"Reverse-LR-Mirror-Method" A New Discovery With Only 55 images For All 100 Digits From 00-99

It’s been a while since I wanted to talk about this. I’ve checked the forum and did not exactly come across something like this.

I’m not sure if this had been thought of before. if so, then this may just be an addition to it. If not , then here I’ll explain below how I discovered it.

I am not using this method, however, I thought I would share my thoughts and perhaps it may be useful for some people. Perhaps we can all contribute with more ideas and see where it would take us.

in its simplicity, “Reverse-LR-Mirror-Method” is reversing the digits and therefore reversing its image, and using the Mirror reflection for the Twin-Double-Digits. So that we have less digits & images but can still cover all the digits from 00-99 when memorising.

Reverse” is for “Switching The Order Of The Digits”.
LR” is for “Left” Or “Right”.
Mirror” refers to the same reflection of the object in the mirror.

If we are using a 2 digit system, then we’d need 100 images to cover the digits from 00-99.

With this method, we would need 45 images and 10 images for the double digits. A total of 55 images.

What I have noticed is that if we reverse the digits, we can then reverse the image either facing to the right, or facing to the left.

So let’s say the digits were 19, then the reverse of it would be 91.
The method is to use the Image for 19 facing to the Right, and also use the same image for 91 facing to the Left.

19 for me is an Elephant in number shapes.

elephant-right

Notice that the image is facing to The Right.

Now if we reverse the Elephant to the Left, this would then give us 91.

elephant-left

We have used a single image to cover 19 & 91 by reversing the image either to the left, or to the right.

So by reversing the digits, and therefore reversing the images, we would only need 45 images in total as follows. Here is how it ended that somewhat looks like a Pyramid of 45 images.

02 12

03 13 23

04 14 24 34

05 15 25 35 45

06 16 26 36 46 56

07 17 27 37 47 57 67

08 18 28 38 48 58 68 78

09 19 29 39 49 59 69 79 89

Notice that it starts with 01. This image would also cover 10.
So we don’t need to memorise two different images.

02 is also used for 20. So again it is a single image.
and so on for the rest of the images.

Let’s now notice some more interesting facts here.
Each two digit also suggests how many images there are in total in each line of the pyramid.

01 suggests that there is a single image because it ends with 1.
The next line which starts with 02 shows us that there are two images because the digits ends with a 2.
Let’s look at the next line which starts with 03, well there are only three 2digit numbers that all ends with a 3.

If a two digit number ends with a 7, well there are a total of 7 images that always ends with a digit 7.

This may be some help for recalling the digits, as we would know how many images we need to go through in our minds to recall the digits rather than all 100 digits.

Notice also the Double Digits are Missing.
00 11 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99

This would mean that we would need to have 10 more images for Double Digits as they cannot be reversed. I’ve just added them to the bottom of the pyramid.

02 12

03 13 23

04 14 24 34

05 15 25 35 45

06 16 26 36 46 56

07 17 27 37 47 57 67

08 18 28 38 48 58 68 78

09 19 29 39 49 59 69 79 89

00 11 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99

Here is another variation which would add an extra image to each line on the Pyramid by using the Double Digits.

01 11

02 12 22

03 13 23 33

04 14 24 34 44

05 15 25 35 45 55

06 16 26 36 46 56 66

07 17 27 37 47 57 67 77

08 18 28 38 48 58 68 78 88

09 19 29 39 49 59 69 79 89 99

Again there are a total of 55 images.

One last thing I want to cover is The Mirror.
Sometimes we may get a Twin-Double-Digits such as 19 19.
You would then do your usual action, linking the 2 images together.

However, this is where the Mirror comes in handy!
Because the first and second double digits are the same, we can simply place An Image Of A Mirror in front of the first image. This also saves some confusion with reverse digits, and would be much faster to imagine it and to create the link.

here is an example;

twin-digits

When using a real mirror, it would actually show you the reverse of the reflection of what’s in front of it. However, because the reverse is already used with all 45 images, we simply just have to know that it’s used for Twin-Double-Digits.

By using only 55 images in total, we can cover all the digits from 00-99 simply by seeing the reversed image facing to the left or to the right. This would also mean that we would only have 55 actions in total.

This method can be used with any Number-To-Image Generator System such as the Dominic system, Major system, the Shaper system or any other independent system.

I personally don’t use this method, but wanted to share my thoughts so others may find this useful or brainstorm some ideas to make a good use for it.

What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

Thanks, a real eye opener for me.

1 Like

On reflection (boom! boom!), seems like an interesting idea. Thank you for posting this.

