Research suggests a person’s microbiome influences body’s response to exercise

This doesn’t contain many details, but it looks interesting:

Gut bacteria partly determine whether exercise improves the health of men with pre-diabetes.

Link: Gym sessions feeling futile? It might be your microbiome

Related:

2 Likes

Also, good prebiotics (fibre, so eating much more and varied vegetables will do it!) to feed the gut bacteria and keep it happy. Makes a great difference.

1 Like

This seems to be a single sex subject study based on what was summarized. Studies with only male subjects are no help to me as a woman. This is a major problem with some autism research studies as well, like a recent one on fetal development of boys later diagnosed with autism. For conditions as different as autism and heart disease, women can have vastly different symptoms than men. Only studying men does not help doctors diagnose and treat women with these conditions. If you ask me, the only valid reason to run studies with single sex subjects is when the condition in question exclusively appears in one sex, such as ovarian cancer in women.

1 Like

It certainly looked sexist to me. So I burrowed around, using search terms from the @Josh link in the OP:

I think the original paper is here:

This article is way too long for me to do my “key points” stuff. But I can say that it includes several studies. Based on my quick read of the first part, it looks as if each study can relate to either males or females - but not both.

Anyone interested needs to search for: men, male, women, female.

If you try to search for a short word such as “men”, you’ll get a million hits in such a long article. So the trick is to include an initial space in " men".

That fails if “men” is at the start of a line, so you need to partially reduce the width of the page to force HTML text realignment.

Statistically, I don’t know how many realignments you need to give >99.9% probability of capturing >99.9% of all the men. I think there are sufficient mathematicians or engineers in this forum to tell you.

Thanks.