase it, my interpretation of a Journey was that it’s any typ of peg list that isn’t in a defined space, so I see virtual palaces made from movies as journeys. But now that I think about it, I can skip over the locations of the games, but I never skip around the smaller stories that tell me the release year, so I think your meaning, which I saw as stories, holds up.
How can the Art of Memory be so complicated and so simple at the same time?

1 Like

@Zillia it’s all about the traversal or how you get from one place to the next. You can also talk about going from one person to the next, or one item to the next as well if your pegs are that!

You can either follow a narrative line, a story, which is a journey when talking about places or you can follow a rule, which is a palace. The most common rules are ordered sets of numbers or the alphabet.

I plan on reviving the bestiary in my mind which are subject pegs (number pegs are mostly item pegs, palaces are location pegs) of animals ordered by alphabet. 26 places are more than enough for many lists.

I think the reason why it’s complicated is because of people’s expectations. There are six main possibilities for a memory system: subject, item and terrain in either a narrative or rule traversal. People expect only two or three. Then it gets even more confusing because nobody uses the same terminology. It took me a year or so to figure out what all the words meant. If I can help out, let me know. You seem to be doing well because the main thing is to practice.

2 Likes

This is terrific. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Was on a bit of a hiatus due to a small trip and couldn’t update. In reality, I could, but there are few things I hate more than typing out long sentences on an Ipad, but now in the sweet embrace of my keyboard, I’m home.

The last week has been good, a bit of reviewing here and there, and I have started with the anatomy and I am done with all the major bones! At least their English names. The trickiest thing for me was remembering the shape of them, and some of them are still a bit blurry. The most important thing was the name and location though, and now those images will work as pegs that I can attach some stories to when I learn more about them.
Right now, I think the palace only needs a bit more refining, and attaching the Swedish names to the images.

I visited a few museums, and while there, I pondered on how they use space for the information being taught.
I realized that when I recalled what was at one exhibition, my mind would also jump to what space that information was in the room, and also how the text was positioned on the placards, where the images hanged, etc.
Similarly, and I’ve noticed this for a long time, I would recall the shape of the text on a book page when recalling the info, and thus the pages uniquely spaced became somewhat more memorable.
This might be something general in how humans remember things, or it is something that has become more noticeable to me as I try to make visual images for everything now.
That was one thing I practiced while there, I find the exhibitions were excellent at practicing memorizing on the fly, and even if I memorized a few details, it made me able to recall more, even details I haven’t memorized, all from association!
Other than that, not much to report. Memorized a small list yesterday, and also my morning and nightly routine a few days ago, but no new palaces for a while. I visited some amazing art houses yesterday, so I will definitely begin to farm some palaces from there.
That is all, thanks for checking in!

3 Likes

Am on another small trip, but decided i needed to do a mini uppdate. This day has bee really good, I stuck with my routine, created a new palace from a restaurant I was at today, and memorised a few steps and pointers from a book I was reading (around 16 items and a few summarising images). I also finished with the Swedish names for the Major Bones.
Right now my plan is to wrap up the the smaller palace for figures and conversions, and then continue on with the muscles and additional info on the bones. I can still recall how many kilos a stone is, 6.35, so I think I’m good to go.

3 Likes

All that sounds positive, Zillia. Good job.

1 Like

I apologize to everyone for being gone for a while, I lost my priorities a bit as my work was finsihing up and school was starting, and my own “oh I’ll write it tomorrow” ways.
Nonetheless, right now things are going good. I made a a little school prepping and designated a palaces for each one of my subjects a few days before school began.
I guess the updates would be:

I haven’t finished the muscles on the anatomy palace, because I’m unsure of my order, and the muscles are a bit harder for me, the shapes are a bit more complex, although less repetitive than the bones.
As a “procrastination” I’ve been working on my History Journey, currently going to the major events of the creation of the universe ( 13.3 billion to 2.2 billion) as layed out by Histography. It’s a lot of fun, and I am astonished at the many layers of rocks and belts that our world is built upon.

The school start has so far been good. I tend to switch between creating images in my subject palaces and actually writing down notes, pen on paper. I will try to find I balance, but I know sketch a lot of short comics in them, and I find note taking is in general a lot more fun.

Also, a closing thought, my boss told me that I was the fastest one at opening the store compared to some people there’s who’s worked for years. Now, is this entirely due me memorising the routine? Probably not, but it certainly helped.
That’s all, I’ll come back tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Alrighty then, Saturday was a bit slow, but I went through my Anki deck for my PAO, and went trough three palaces. I have a habit now where I will review three after waking up in the morning, so that i have atleast done something that day. Have also started to work on my number memorization with Human Benchmark, when I first tried it a few weeks ago, my best score was seven, which doesn’t even trump the human average. Hmph.
That is all, found a really good source for memorizing Anatomy today. I find that, while the list on Wikipedia is fine, that the Grays anatomy illustrations are hard to visualize. I’ve been searching for some good 3d model applications, and this one seems like a good map. How come I’ve never learned about the lymphatic system in school? What even is it, there are so many rabbit holes. :slight_smile:

That is all, and to make up for my broken promise on updating yesterday, heres a website illustrating the changes of borders throughout history.

2 Likes

Back again, don’t know how. Today was good, i compiled a list of about 40 locations that could be used for palaces, it feels great.
I also did about 16 of the major facial muscles in my anatomy palace today, the images are a bit fuzzy, but I can understand, and coming up with stories for the names is pretty fun and challenging.
I also read a few of Alex Mullens posts today after seeing him mentioned here. Nevertheless, his ideas have made me think a little, i previously only used anki for memory palaces that havent been used yet, since i figured they must be remembered the same way any other piece of information is. However, after reading Lynne’s book and his comments, I realize that i myself change a palace a lot when actually putting info into it, compared to when i first walk through it.
I do still think doing a initial scan is useful, but ive already started slipping from anki for some time, so i think nows the time to give it up.
that’s all my thoughts for now.

2 Likes

Hello! Well looks like accidentally went offline again, but not to worry.
Since last time i’ve

• completed my anatomy palace (more or less, all of the major, external muscles and their names have their place, there are a few tho, like extensor digitorum longus, whos names i havent quite put down in images yet. But 90% complete, and knowing its composed of 27 bones, i will never look at my hand the same way again
  • Come a bit on my History Timeline with prehistory, using my dads office and Histography. Ive become a little unsure of the timing now however, for most dinosaurs and animals it lists the times as diffrent than what is on Wikipedia and other sources. For all other events its worked fine, however i think its because it lists a animals begining as “when earliest ancestor” evolved rather than “version that we know today” first appeared, onwards to finding more timelines and sources i guess.

The one thing im working on right now is to not “read” my images as much when im reviewing. Ive realized that a part of the magic of the mind palace technique being able to decode one images easily and when one has a need. I actually find this quite difficult right now, since not reading the meaning makes me fear i might forget it, funny, isnt that what memory techniques are supposed to prevent.
Would love for tips on this, either way, feels good to finally get this post up.

4 Likes

Hi Zilla! How are you doing with your projects? I just wondered if you quit working on them or are just offline for a while ^^ Either way: Good luck with it all!

1 Like