I know that you did stress the direction of the original image:
But…
One thought springs to mind though, which just might cause some issues: Stanislas Dehaene (from Gugull - Stanislas Dehaene (he is also one of my Memory Palace Permanent Characters :slight_smile: is a French author and cognitive neuroscientist whose research centres on a number of topics, including numerical cognition, the neural basis of reading and the neural correlates of consciousness.)

A guy who I have a lot of time for - I read a lot of his stuff when I was looking into memory systems for reading music notation - exactly the same part of the brain as reading ‘letters’. He raises the issue of MIRROR writing, and mirror cognition of images, what I took from that was:

All children and adults when learning a new script (say cyrilic or music notation or Chinese Characters) they do not learn the DIRECTION of the characters, that only comes through habit and practice. Essentially if a child is told to write DOG and writes in minuscule “bog” then there is nothing wrong with the kid, they do not have dyslexia or anything adn he goes onto show things like coins adn famous pictures backwards and - now here is the thing that MIGHT cause a problem - with ALL NEW IMAGES we (as a species) do not encode the orientation of the image.

e.g. If I showed you a pic of my local castle (which I could see from my parents’s home)

And then a week later showed you this

You would recognise it as the same place.

But you would not be able to tell me what one was the correctly orientated version.
I would however, as I know the place. Well

Stanislas does lots of examples (I think there is a You Tube video of him doing this)

That’s a quarter? or not?
Well not, because the writing will seem strange…
What about this:

Not so easy is it? Well not for me!
or this:

This is reversed (mirrored).

So what I do not know is in a memory palace if you will remember the direction of the original image or get (understandably as we are humans) mixed up… -

just a thought…

Very interesting though!

One other thing I might add: Left and right might be a problem but what about inverted? Years ago I read a novel which had a scene where a British Spy is picked up from, an airport, by a so-called Embassy car: To his horror he realised that the people who had picked him up were ‘baddies’. How did he know? Because the Union Jack (Union Flag) on the front of the limousine had been put on upside down:

Which is WEIRD looking to me but probably not to non-UK people:

The real one is this:

2 Likes

That’s a very interesting concept. I agree that this is original to my knowledge.

However, I disagree that the form you are giving it would be very useful because the direction is often used to link images together and therefore I think it would be confusing to the mind to see this kind of direction used within the image itself as opposed to having this set up in between images.

Having said this, I think there is a way that could make this work. Say you use DoG 17 for that number, then switch the numbers around and just find what ever is the alternative or opposite for this image, such as a cat. So, if the number is 71, you still call it a dog with your inner voice, but you visualize the opposite, the cat. I think this would form a great and usable system. I have more comments to make about this idea of yours and will get back to you on it later.

3 Likes

Good point anyway. But I am not sure if this strategy is possible to work out.Cuz I use the major system (2-digits) for two years. The main point I figured and majority competitors agreed is how to make my 2 images in the loci to be more connected. The the way of how image represent may not necessary. ;(

1 Like

That is a Fantastic View!

Thank you for your thoughts on this and you have some good points with some interesting images :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. It would cause some confusion. But I think it can be improved. I personally don’t use this as my system.

It was just a discovery while I was using my shape system with some of the images being on the left or the right, and I had no issues with it and no confusion at all. I just thought there must be a good use for this for us memorisers and hope we can find some.

For example I use 01 as a Shield & Spear in my number shapes.
So the Spear would be facing to the right. And If I get a 10, the spear is simply on the left.
In fact I am so used to doing this, it’s almost on autopilot for me. I do have some images I use as a reverse, but not with all the images I use.

So if I get 01 00, it would be The Egg has a Spear thru the egg facing to the right.

If it was 10 00, the Spear would be facing to the left inside the egg.

Let’s say this was used as a Person Object, and the digits were 15 01.
Here you’d see Albert-Einstein holding the Spear on his Left hand, and the action could be the Spear is thru his head.

And it was 1510, you’d simply see Einstein holding the Spear on his Right hand.

That’s also very interesting indeed! I am looking forward to see more of your thought & ideas.

As I said I do use this with some of my images but not all. And it’s not a method I use with 55 images.
However, I do think using only 55 images and coming up with new and more ideas like the ones you mentioned, I think it has a good potential to be a useful method that may be good for some people, or may help an existing system.

3 Likes

Shaper system super.I recommend using.

