Zill's Training Journal

Yeah, I figure it’s possible, at least on public transportation. It would be fun to figure out a method for that. I use some outside spaces, but no long walk journeys like @LynneKelly

Also, 97 locations inside a bus is pretty dense!

2 Likes

Thank you, with all the posters for mask wearing added recently, it has a lot of potential!
Thinking of it now, i guess one idea would be to have snapshots of the buildings and stops you pass on the buss, and build a journey around that. Since theres an order to when you see them, wouldnt it be similar to a movie journey?
I do have one problem with the bus. i have difficulty making all the rows of two seats memorable, after around identical 3 places my mind starts to jumble it together, or expand the space between, i actually had to remove some seats because of that.

2 Likes

I think the journey using each bus stop as a location is a great idea. The traversal of a journey is built-in and could be enhanced with a narrative based on stop name or imaginary creatures you find at each one.

But with the bus interior, you have no traversal method, so it’s really a palace and you need to apply a traversal method. Maybe front to back, and left to right because of the way we read? Or is it just the posters that maybe go clockwise from the place you enter the bus?

And then there’s the problem of distinguishing all the seats. Are you using the individual seats as locations?

1 Like

Yes mostly, I do have some small personal connection to a few seats (my favourite, the one i was when I reunited with my best friend etc) or imagine imagine in a different color etc and that allows me to group them. The rows near the back however, since I don’t sit there often, don’t, so ill have to come up with something else. I know there’s six pairs, but my mind finds it difficult because they’re identical. Maybe I have to add some differences, we’ll see.
Also I go clockwise in the bus.

1 Like

When there are repeats of the same kind of items, like near me there are house number sequences that repeat and can form the same narrative each time, you can apply it as a template and modify it because you know what the template is.

So, if there are six pairs, I’m assuming a pair on the left and right each, there are three instances of something we can create a template for. Then you can order the rows with a number peg or create a narrative between the images of the rows if it’s only three rows in the back.

Let’s create the number pegs first. The first row in the back in the Major system is tie, so I’ll have all the images be in formal attire. The second is Noah, so I’ll have a pair of animals in each seat. The third is ma, so there are mothers with children in those seats.

Now you come up with a template with a very vague image to merge with each of the four images. The template can be based on any of what I call the SEA-IT visual data types for subject, optional enhancements, actions (mostly tied to the subject), item/object and terrain/location. It helps to have a short narrative of why they are in the order they are or at least a rule about the order.

If it is a subject, there might be a son, a father, a mother, and a daughter sitting together. The parents sit on the aisle to protect the children. If it is an item, it could be some food purchased from the sidewalk side window, a container for the food, some package or case to hold business papers someone left, and a piece of clothing that someone waved outside the other window. If it is a location, my favorite, maybe it’s four states from west to east like California, Colorado, Kansas, and New York. I prefer to use larger areas like the US, Europe, the Mediterranean area, and Asia.

Now you merge the two. I’m using the terrain template and the number peg. The formal attired back row is a suit and tie, a royal gown, a sheik’s robe, and a silk dress. The Noah row is a pair of bald eagles, a fox and a hound, a pair of camels, and a pair of elephants. The ma row is a frumpy mom with a kid watching a TV on her lap, a young well-dressed mom with hair tied back with a scarf and young child in a sling, a mom and child both wearing face veils, and a mom feeding her child rice porridge.

Then to make it really reusable, make sure to fill out the remaining data by writing out the complete SEA-IT structure. The enhancements are for the four major data types under each.

Subject Action Item Terrain
a businessman working on a laptop in a Zoom meeting
wearing a suit and tie opening spreadsheets with wi-fi connection to earphones with his boss and 10 other people

This could be a way you remember seats in the cafe as well if you want to associate them with orders and customers. (I was a waiter but used paper to remember orders.) The people would replace the subjects in the template or merge with them. Essentially what we’ve created is a grid of categories and pegs.

