Tips on how to increase visualization?

Hi all!

I would like to hear your tips on how to be better at visualization. Sometimes when I close my eyes and don’t think about visualizing I can see pictures extremely vividly, but as I try to hard it becomes foggy again. It seems that I can visualize better with a specific eye focus (when closing my eyes). What I’m trying to do is to be able to vividly visualize my images while having my eyes open, and also without having to move my eyes away from the object I’m memorizing (for example a card or a decimal number).

Do any of you have any tips for improving visualization? I have no problem memorizing hundreds of decimals, but the pictures I see are still very foggy, and compared so the things I’m able to visualize sometimes it’s a big difference.

There are two ways that have helped me: concentration meditation/mindfulness meditation, and creative writing.

Meditation really can help you to visualize by teaching you how to concentrate. When you tell most people to concentrate their forehead will wrinkle, their shoulders raise, their eyes roll up, and they hold their breath slightly. But you can’t force concentration, as you have already noticed. It’s like trying to hold water in your hands: the harder you grasp the less you can hold. The physical aspects alone of meditation help concentration through steady breathing, relaxation, good posture, etc.

Creative writing has helped me to actually visualize things. When I write, I try to imagine the scene as clearly as possible as my mind brings it to me. Doing any sort of creative writing for 30 minutes or so fires up my ability to visualize. I’m sure other creative endeavors do the same for other people.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment moeris, I’ll investigate this deeper.

Try practising alot. When I first started the system of visual mnemonics worked but wasn’t extremely clear picture but now they have grown a lot more vivid. Bonne chance (good luck)

To effectively enter the inner world of pure visualization there are many conditions that need to come together but generally all that is needed is effort, practice and basic skills.

Basic skills such as illuminating all the senses that are involved with the object.

1: Know the objects basic level: A piece of rope, it is thick, brown, rough, stale smelling, it looks old and worn, it has a history.

1. Play with it: What can you do with it in an ordinary way? I see it i create a horizontal line, i turn it into a circle, i make it spin and tie a knot.

2. Now you will be more warmed up and in the zone you can move on to actively use the imagination and go extra-ordinary. It then starts to hover, it turns into a ring of fire (go back to step 1 if needs be) it then becomes a square, then it becomes more 3-d like, it grows into a tree etc etc. It is floating in the air, singing a song, you speak with it, etc.

The trick is to move from ordinary to extra-ordinary in a step process but use 1 object that you become familiar with to get you into the zone, once in that zone everything is easy to visualize and concentration naturally develops. Jumping straight into it tends to feel a bit more out there and forced and usually the gap seems to great.

My ritual is using a circle until i can make all kinds of stuff happen, i find myself disappear and everything is within my mind.

1 Like

I wasnt really able to visualize. The first thing that i did and that helped: when driving in traffic (most often when i was in a traffic jam), i played a game where i imagined the cars having a different color. ex. When there is a blue car, i imagined it being yellow etc… I did this for several weeks.

1 Like

use smashi scope

Great tips everybody!

I would recommend the book: “Mind and Memory training”, by Ernest Wood. It is an old book (published in 1956) with sound advices regarding visualization. It is available in ebook. It was recommended on Brainboard.de and now I know why.

1 Like

read this thread. hope it helps

making more vivid and memorable

Thanks, I love those old memory books. It was only $4 us at Amazon on Kindle. The feats of the Memory Men of India were impressive. It would be fun to set up challenges like those in Chapter 19.

How about changing your life style itself? for the sake of better visualization. I think that most people find it hard to Visualize vivid and compelling images because they are surrounded by rich Images all the time. You could try slowing down/ shutting yourself from those images. Stop watching the TV for instance. Throw away the iPad that you are using in favor of a much more subtle reader(like an e-Ink reader.) Start eating bland food. So that when you occasionally eat something spicy/tasty. You could associate it with a particular memory. These are somethings that I have started trying out and I intend to try even more tactics.

1 Like

I bought Ernest Wood’s Mind and Memory Training if one person wants to try to borrow it on the Kindle reader. I can only lend it once for two weeks.

When you guys visit your loci, do you see what you’ve stored there from the start? I only just started practicing for my first time today (starting with cards) after stockpiling palaces for a little while. I was happy to make it slowly through a half deck with 100% accuracy by the end of the day, but I found that I see each locus then that jogs my memory about who/what I put there, then that jogs my memory about what card that stands for. Is this normal or should I be seeing who/what I put in each locus from the get-go?

Thanks
(sorry if I should’ve made a new thread, it seemed like it went with the subject line)

1 Like

Personally i picture something in a memory palace quite vividly, then when i visit it again i tend to just know what is there most of the time

1 Like

In my experience mental images are quite foggy most of the time. I can see the overall shape and maybe two or three details, but that’s it.

Some time ago I figured out a method to sharpen these pictures that works at least for me. It is a modified version of Win Wengers image streaming. It indeed worked so well that after just a few days my images turned into kind of pseudohallucinations. They were as vivid as real objects, hanging in the air in front of me even with open eyes. For example I saw the head of a cheetah, including the exact pattern of the fur. It was so creepy that I got scared and stopped.

Sure, enhanced visualization sounds cool, and maybe it helps to improve memory. But since then I think that it can also be a curse.

1 Like

Could you explain the technique? Is it based on this? I would like to try it.

Yes, this was my starting point. The inventors website is a bit chaotic in my opinion, fortunately it’s not the only how-to in the net. For example also take a look at this blog article which gives a good introduction. Image streaming is all about verbally describing the mental images that come into your mind. I strongly advice to try the standard version first.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

@Josh Cohen: It has been a while now, and I’m a curious person. Did you give it a try? :slight_smile:

I tried to reproduce the effect in January, but to no avail. It just didn’t work anymore. So I spent the past few months experimenting with modifications in order to find out what was different. (No zooming in and out because it destroys the sense for proportions … no, makes no difference. Waiting for the pictures to appear out of the visual noise that you see when you close your eyes … no, didn’t work too. And so on.) Today it finally happened again, yet the state is very volatile. Seems that there are several prerequisites that I have to figure out one by one :expressionless: