What is, and how to use, an "Index Location"?

At various times I’ve seen people mention using one loci/room in a Palace or on a Journey as an index location.

Is there an article somewhere I can get more explanation on this? If not, could someone please explain in a bit of detail.

I have never seen, or at least don’t remember seeing that term in relation to mnemonics. And I’ve gone over basically all the posts I thought were interesting in these forums. But I would assume it might refer to numbered loci, when one creates a journey, filling it up with your objects for example, so you automatically know what number a loci is, and its harder to lose or miss one. When you are just creating a journey, not intending to fill it up right away. Or I might be terribly wrong.

Or maybe it refers to Gavinos massive memory system? Where each loci leads to another palace/journey?

I haven’t seen the term “index location” used, but I may offer what limited info I do know about memory palaces. In one example, a Massive Memory Palace is created by linking each loci to a different Palace. In this way, the loci in the Master Palace could be thought of as “index locations.”

Here’s a link to a topic on this forum about the MMP technique.

This doesn’t mean it is the same method as I am unsure, but perhaps it is.

Seems like we responded within 38 seconds of one another, Raddmiral. We came to the same conclusion. It probably refers to gavinos system, where you organize journeys/palaces and thus loci with “indexed” locations in a central nucleus.

I may have confused the issue by including the word “location”, though I’m sure I did read that term somewhere – may not have been on Mnemotechnics.

Anyway, when I searched again a bit more widely I came up with quite a few references.

I’ll have to go through that lot will see if I can come up with a detailed description of use.

Bateman:creating a journey, not intending to fill it up right away” is definitely something I’ll be requiring

Raddmiral: I participated in Gavino’s MMP post but found it difficult to get my head around that method with my current level of mnemonic experience (very low!). It’s something I have to go back to.

My immediate need is to find a way to memorise 361 short sentences pretty much verbatim, each associated with a specific tag. So far I’m hoping Gary Lanier’s Verbatim Method might be the answer, but there are obstacles I’ve asked Gary for help with.

That project is an absolute necessity that I have to come to grips with soonest, and until I get that out of the way I can’t afford the time to move onto other things that interest me such as languages.

But I’m reading, questioning and trying to understand what I can in the search for a better way.

There seem to be only around 5 pertinent references on the first page of that search, and exponentially less on each later page. Usually refers to a url index or index finger.

It seems to refer to numbering, or orienting yourself within multiple loci. I feel what we have said is likely what it refers to. I like Gary’s method in its simplicity, but it does not seem to use spacial relationships as much. But it apparently works. Good luck on your quest.

Yeah, it seems like an intuitive answer, that the indexed locations would represent other journeys. Nice to find a community of mindful people! :slight_smile:

I think it’s easiest to have the MMP set up with the journeys represented by images, as in any other palace. When you look at that loci, you will see the image and be reminded of the journey associated with it. So you then take that journey for your things to remember (using its loci as reminders), and when the journey is complete, you move to the next peg in your master palace.

Is there a need for you to keep it in long term memory, or can you cram it in cram-memory (something maybe shorter than short-term memory) for use on a test?

When I was in 5th grade my English teacher required the class to memorize Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address in a week or so. The day of the test, each of the 20-30 of us got up in front of the class and recited it verbatim. I’m still quite young, and this is something not seen often in modern public schooling.

The day of the test, I remembered I had forgotten to memorize the speech! Me being more of a perfectionist then than I am now (and that’s saying a lot), risking embarrassment was not going to happen, but I was anxious I wouldn’t be able to remember it in time. Fortunately, I had a printed copy in my backpack, and a half hour recess immediately before the class!

During that recess I developed my own method of memorization based on rote learning. I think it works well for relatively short texts. Mine was around 2k characters, yours may be 10 times that, so it may not be useful.

Basically you just read the first few words and then repeat them out loud without looking at the page. When you have them correct, move to the next few and only repeat those. After the second group of words is correct, move to the third group. After an arbitrary number of word groupings have been memorized, repeat the entire list of groups in order. Then move on to create another grouping, and when your bigger groupings are done, begin connecting those together.

I also used it for a Shakespeare soliloquy in high school, before I knew about amazingly awesome memory technologies. It took me longer that time, maybe a couple hours, but then I had a couple days to do it!

I realize it isn’t an amazing method but it may work for you, provided the material is short enough and the long-term memory isn’t needed.

Yes this is very much long-term memory stuff.

There is a test in March, but I would want to be able to recall exact detail forever.