"Those Who Are More Creative Can Think Of Ideas With Greater 'Distances' Between Them"

It seems like memory techniques might help with this.

Summary: A simple exercise of naming unrelated words and measuring the semantic distance between the words could serve as an objective measure of personal creativity, a new study reports.

Other discussions about creativity:

5 Likes

This supports a theory I have. Words is the best discipline for creativity, and this is why I recommend newcomers train words more than others.

Cards/Numbers- You are turning them into preset images that you have coded.
Images- I mean the images are already there.
Names- Requires skill to find a distinguishable feature but like cards/numbers you likely have preset images for the names.

Words- This requires true creativity on the spot, to create something vivid out of two words(in my case anyway, you may use more loci).

But even people brand new to memory, I recommend they attempt 10-15 in a minute. 1 per loci. This forces them to turn words into ideas which will help them visualize any concepts they need to learn in the future.

3 Likes

Three words with greatest distance.

Piece of cake.

McGill, Melbourne and Sao Paolo.

Sorry, Harvard…
;D

2 Likes

What I found when looking at the words which were ‘high creativity’ is that, I feel you can get that kind of creativity by thinking alphabetical-verbally rather than spatially.

Alright, so the ‘low creativity’ example showed a whole bunch of words which I could very easily spatially imagine around my body. I just saw the words and imagined all these parts of my body all linked and connected together spatially.

For the ‘high creativity’ words, I noticed you can get this kind of result by thinking of words that begin with various letters, and you’ll get a salad of fascinating and ‘out-of-order’ entities quite easily. Like, alright, P. Puddle. T, Tower, Q, Queen, Z, Zebra, F, Floor, G, Gorilla, K, Kindness (is it supposed to be tangible things?). You get the point – you can get totally unexpectedly ‘creative’ by just accessing letters.

1 Like

Might sound a bit weird but I have always thought of this idea like tentacles. I imagine that everyone is an octopus and some people have longer tentacles then others so they can grasp at things that are farther away and when someone is trying to understand an idea it’s like there trying to wrap there tentacles around that idea (honestly ever since I have started using memory palaces on a daily basis i come up with these stupid analogy more often. It’s kind of annoying)

Anyway as far as this post goes I definitely agree. If someone gave you a a 40 word paragraph about a topic you have never seen before you would have to be able to condense that paragraph down into something more manageable in order to get a good understanding of that topic (unless your working memory can store 40 words which is unlikely) and constantly using memory palaces will help you get better at that idea translation process and give you a larger library of associations and past images to work with.

Also from what I understand this association process is done unconsciously (meaning that it doesn’t require conscious thought) so when your trying to come up with images or associations you might find it helpful to close your eyes and stop thinking entirely. There have been a good number of experiments on this idea which you may find interesting: Don’t wait to incubate: Immediate versus delayed incubation in divergent thinking | SpringerLink

2 Likes