Plant species diversity and gut microbes

(Josh Cohen) #1

American Gut: an Open Platform for Citizen Science Microbiome Research

I haven’t read this PDF in a while, but it might be interesting to some people here. If anyone has a background in biology, I’d be interested to hear your opinions on it. :slight_smile:

Dietary plant diversity. The self-reported dietary data suggested, unexpectedly, that the number of unique plant species that a subject consumes is associated with microbial diversity, rather than self-reported categories such as “vegan” or “omnivore”. Principal-component analysis (PCA) of FFQ responses revealed clusters associated with diet types such as “vegan.” However, these dietary clusters did not significantly relate to microbiome configurations. We therefore characterized the impact of dietary plant diversity, as measured using food frequency questionnaires and mass spectrometry, on the microbial community.

Plant consumption was also associated with a reduction in certain antibiotic resistance genes. Individuals who consume more than 30 types of plants per week compared to those who consume 10 or fewer plants per week had significantly reduced abundance of antibiotic resistance genes for aminoglycosides, chloramphenicol, and major facilitator superfamily (MFS) transporters (antibiotic efflux pumps).

PDF: American Gut: an Open Platform for Citizen Science Microbiome Research

Other interesting links:

1 Like

Interesting Stuff, I eat 7 different veggies daily. Not sure how to consume more than 30 or if it would be worth it.

(Josh Cohen) #3

I do it with a meal prep system. I cook a variety of vegetables every few days (mostly steamed) and put them in containers like this.

I also make bean soup and some kind of whole grain.

When I’m ready to make a meal, I combine the pre-cooked vegetables in various ways. The meal goes in a large glass bowl with a cover so I can cover it back up if I don’t finish it all at once.

You can also count things like garlic, seeds, nuts, and fruit in addition to vegetables. I listed example plant species from a day’s eating in a post on time-restricted feeding.

1 Like