Tackling 13 book novel series in a short time period

Sorry if this question has been answered in the past, but I’m looking for techniques to read a fiction novel series (Wheel of Time) without loss of comprehension in a short period of time.
I know about keeping away from distractions, use ear muffs, sit up straight, eat, and exercise (I will try to implement the obvious to the best of my ability)
I’m looking for techniques that include memory palace, and other effective mnemonic devices.
I already implement pomodoro.
Has anyone has success in “storing” info into a device as Lynne Kelly suggests, or creating an image for each page as Mattieu ribbing suggests (I think just for comprehension?). Any specifics on loci such as storing each book in a house, and dividing each chapter into loci? Would you recommend a larger space such as a public park, school, ect instead?
This is a big task for myself because I don’t normally read fiction novels, so any help would be great. Thanks!

1 Like

I use Mattieu Ribbing’s technique a lot while reading fiction or non-fiction books! I also use this type of technique for taking notes from video lectures or presentation,too. It works very well for me. The technique is very fast and hassle free. But I apply Mattieu Ribbing’s technique for short term stuffs only.

If I have to memorize the main ideas/plots/points of a book and store the info for a long time,I use ‘pegs’ like “Alphabet/word pegs”. Using Alphabet/word pegs, I can store important info from a book on the fly. I don’t need to use Memory Palace for this,and the info I gathered/stored in the pegs stay there as long as I want…

1 Like

Can you give me a link about Mattieu Ribbing’s technique? I am struggling with making my own techniques.

Thanks for the tip on the peg list, could you give me an example? i know generally how this would work but specifically would it be something like: aa: protagonist arrives at home village, ab: he encounters old friends ac:there’s news of an incident ad:this is what they have to do to find out more.
or would it be something specific like a one or two word point such as aa Father, ab Dragon, ac Princess. and how many chunks would you suggest i divide this into? 1 peg per chapter, or about 5 per chapter. id say each book is roughly 50 chapters, and again that’s 13 books i’m working with.
any specifics would be helpful. thanks again

Hi @westbury08 ,

I am very sorry for my late reply. Life is kinda busy,and the COVIT-19 is creating a lot of trouble!! :smiley:

I would not suggest you to try my recommendation of using “word peg”,if you are not already familiar with it,or have used it,or have your own ‘word pegs’ ready to be used…

I have my own “Alphabet Memory Pegs” that I use for memorizing ‘notes,texts,movies,books,lectures,ToDo list,Syntex,life events and everything else’.

I have outlined my the method in the link below. You have to use “PO” technique to memorize the main ideas in order.

Say,for example,A is AntMan in the SuperHero column of the excel below. Your first chapter should start with the image of the person(superhero) “Antman”. Now,your chapter could have three different ideas,scenes that you want to memorize. So,Antman should do three different things with three different objects. You can create the objects from the ‘scenes,paragraphs’ you are reading. Or,use the Objects in the “PO” of the excel file below.

So,

Antman is the first chapter. And Antman doing something with ‘an object’ is your ‘topics,ideas,passages’ of that chapter. Antman is your hook for the chapter and the three objects/items that you get Antman to do something with are three ‘ideas,theories,topics’ of that chapter!

Let’s say,your first chapter has a killing scene or idea. You want to remember or encode the killing scene. So,your “AntMan”(Chapter) is killing an “Allegator”. Allegator is your killing scene. That is all.

The advantage of this type of technique of Mattieu Ribbing is: you are not gonna lose your encoded memory,if one link is broken. Because you are putting/encoding your memory in order of Alphabet with “PAO”(or just “PO”) technique,you will not lose the order or the link of pegs will not be broken getting you lost and frustrated!

Here is the link to my single Alphabet Pegs. You can create hundreds of different combinations of pegs with this technique. AA, AC,BE, BK,CC…Each combination can be used as a peg to store memory.

I have been using this technique for over a year now. And I am very satisfied with the technique. I don’t need to use “Memory Palace” anymore!!

Here is the link to the list of “Single Alphabet PAO System” of mine : Alphabet PAO System

1 Like

Hi @alaranem,

Please,visit this link where Mattieu Ribbing describers his technique in details. I like him a lot. His technique and logic are sound and effective. I personally found the technique effective. The only I faced with his technique is,if you lose one ‘peg,link’ in the middle of the chain of memory pegs,you lose the rest of the memory!

To solve this problem, I use ordered list like my “Alphabet PO” list above! Take twenty objects or persons from my list and encode the memory in order with them! This way,even if you lose one ‘link,peg,memory’,you will still get the next one as you organized the memory in alphabetic order…

1 Like

wonderful! i’ll see if i can implement my card deck pao system. i always start with hearts, then diamond, spade, followed by clubs. that should give me enough pegs to memorize.
for instance, ace of hearts is a close friend of mine should i attach her to the “3 actions” you mentioned above? 1. walking with the dad (first concept) followed by 2. shes seeing a dark shadow of a creature and 3. is with the girl the main character has a crush on? my PAO is that Tabitha (my friend) is Strumming a Bass guitar. to make this non identified and more memorable, it seems it would work better for me to use the Bass Guitar in all 3 scenes. any thoughts? appreciate the feedback

You can use anything as ‘peg/hook’! We just need to always keep the following two fundamental rules of mnemonics:

Rule 1. We will always have to use ‘items/objects/loci/pegs’ that we are already very familiar with or know by heart.
Rule 2. We will always have to make a connection between something already known(i,e,from rule number 1) and the new thing to memorize.

For Rule 1,you can use anything that you are familiar with. It could be ‘your favorite cards,your relatives,your friends,the objects in your room or your favorite movie characters,or locations in a Mind Palace,etc’. Whatever you are familiar with or know very well can be used as a ‘peg’,like “Mattieu Ribbing” suggested in his video.

For Rule 2,you just have to be a little bit creative! :smiley: How your objects or characters will interact depends on your own choices,likes or dislikes! But you must create ‘connection between what you already know and the things you are trying to memorize or store in your memory’.

Funnily,if you know “Major System”(number) and you have some ‘favorite movie characters,or persons in your life’…and you can organize their name in an ‘alphabetic order’ from A to Z,you could create around 2600 ‘pegs/loci’ within hours without even ‘trying’!! And the most important thing is,this is a very structured system,unlike Memory Palace!

Let’s say,your favorite movie character’s name is “Arnold schwarzenegger” and it starts with “A”. And your Majory System has “00=SeeSaw”, “01= SuiT”, “02=Snow”, and so on,you can create pegs like:

A00= Arnold doing something with SeeSaw+your new memory
A01=Arnold doing something with suit+your new memory
A02= Arnold doing something with Snow+your new memory
And so on…

You can then use person/character “B” with Major System. Say,your favorite character for “B” is “Barak Obama”:

B00= Barak doing something with SeeSaw+your new memory
B01=Barak doing something with suit+your new memory
B02= Barak doing something with Snow+your new memory
And so on…

So,using the “PA”(person and object) technique with Alphabet character and Major system,you can generate 2600 pegs/hooks to be used to memorize new things!

I use this type of technique,because:

1. It is structured. I can store data in order.
  2. I like “PO” or “PAO”(person,action,object) technique. Because if we use characters/persons,we can created animated ‘pegs’. I can remember well if my pegs are animated(doing something,anything).
  3. I can extend the system as much as I want!!
2 Likes