1 Like

Well, @Erol I have seen that rotating an object like as we rotate a knob(which is used to adjust the speed of fans) based of how easy to remember the information encoded in it and then constantly increasing and decreasing the size of the objects based on how high rotated an object is in an imaginary scale (from 1 to 5,just like in an knob) and the reason I believe this works is that the brain has to constantly retrieve the information encoded in the objects and so because of this the brain thinks that the information is relevant and the cells of the brain which cause the brain calls which makes us to forget information does not remove that information and 10% of the cells in our brain are those brain cells.
And along with this I have found that using the traditional memory palace and then converting the objects used in that method into the objects of the reverse memory palace can help us to recall huge amounts of information quickly.
And,I have also that assigning a 3d light(ex-the visible rays of the sun) to a sentence instead of simply a line of colour(or a coloured line) can help people to remember sentences better and that light(ex-The light of the Hiss) can also be animated to help people remember more information.
And if anyone places this light over an object then that person in the recalling phrase can recall information more quickly as our brain compresses information and then possibly recalls that information by decompressing it and as by assigning a coloured line to each sentence which I read,I can know what will come in the next sentence and using a 3 dimensional light and then placing a peg at the bottom of it,I can in the retrieval phrase know which sentence is coming next(If I have memorised the sentences and I am recalling them) and after that if I use information extracted from the peg at the bottom of that light(ex-The Light of the Hiss) I can overwrite what is being decompressed and replace it with what I already know is next(or should I say is coming next) and I think replacing parts of the compressed information which is being decompressed with already decompressed information(As you already know what is coming next is faster and more efficient and the human brain has been made more and more efficient over millions of years of evolution and I have also read that some cells in our brain which are 10% of all the cells in our brain make us forget information to keep our memory efficient and I believe that using any of my modular methods can help to make the existing methods more efficient,
And last but not the least objects in the method of loci can be associated with an landmarks room(Room which contains landmarks and is mixed with a room in the method of Loci to create an hybrid room) and even a line can be added in a hybrid room(of chalk mark or of a tape) between the part of the hybrid room which contains landmarks and the part of the room which contains objects in order to seperate them and the part of room which contains landmarks should also contain objects with all the information which we know(While it is not necessary to encode all the information which we already know into objects) and we can transfer objects from the landmark room to the part of the room which contains objects and this can aid in our memory sometimes.

1 Like

Edit*:Adding*-Can increase our memory.

Erol,
From a mnemonic’s perspective, the closest other number to any number is it’s reverse form as you can always remember it without question or error (or even thinking). You just remember to get behind it and get it that way. Therefore it make sense that these two numbers should be grouped together in imagery.
Some group of numbers are particularly interesting: 08 and 80 versus 88. I think the images for these numbers should be selected logically: since the reverse of 88 is still 88, then you should select an image for it that looks the same regardless of whether you see it from the back or front. So, an hourly glass, for instance, would make a better 88 than simply a 8. For an 8 or 08 and 80, you may want to use a guitar as the guitar does not look the same from the front and back. So, 08 would be guitar and 80 maybe a raquet as it is quite opposite to it while still keeping some basic similarities. So, as I suggested earlier, if you see 08 and want to memorize it, you use the key word guitar and if you visualize a raquet while saying the word, you know it is 80 that you are attempting to memorize.
I think that having such a logical system would make it easier and more engaging for people to build a system and it would be memorized more quickly as it would be both more interesting and feel more natural. The spliting of the word into two images, is a form of billingualism and for anyone having a hard time learning a second language, practicing such a system may be a good, easy way to start off.
There you go, that’s pretty much all the thoughts your new idea sparked in me.
Cheers and thank you.

1 Like

I just thought of this: flipping things upside down - inverting them - would be better.

An elephant and an elephant on its back are easier to recall as different images than left or right facing elephants.

Invert (put upside down) the object, invert (reverse order) the number.

I think we may be better “programmed” for up versus down than left versus right, because of the needs of gravity, so that should be a stronger method.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I think both would work, but I think it would depend on the individual. I personally have an issue visualising the object upside down, I guess I can see the easy ones, but can’t seem to visualize my elephant upside down. There is a forum member who does use upside down as the reverse, seems to work for some.
Good idea.

1 Like

As MMScotofGlasgow said (though I have different favourite neuroscientists in that regard Dehaene seems correct) left right images for numbers won’t work. Brain works by expanding ideas. If ideas are entirely different, they wont overlap, as they expand. If they are similar, they will overlap eventually, as you practise these similar ideas. You might then stick to your associations, but it will be veryyyyy forced. If you need to distinguish between left, right elephant, on the other hand, consider, left = lion or any other word beginning with L, right = for me stone turning medusa, then combine it with elephant doing sth.

2 Likes