I hope you like the idea of the template. It works to introduce details when there aren’t enough. Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Thank you for the idea! I like your categorizing of visual information into data types: actions, items terrain, etc, but I’m not sure I understand it. From my view, you added number pegs to order them in, and the template is some detail or action that gets added to all of them to tie them together?
Sidenote, I found your Github page and I am astonished at the amount of work you’ve put into this. I will probably read/skim through your glossary tomorrow, excellent sources!

2 Likes

I finished Tony Buzan’s The Speedreading book yesterday and i am rn reviewing a few mental notes and summaries I made during it, overall it was pretty good, and my confidence in reading faster has definitely gone up.

As for my memory journey, I have memorized a few of the smoothie recipes we use (which I found surprisingly difficult, I can make characters out of the salad ingredients just fine, but making one for X amount of soy milk or cups of frozen mango? I might create some set characters/objects for quantities later.) Also a few of the coffee drinks so I will never accidentally add coffee to a chai latte again. :woman_facepalming:
One thing I’ve decided is to create a PAO system for numbers, I’ve stuck with a pure Major system for a while now, but a few days ago I took the human benchmark test for number memorizing and I was pretty disappointed with my results, and I think by this point, the more characters, the better. Thankfully some of my Major system images gave me a good ground to start on, and it’s almost complete! Just a bit more refining to make sure no actions are to similar, and a few buggers like 16 that still havent been properly defined.

Last thing, as i was searching about for more info on PAO, i came across this page, which claims to use a method of overlapping actions and objects to be able to encode 8 digits in one PAO image.
"To learn the non-code based 3-digit people and objects, we use the overlap method with our actions and old objects. With the Overlap Method we use two 2-digit images and overlap them to a 3-digit number. 76 (action) and 65 (object) become 765. Together they help us remember the new 3-digit person and object."
Has anybody used anything like this?
Hope all of you have a wonderful day ahead.

1 Like

@Zillia, I realize I dumped a lot of info on you at one time so I apologize for that. It was a rich vein of exploration for me and I eventually will expand it out into several sections of posts. Thanks for your compliments. Maybe it will help to think that PAO is SAI in my data types and then I add one more of location and work with enhancements on all four of those.

I’ve seen that there about nine different template types. Maybe an overlay would be a better term? You start with one data type, say a room, and overlay it with a peg system you know, say the compass points (NW=Bill Gates writing code in Seattle). You then merge what is going on in the room with enhancements from the compass. My example for you used number pegs. I’ve seen stencil used also but I’m not satisfied with that either.

But I’m seriously thinking of preparing a number of exercises instead of just explaining things letting people discover what is good and what isn’t. The glossary is a good place to start. The other main document is the systems overview. Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

A new day, a new entry. Today was pretty good, I finished up with my pao list, but I’m still not all that happy with it, and today while going through an older palace of N64 games I created some time ago, my mind still jumps to the old, flimsy Major System, but for others, I knew the PAO in a flash. I will probably make Anki cards of them later.

I still walking through journeys takes a long time for me, and today while going through the older ones, I would still remember at least 75%, 80% But it happened a lot of times where my palace is empty, but I have a vague feeling that something is meant to be there, and after a small while, then see the image.
I think the problem with them is that the images I want to remember aren’t sufficiently enough tied to their place, before reading the Memory Code i would just place them in spaces, decently placed apart. But now I’m starting to realize the importance of having everything interact with everything. I have made the images sufficiently memorable, but their connection to the loci was still off.

So from now on, I will strive to have them interact with their surroundings more, I should be able to look at a location and instantly remember the connection.

Other than that, my bus palace is doing well, created a new one of another workplace, and wrote a post here today! Goodnight everyone!

2 Likes

Today I actually followed a little mini routine I set up yesterday: 15-minute recall of the day’s mental notes and a few walk troughs of old journeys, (today I managed three), 10 m for creating a new palace/journey, and 25-35 minutes to memorize a list of items. I do wanna add a card exercise later, heard it’s effective for training memorization on the fly, which i think will help with all the mental notes I’m taking right now.
Today I did a top 25 list of Gameboy games for a magazine I like. Needed a written list of my PAO to attach the years to those images, and because of that, a few of them have begun to stick because all the games are released between 1989-1996, so lots of number repetitions.
I also took extra time to double-check that the image had a proper location to be in, I realized my first instinct is to let them “float” near a location, rather than firmly attach them to it. It’s hard to explain, but I feel like my journeys become more 3d when I do that.
Thats all I have for today.

