To Memorise Dictionary

I am new to this site. i have practised method of locii to some extent. i want to use this method to memorise complex and difficult english words. i need some help please of how to use method of locii to memorise dicitionary-----

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

Have you seen the video of Dr. Yip Swee Chooi memorizing a dictionary?

hey josh thanx but can u please tell me any book or article where some hints are given how to memorise english dicitionary

can somebody please suggest me a book which will help me in memorising english dictionary

That article, plus the discussions in the forum are the only resources I know of. Type “dictionary” into the search box.

Basically, you’ll need to use a large memory palace. The technique is fairly straightforward.

ok thnx i m going through it

Brilliant video. Highly recommended viewing.

I agree! Very impressive. It could be interesting to see how well he performs when questioned in a different way, like “what is the word for - and then some description”. That might be difficult for him, when memorized like that.

Unlike Dr. Yip, I would focus on remembering the stressed syllables of the words as you memorize. His poor pronunciation makes his words almost impossible to understand in many cases, which would be easily remedied by focusing on the stressed syllables when learning.

Memorizing a dictionary may be a cool thing to brag about, but I don’t really think it has nearly as much to do with learning a language as actually speaking and reading. My advice is that if you want to learn a language’s vocabulary, even a whole dictionary’s worth, you should start with a frequency dictionary, from most frequent to least frequent.

Hi Timothy,

May I ask which frequency dictionary do you recommend?

Not to step in before Timothy has a chance to answer, but the best frequency dictionary in the world is the one you build on your own.

Here’s how:

1. Get a recording device and record everything you say over the course of a day. You can also collect everything you write into a text file.

2. Gather the most important and interesting words from your mother tongue.

3. Learn what they are (or can be) in the language you are studying.

4. Memorize them.

5. Use them in writing and speaking and keep an eye/ear out for them when listening and reading.

Another version of this is to pick interesting news articles in your mother tongue and find them in your target language. Create lists of words that interest you and then 3, 4 and 5 them.

1 Like

Hey steveyeoks,

Afraid I’m going to have to disagree slightly with Metivier here: While I agree that real-life dialogue and speech is the best source of frequency vocab, I would argue that if you want to speak like a native, the source of your vocabulary should be what natives say, not what you say in your own native tongue (which will give wrong data since various words have drastically different importance in different languages).

Going by that premise, the best frequency dictionaries are any that are based on compiled data from colloquial speech, not the ones based on compiled data from writings (which are unfortunately more common). The best example I know is the Spanish Wiktionary frequency list, which is compiled from movie subtitles (seriously a perfect method):
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists#Spanish

If you are serious about hacking fluency, then make sure that no matter what language you’re trying to learn, focus exclusively on the most frequent 100-500 words first. Never get distracted by attractive words like “table” and “cooking”. Speak like a native first, and then memorize vocabulary like crazy only after that’s down.

Timothy is right for the beginner, of course. But when you do master those 500 words, the fastest path to “feeling like yourself” in a language is to figure out how you speak in your mother tongue and look for equivalents. There aren’t really going to be “equivalents” as such in many cases, but you can learn a lot about how a language works by learning the kinds of things you already say on a daily basis instead of pounding through phrasebooks and frequency lists hoping that you’re going to come up with something you actually want or need to say.

Also, with all due respect to Timothy, be wary of the “how natives speak” principle. It’s an obvious go-to method, of course - until you realize that there are no natives! Worse, there is no fixed use of the language that you can rely upon people to use.

Instead, there are only individuals, many of whom happen to speak one version of the language you’re studying, often in highly particular ways. They could be from a different side of the city you’re in or even just a different block and still exhibit a completely different slang, general word selection or accent.

I don’t mean to turn this into an argument or a philosophical discussion of language learning, but at the end of the day you’re going to want to use a combination of techniques and keep in mind the words of the wise Al Pacino: “The worse vice is advice.” Try everything that sounds reasonable to you (and even some things that don’t) and develop your own perspective so you can share your experiences too.

All good points. Yes, I am thinking of beginners. Remember that over 50% of the 100 most frequently used nouns in a western language or not things that can be seen (instead they’re abstract nouns like “all” and “work”), and you can’t really speak without knowing these nouns through and through. So use the frequency lists until you’re speaking comfortably, and then choose whatever method you like for memorizing vocab beyond that.

Does Dr. Yip use the PAO system or the major system or both or neither?