Using MP to learn thousands of English words, idioms, expressions etc

I am debating on what is best to learn many english words, idioms etc. The problem is to create hundreds of MP for it as you can adding them. I started making a xls of those words, phrase words, idioms etc… my xls looks like
Word - Defintion - Example - Mnemonic - Story

To make it faster I didn’t put those words on a loci in a MP. But the disadvantage that I found by not using MP/loci is to not being able to review easily those words as the list increase vs in a MP you can just walk the path or look at a MP and scan and recall when you stop at evey anchor or loci to remember the word/idioms…which is more powerful but it takes more time to store and document and create more MP as you go… I was thinking, there must be a way to create very fast MP, like a book with chapters or a shelf to add and link those words…but how to make a difference between 2 shelves or rows… any ideas will be appreciated.

Memorising a word can be attached to its natural corresponding location which may save you creating 1000s of locis.

For example if the new word you want to memorise was “Trust”,
then perhaps you can match that with an image of two people “Shaking-Hands

Here you’d need to decide where in a daily life would you most see people shaking hands. I immediately think of an office with two businessmen shaking hands over a contract document. So now I would have a location which is the office that I know well, and I can naturally place this word into the office with the image I have chosen for it. Once it’s in the office, I can then use my imagination to create something funny that will also make the image a lot more vivid and memorable.

If you insist on using memory palaces, here is my latest post to create extra memory palaces that maybe some help.

1 Like

I agree with Erol that putting it in its natural place reduces the need to “make a loci”. It also has the added benefit of making it easier to find, when there’s context added to your loci your brain can jump straight to the image instead of having to scroll through your mindpalace. I would add an extra piece of advice though, I would find the words and phrases naturalistically through reading literature and to add your images to the actual places that are being spoken about in the book. You won’t have to create any loci because that will happen automatically when reading a story, also there’s so much more context and emotion added to the words and phrases when they’re found from a good book. Also, this strategy agrees with the literature on second language acquisition “comprehensible input - Stephen Krashen” so you’ll actually be improving your grammar, fluency and comprehension accidentally while trying to learn these words. And most importantly it’s infinitely more fun so you can work for hours longer.
That’s my advice:)

1 Like

The alphabet system is an interesting idea for MP…i will go and read through your post for it. Creating a mnemonic in his natural location can work, but the problem that I am trying to solve is, do I need to create MPs for 10000 words or more, or instead i started a xls to document every word or expression, idioms etc to increase my vocabulary a lot.
Like: Word or idioms - Definition - Example in context - Mnemonic - Story - MP loci

This works well to store, document my word library very well…but what I realized is that I will some problems to visualize all those words in subwy, bus etc for review time or spaced repetition time… a loci in a MP will allow me to teleport myself to that MP and i can look at evey loci and remember the word…but it takes more time to do that. Is there a way to walk through my xls without putting them in a MP, something fast and quick?

mcnallymemory- I like the idea to create mnemonic for words in context while reading on the fly, but the problem of storing, reviewing and spaced repetition is still a problem in this technique…

Yes you can still use your spreadsheet for it.

let’s use the same example;

Word - Mnemonic - Story -------------------------- —MP loci
Trust - HandShake - Businessman handshake in the/your office

You can perhaps list them in an alphabetical order, and use spaced repetition for each new 100 words on intervals.

The idea is to make it memorable. So once you have created the image for it, then make up a story that is funny, or violent, sad, or whatever the Feelings you want to use, add your 5 senses into it, how does it look like, is it touchable, does it have a smell, can you hear it, is it eatable, etc. Use whatever it would need to make it more vivid and memorable. I usually use something that can make me laugh, in some cases I use violence, both are very strong feelings that usually just pops up the image almost instantly.

Erol - It seems, putting the word in a loci is optional but more powerful than if you don’t. I can not teleport myself to my xls and look at every word the same way I do in a MP loci… it takes more time to do but put it in long term memory right the way.
If i have my xls without MP loci, i will need to quiz myself and hide the other columns, while reading look at the Mnemonic column only or just the word… it may be strong enough to put it in your longterm memory, but for review you will need the xls, not only your mind, which is not very convenient…don’t you think?

Hold my :pizza:
Here I am try to remember about 160 word per page just for synonym, need about 16 page
Make loci is overkill nice and absolutely you can play through it
Lets try to categorize it 80 words for one house for example, and chunking that 80 to 10 chunk, and you get 8 story in one place, make loci is hard, but if you know you play story at lets say at Obama house, you can barely play story with first word of 10 chunk as tittle,
Out of memory palace thing, you can make story very bizzare to make it stick
So here
00 Title
01 spongebob
02 lamborgini
Story title kick spongebob and spongebob hit lambo

10 Title
11 oil
12 gundam

ChUNK it so you’re not overwhelming

What I do is once I reach a few hundred I don’t keep on populating a palace without having Mastered those. Then you can reuse the Palaces with ease of mind without any complications. At least for me, they just naturally fade away and if there are remnants I just step over them but really, by then it’s just so clear what are the new images compared to the fated ones that I never mistake the two.

For anything language related, perhaps going the 10000 Words route is not the best way. That’s really a lot of time and a lot of work not concentrating on the language as it is used, not speaking or writing or listening to the language, which can be done with surprisingly few words to start.