3 Likes

Today was a little slow since I worked extra, but here goes: went through a few palaces on the bus home from work, made a palace when I realized I still remember my old school cafeteria, and when I got home I memorized a list of the top 25 Gameboy advance games, same magazine. It also made me realize a lot of games that, when I first read it, I wanted to try. Onward to emulating Advance Wars.
Two things I was experimenting with today were: 1: My Pao LIst and 2, Can two different lists be incorporated in the same palace?
So I have memorized a top 25 list of the best n64, Gameboy games, and Gameboy advance games, and I put all of them on the same journey, my old choir church. At first, there was just the n64 list, but I decided I wanted to experiment with cramming/nestling, so I placed all the Gameboy games below it and made almost all the images be in shades of green, to visually represent the console.
So Mystical Ninja Goemon is on top of the table, and we have Batman and a Gargoyle jump on miniature buses below it. (Batman and Gargoyles Quest, both released in 1990, and both are platformers)

But adding the advance games was a bit more difficult since I already crammed so much in the beginning, I had to spread them out a little, and unlike the Gameboy, the best I could come up with is having the images be framed with a purple frame, like the actual Gameboy Advance.
For the PAO, I wanted to remember two numbers, the year it was released and its placing on the list, so the object became an image representing the game itself.
So that’s an in-depth explanation of what I’ve done.

Also, an idea that I just came up with while writing this, could one use a videogame controller as a lukasa? My first instinct is no because they are not created to be visually interesting, however, one gets a strong muscle memory connection with them. I can visualize a few of them and use them as journeys that way, but the thought intrigues me.
That is all, three day streak everyone!

3 Likes

Metivier also talked about how his images tend to float in front of his locations. Mine tend to function as real people and objects, attached to the floor or on top of objects on the floor, or sticking into the walls. For lost images, that’s a great opportunity to analyze your image encoding! Maybe your “van” wasn’t memorable enough, so it would be better to make it a purple van, or a hover-van, or a van made entirely of wood, or the Mystery Machine van from Scooby Doo. Add more action, collisions, size, carnage, emotions, smell, sound, add van Helsing driving a van.

Then on your next memorization adventure, you might add one or another of these elements to every part of your palace and see if it makes the whole thing stickier.

Another problem could be you missed a review on the forgetting curve

2 Likes

The reason I used van so much was because advance breaks up to Ad+van which is easy to make an image from. Van Helsing makes a good figure to interact with all of your Gameboy advance games, and he seems more memorable than a purple frame. Maybe reimagining a used palace in purple(or green like you mentioned) and then place all your Gameboy advance games in your brand new palace.

2 Likes

(sorry, wanted to reply to too much so this became three separate posts, don’t feel compelled to reply to all or any of them) the video game controller as lukasa is thought provoking. You could use link it to a virtual memory palace, if the controls are complex enough. Mapping information all Luigi moves on different parts of battlefield in super smash bros.
Up-b on the left corner of the top platform of battlefield and it hits Ness sleeping in a C-tshirt to remember “Siesta”

Up-b on the right corner to remember “siempre” Mario praying

Normal image substitution, but with the muscle movements adding another layer of association

1 Like

Dont be sorry, and great idea on using Van Helsing! For a few of the games that have Advance in the titel i imagine them being covered in pop-up add or being annoyed with them, I find if I just remember the ad i can figure out the rest. And yes, it’s very fun to find out what makes things stick, will continue experimenting!!
But your mapping idea is interesting, will it be like a small memory play where performing the actions in said locations is the hooks to information?

1 Like

Yeah, I think that is a good explanation of it. It would be a typical memory palace for me (albeit a virtual one which is a technique I’m not currently using) where images are placed in locations and decode into information. The bridging figure (like van Helsing or Luigi in my examples) would merely be to order the information. (the alphabetical or roster order of characters can be used to sequence large amounts of information. Words beginning with P being stored using peach interacting with all the words in order. Starting at first location peach interacts with Paieria, then pan, then passar for example.)

