Which is your best 🧠 memory improvement Book📚

I listed here some books that can helps you to beginning your journey in memory improvement.

1. Unlimited memory (Kevin Horsley)
  2. How to develop brilliant memory (Dominic O’ Brien)
  3. The Mind Map book (Tony Buzan)
  4. Memory Improvement (Ron white)
  5. The Memory book (Harry Lorain & jerry lucas)
  6. Remember Remember (Cooke)
  7. Remember it! (Nelson dellis)
  8. How to memorize anything (Aditi singhal)

And somebody knows other memory Improvement books also then please post here the name of books or something about books.

I wanna to know more memory improvement books.

Note: One thing that i am not mentioned here , ‘Moonwalking with Einstein’ because though it’s about memory , it’s neither very practical nor a novel , so it doesn’t really have a place on these lists .

That said , it’s a great read on Joshua foer’s journey.(i read this in maybe artofliving website )

4 Likes

If you haven’t seen them yet, there is a list of memory books and my old reading list (which hasn’t been updated in a long time).

3 Likes

@Josh
Thanks for the link of the books.

And i think other people can also tell their favourite memory improvement books here.

Well , i think you already mentioned many fantastic books.(awesome hardwork)

1 Like

My favourite book with memory techniques “Marvellous Student 151 Hidden Study Techniques and Mindset”.

3 Likes

For pure practical: Remember It! - Nelson Dellis

For combined practical + history: Memory Craft - Lynne Kelly

For historical and philosophical: The Book of Memory - Mary Carruthers

3 Likes

^THIS!!

There is something different about “Harry Lorain”. He sounds so passionate,so skilled,so inspiring in this book about memory techniques. I admire this guy…

3 Likes

Books by Dominic O’Brien and Tony Buzan are great and practical introductions and guides to the memory craft…

Another book I think is worth reading is “Your Memory How it works and how to improve it” by Kenneth L. Higbee. He deposits on the various theories of memory, how the techniques work and memory techniques in daily activities.

He also argues for why memory techniques are useful (against arguments that they are not), and he promotes their use. It’s also a very interesting read.

3 Likes

I can’t pick just one.

But a few that deserve more attention are:

Where Did Noah Park The Ark? By Eran Katz

A Sheep Falls Out Of A Tree by Christiane Stenger

De Umbris Idearum by Giordano Bruno

The Shadow of Reason and Judgment by Alexander Dicsone

I could go on and on. Even the bad memory books are worth a look for the integrity of true comparison.

3 Likes

Sorry - “out of the tree” by Stenger. I can’t seem to find the edit functionality on the latest iteration of the forum.

1 Like

A few of my collection includes

1. Curious. …
  2. Thinking, Fast, and Slow.
  3. Think Like a Freak.
  4. The Power of Habit.
  5. Moonwalking With Einstein.
  6. The Future of the Mind.
  7. A Mind for Numbers.
4 Likes

“How to Develop a Super Power Memory” by Harry Lorayne is better (in my humble opinion). It’s an old book – I bought it growing up in the 50s – and doesn’t cover memory palaces or some of the newer techniques. But neither does The Memory Book, as a recall. (I haven’t read it for a long time, but remember that I was disappointed in comparing it to the older book.)

This was my first memory book and I have read many others, but I own several copies of Lorayne’s book and still refer to it often.

One interesting thing about Lorayne is that he was a professional magician and wrote quite a few magic books, so that influenced his writings about memory. I used to do magic as well and did some tremendous tricks using Lorayne’s techniques.

2 Likes

But in no way am I comparing myself to Harry Lorayne! I was a semi-professional and performed only occasionally. Harry Lorayne was one of the great ones.

2 Likes

I think some young memory turk ought to team up with a nuerosurgeon who has access to an MRI machine and the like and then break new ground in memorizing that can then be easily used by the public
This newbie could frame it as homage to Moonwalking With Einsten and make a financial killing

Sadly, new memory books are just rehashing of Harry Lorayne

What exactly is your definition of a financial killing? There is no market for these kinds of books.

Moonwalking with Einstein hardly falls into the category of books about memory techniques. The reason that book was on the NYT bestsellers list for two months might have to do with the fact that the author had a BA from Yale, was a freelance journalist, and both his older brothers worked in related fields.

…because his work was not derivative at all. :wink:

1 Like

I could be misremembering, but I thought I read on this board that Lorayne does not discuss memory palaces in his books? A quick look at the contents shows me he discusses pegs but I don’t see anything about architectural memory palaces.

1 Like

Harry Lorayne talks about it a little here. The transcript looks auto-generated, but it looks like he says that he doesn’t use memory palaces.

If you are interested in a new memory book that is available for purchase, I myself just finished writing a book entitled “From Shrink to Think: A Mental Journey through the Memory Journey”. My name is Daniel Guilfoyle, you can look it up on Google and leave comments if wanted, let me know if you are interested, thanks

1 Like

A mind for numbers is a great book about getting better at math and science.

1 Like

Here’s one that should be more popular, if you ask me. It’s great for anyone and especially good if you want some basics that are also easy to teach children. Friend and fellow Canadian Darren Michalczuk’s “Brain Magic: The Memory Code” is a great read and I highly recommend it. It is also very funny!

1 Like

This reply might sound strange.

1. Deep Work.
  2. Atomic Habits.
  3. Getting Things Done.
  4. The Bullet Journal.
  5. The 7 Habits of H. E. People.

These are very practical books (almost self-help, without offense), that have helped me very much for memory, because they helped me to put order in my life, generate habits, set goals, etc., that allow me to use the tricks that I have learned in memory books and in this forum. I am a very impractical person, so even if many of the things written in these books are obvious and very much is just common sense, still sometimes we need to be reminded about common sense.

3 Likes