Speed Reading + Memory Technique

Hi everyone,

I’ve seen a lot of people wondering if speed reading actually exists or not : i.e. Is it possible to both speed-read stuff and remain at a decent level of comprehension ?

I used to practise speed reading and my conclusion has been that it definitely exists - but it didn’t only make me read quicker, but it also raised my comprehension, since I usually read way too slowly to pay attention, which makes me unable to remember much of what I read. The fact that it goes so quickly elevates my attention to a much better level, which has for consequence to make me recall better.

Now, I noticed that nobody tried to couple memory techniques with speed-reading techniques. Wouldn’t it be interesting for all of us to develop a system which would couple those two things ? It could function as a “strategy” that focuses on a few specific things of our reading that we would remember (using association techniques, for example) - and this specific information, when ordered, could function as a “journey” through the document.

I’ve seen people questionning the idea of people having an “eidetic memory”. What about if “eidetic memory” is not just some sort of “natural” (done unconsciously) coupling of memory techniques and speed-reading techniques ?

• What information of any given document (book, article, etc) should we recall in priority ?
  • What techniques should we use to recall the different types of information ?
  • Should we try to recall quantitative data by using a specific technique ?
  • Should we use space repetition in order to recall the whole content of what we’ve read ? And how to do so in the case of books which are hundreds of pages ?

Mod

Are you thinking about memorizing just the general points of the book? I wonder if preparing some memory palaces would be good for that – maybe take notes while reading and then put the notes into the memory palaces?

If you haven’t seen it yet, there are links to some related posts in the how to memorize a book page.

LociInTheSky wrote an interesting post about memorizing movies while watching them, which might give some ideas for techniques:

Hi Mod, hope you still read this forum.

Of course there are several Speed Reading + Memory Techniques.

But eidetic memory, not. I believe that’s only an urban myth.

Unless someone comes along and does something more impressive than Kim Peek or Mallow or Ben or Simon or Jonas or O’brien or Bell or Wang Feng did, then “eidetic memory” will now remain just fiction for the time being.

How can one debunk eidetic memory? Because basically, in the last 20 years of WMC competitions annually , no one has proved to have eidetic memory.

Hi!

It’s an interessting idea. When you said that we can create a journey through the document, do you mean creating a loci filled with the document’s contents, or to put mnemonic images in the structure of the book?
The second option was quite usuall in European Middle Age, when books were designed to be memorised. It’s not the case anymore: now each page looks similar to the others. So the aspect of the text doesn’t help to remember the content.

You can see the difference between that (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/MilanBTCod470BookOfHours2FoliosAnnuncShepherdsDecortatedInit2.jpg/290px-MilanBTCod470BookOfHours2FoliosAnnuncShepherdsDecortatedInit2.jpg) and that (http://www.uoh.fr/front/document/b78ba2be/a61d/4265/b78ba2be-a61d-4265-833e-52bdc42f869a/Cours_XML_UOH/res/Texte%20argumentatif.jpg). (don’t mind about the content of the text, I’ve taken the first image I’ve seen)
The second is just a text designed to be read. No peculiar feature to help people to memorize information. It’s why I think you’re idea could be difficult to practice. But we can try :wink:

New unified rules for Speed Reading for the Memoriad contest.
and a new video synopsis with the new standards/ rules of Speed Reading ( video posted 8th-July-2016) :

Hopefully, these new rules will make it easier to compare between competitive speed-readers. And will probably also help any researchers (neuroscientists/psychologists etc.) who may want to conduct some benchmark studies for their future papers on competitive speed readers.

Nodas