The only new feature, would be the tactile sensation of a controller aiding the memorization. Perhaps something like up-b for verbs, down-a for adjectives, etc.

1 Like

The previous two days I had unfortunately little time to memorize stuff, lots of things happened, but today i managed to do a little bit.
Memorized all of the sandwiches that the cafe i work at has, a list of fourteen things, and im also setting up images for concepts that often get repeated for things.
So I have made a list with characters for all the weekdays and months, a lot of Nordic gods for the weekdays. I also made up a little rule that the characters for weekdays and months will all be wearing a calendar around their necks so that i don’t confuse “Friday-meaning-Freja” with regular Freja if I ever memorize the Nordic gods, which I will probably do in the future. Add to my “to memorize” list. The months were harder, and I’m still a little stumped with June, but ill come up with something
I also finally got the opening and closing times of the restaurant. The system became a PAO where the person is the opening time, the action is the closing time, and the object is the days where those times are in effect. I make the person have a large watch around their head to signify that it’s about time and nothing else.

So another exploration of some weird “system” I made, love to hear thoughts!
Now I’m onward to figuring out characters for all the cooking measurements, or is it more effective to make some for the prefixes? (Deci, milli, etc)
Either way, I’m on my way forward. Hace a good day everyone!

2 Likes

Ah I love your explorations of the systems you come up with!

Memorizing the opening and closing hours of shops I visit frequently is on my list to memorize, so I may come back to your ideas and draw inspiration from them :slight_smile: I like how you give your characters certain marker images to sort of label them, I think that may really come in handy in the long run.

I’ve also been thinking of ways to better memorize metric units, especially for the purpose of teaching children. My idea was also characters and letting them interact in a story, incooperating imaginative justifications for their positioning, like why Milli is so small and comes before Centi, or why Hecto is so big and comes after Deka. Though, I haven’t come up with anything concret yet.

Good luck with your further memorization and I’m excited to hear more of your thoughts!

1 Like

So today was pretty good, on the bus ride home I took my time to walk through some old palaces, and I’ve created a new one: my local church, around 70 loci. Since it’s been a year since I’ve been there I couldn’t remember all the pews, so i had to stick with the first two of each “block”.
Memorized a few more mental notes from the workday, and used the Train Station in ACNL to memorize the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. I managed to cram them together pretty good with a story, that poor colossus, how could he prick his toe on the Pyramid of Giza?
Anyways, I am creating some rapscallions for the Metric Prefixes, and i also did a few images for units, and then these images are combined to get the amount, Deci+Liter= Deciliter. I’m actually very eager to try this out by memorizing recipes, it can’t hurt.
Still, I found it pretty tricky to make up a character for a tablespoon, so we well see if it sticks.
Now, I think work is winding down a bit, and my daily mental note checking is becoming pretty second nature, so now I’m divided on whether I shall start my history journey, or begin with the bones and muscles of the human body.
I will probably do the anatomy scince its a much less denser subject (it atleast appears to be so for me right now) than the history of the universe. But yesterday, I rediscovered the wonderful Histography, which makes me so giddy to start with the History Journey,

I recommend absolutely everyone to check it out!
That’s all, see you on the flipside.

4 Likes

Thank you AutumnBreeze! I just posted that I had made some progress on the metric units.
I used characters whose names reminded me of the word, Deci is Daisy from Mario, Hekto, is Hektor with Achilles heel stuck in him, etc. I like your idea of there being a story to set them in order. Maybe change the characters sizes to reflect their differences? My image for Centi is Abraham Lincoln, have him be 10 times smaller than Daisy to reflect their difference. Then again, one probably cant scale something down that accurately. I was thinking of attaching some PAO/Major numbers onto the characters for clarification, 0.1 for Daisy, 00.1 for Abraham, and onwards.
I feel like we’re falling into an interesting rabbit hole!

1 Like