The wickedly effective method that helps me memorize twice as fast as the PAO...It even works with your existing systems

Hey everyone :grinning:, .

I want to share this new memory system I created that will either boost your already existing PAO/Major system, or serve as a completely new system you can use to memorize cards, numbers, and/or binary digits faster than many other existing systems. The best part is that it’s easy-to-implement not time-consuming to set up.

I wrote up a quick google doc file you can read online and/or download that explains all the details about what it is and how to use it

Here’s the link:

And I sincerely appreciate you taking your valuable time to look at this. I’ll do my best to explain all the details as clear as possible. If you have any thoughts, comments, concerns, criticisms…I’d love to hear them.

Your feedback is valuable and will help me improve! Thank you!!

3 Likes

While you can put more information in one image, the usual experiences show that this does not translate into speed.

I believe that there has been a discussion about it on here, but I cant search that well on my phone, so I might go hunting for it later if I dont forget and if no one else happens to know the one I am talking about.

Systems like PAO are great for larger chunks, but the downside is that 301701 or so is not one image, it is a composite of three images. This process of first picking the right aspect of each image and combining actually removes speed. At first it might seem that you are improving, while in reality you are practicing. Once you get into sub-minute times, the struggle with such composites becomes clearer.

Now, as I said, it is great for chunks. If speed doesnt matter, you can now put more information on one locus/peg. That is always a good thing.

The flip side is something I am not sure about, but I do think there is one. Mainly because more of these systems have been around. Most of them doing something with clothing. I usually read a post explaining it, and afterwards there is nothing. It is not new, but I dont often hear about any follow-up. So I do hope you keep us posted as I am honestly curious to your progress with your system.

4 Likes

I used a Person Action Adjective Object system (e.g. George Bush spinning a burning chair) when I first competed. It worked fine, but I don’t think there’s any real speed advantage, just a slight saving of locations.

5 Likes

Thanks for replying Mayarra and looking at what I posted. Perhaps you’re right about speed. I have a quick question about that, and I’m not trying to be combative by the way. I’m just curious. Are PAO systems for competitive memorizing no longer being used? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I recall a few former champions using PAO systems for numbers and cards. Anyways, I see your point about how the combining process can remove speed. It can take some time to get the image in your head especially if it’s a newer system your not used to that has multiple elements.

However, I’ve personally found a way to bypass this issue you mention a bit for myself. For example, when I want to memorize very fast using a pao system, sometimes feeling the image rather than seeing it in great detail is enough for me. As long as I have good location and my memory palace is solid, I can do it very fast to where it’s just an impression of an image popping in my brain. Admittedly, this isn’t great if you want to remember anything long-term past 24 hours, but it does the job if you are needing to do some quick recall.

The main idea with this system is to have something almost as powerful as the millennial PAO system without needing to memorize thousands of images. With the millennial PAO system you can memorize 9 digits per loci, but with this, it’s 8 which is pretty close. So far it’s working well for me. It’s not quite second nature yet, but I’m working on it.

Thanks again for your feedback and reply!

1 Like

For a while, I think some people were wondering if PAO was becoming replaced by 2-card systems among the top competitors, but Shijir holds the world record in speed card memorization with a PAO system. It seems like people are able to reach top speed with any kind of system.

Here’s a video: Speed Cards World Record 12.74 seconds - Shijir-Erdene Bat-Enkh

Not able to access the google doc @Weaverm
Ok, got the file downloaded, there was some issue with my connection.

Here’s another link to it you can try. I checked to see if the link I posted earlier was broken or not, and it appears it’s working. But I went ahead and copy-pasted another share link for you here:

If that doesn’t work, I may copy and paste what I said from the document directly into the forums. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like