I don’t know what your final objectives are exactly, but I learn words to use them as soon as possible and get them in my memory for good, and please forgive if I’m wrong regarding this here.

You can either put the word into your spaced repetition software as you go manually, or you can use the website LingQ which turns every word you get a definition for into a anki flashcard while reading or you can use the greatest spaced repetition device ever created, a book! Where you will be constantly encountering these words in all their various contexts, again and again, in order of importance, obviously this will mean it’ll take longer to drill in very rare words so those will have to be added manually or be given a lot of time but at least you’re using language acquisition and not learning and you’re viewing the words in more flexible and context dependent ways instead of memorising them in one context and then using them oddly. Obviously the last suggestion is the slowest but it may produce the best long term results? Debatable obviously but I refer back to Stephen Krashen for the reason behind this opinion. “Language learning and language acquisition are different processes and learning can never become acquisition” a frightening idea for us mnemonic lovers. I’d love to see studies on comprehensible input using the mind palace specifically.

1 Like

it doesn’t need to take more time, if you develop the habit to do some in the morning, then you can review those outside without any list. I do that every day and it has gotten better and better and easier and faster with practice. And with time and practice, 10 placed in your memory palace in the morning will become 20/, 20 will become 30, 30 will become … 100 ! and during the day you just review those those you have time to do in the morning. If that’s not enough to review during your day, just do a little at night before you go to bed. Develop that habit and you’ll have plenty to review during your day. P.S having the audio greatly helps also!

1 Like

Cameri, I see your point, No list but put the word in a MP loci as you learn it and review those words the same day by walking your MP. It could work, but I would be afraid to lose some words and do the work again… a xls or at least document your MP loci will guarantee that you won’t lose any word. Keep track of the words one way or the other is time consuming by I think it burns the data better in your longterm memory and you can fill the gap when you review if you forgot some… i guess it’s a matter of preference.

That WILL happen, but that’s the Beauty of memory palaces. When you get home, you can revisit it add an image to what you missed, play with it, modify update your Palace, so it gets better, so you get better; that’s how you find your tricks, how you further practice the skill.

And trust me, faster than you can believe, you won’t miss any one day, and you’ll be happy that you started even though at beginning it seemed so out of Hope😝

A list wouldn’t’t hurt, but you see how not having one during the day could help one focus on training the minds eye with memory palaces, no tools other than a mind :upside_down_face: in the bus :brain::bus: , car, walking around reviewing in the park is soooo worth the work to develop the skill to get there :sailboat:

1 Like

cameri. yeah, the MP loc is the best or most powerful one, but it takes more time to create MPs loci, i guess it’s a trade off, you can go for the shortcut, just the list with def, Context example, Mnemonic, story…and do spaced repetition, if you have problems remembering those words, then add another column for MP loc so that you can visualize them by visiting your MP loci anywhere, anytime… the problem is it’s time consuming to do all that… I guess add a words to your xls when you have time, review the rest of the time… it seems that’s my master plan. Thx a lot for your input!

1 Like

For me and others, the palace has become the fastest, funnest and most efficient way now to get a great head start in learning (almost)anything.

And remember in a palace you can use allllll other memory techniques :birthday::champagne:

This isn’t true for me, but I did think that at my beginning s till I went through a few breakthrough s with palaces.

What now takes most time takes less time in the future with practice, much much much less time. And it can happen much faster than one can imagine with the habit of regular palace playing. Even if it’s 5 minutes, 5 here, 5there. I’ve seen it I’ve lived it, many great examples here and elsewhere. I started making real leaps and bounds when I started to believe.

1 Like

Yeah, reviewing the xls manually or using a software to keep track of your words and test yourself will do the spaced repetition needed. So, you are saying, forget about MP loci, just use the spaced repetition tool with word, definition, mnemonic and that’s it… definitely faster than put the word in a MP loci… now the question is, is it as powerful to remember and recall the data?

No I’m saying that instead of creating MP loci use the loci in the book that your brain automatically made. If it’s Harry Potter and there’s a scene in the forest where a new word comes up imagine them in the forest and the object/action in question happening as explained by the author. Then imagine some object that sounds like the word interacting with the object/action. You can then also add the word to anki ideally with the full sentence (which LingQ does automatically). “You acquire a language when you understand messages” -Stephen Krashen, therefore reading the sentence, without translating in your head, should be a necessary part of the flashcard.

1 Like

Everyone is different, what works for you may not work for me or vice versa. So the answer would be in experimenting with the different methods mentioned here, and see which one is the most powerful that works for you.

2 Likes

Interesting idea…doing that when reading to use the book loci with the new word. I have to think about it to see if it works for me…thx man!

1 Like

One of the reasons this works so well is because of the previously built in “links” to the word, you create a link to your image in your mindpalace that’s +1 memory point. But you also have a link to the feeling when you read it +1 memory point, also a link to the sentence it’s contained in +1 memory point, also the cognitive effort needed when you had to speculate as to what the word meant +1 memory point. This gives the word higher dimensionality rather than being a function where a word is mapped to a translation and is lifeless. That’s just how I see it. No problem and good luck!