Objects without names attached-eliminating subvocalization

mnemonic-images

Whenever you use an object whose name you are familiar with as an image in say a PAO or major system, you will almost certainly subvocalize the name of the object, as that’s what we are naturally wired to do.But if the images being used don’t have names we are familiar with, no subvocalization will take place, and we should be able to just see the object, speeding memorization up.

(Josh Cohen) #2

That’s an interesting idea. I wonder if it depends on how visual of a thinker one is.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you might be interested in the Shaper System – it links the shapes of numbers directly to images instead of to words:

There’s also the association system for numbers which doesn’t use words.

(Dietmar P.) #3

Indeed an interesting theory, thanks. On the other hand subvocalization possibly activates more brain areas during memorization. This could also be an advantage as it supports the recall process. (The more areas are involved, the better. As far as I know that’s why images should also include sounds, smells and feelings, at least occasionally.) What do you think?

I’m not sure really.I think there’s been times doing 5 minute numbers where I’ve remembered a number not because I can actually see the image, but because I have the auditory memory of me having subvocalized it, if that makes sense? Though at the same time, that could just be because my pictures aren’t vivid enough, and probably wouldn’t be a significant advantage in the long term.

I’ve had the idea of associating certain distinctive Pokemon that I don’t know the names of(basically anything beyond gen 3) with 0-99, since they tend to be quite colourful and vivid.

(Nicholas Mihaila) #5

I suspect that what you’re describing would really only be viable for small systems. Eliminating subvocalization with a 52-image card system should be feasible, for instance. And it could give an edge over some of the more complicated competing systems, as I expect is often the case. I was considering exactly this a few days ago actually.

It’s not only a theory, I read about something similar in school once, then I analysed my own memorizing speed and realized the times I were slow were often because I recalled the name of something, but then needed it’s image to put in my Loci.

I then trained to link the image of the number (ex “70”) directly to the image of my pao (Queen Elizabeth).
Before I did that, I would often :
1 - read the number
2 - think of the word Seventy
3 - find the linked person in my system, “Queen Elizabeth”
4 - get his/her image in my head
5 - create my combined image needed for memorization

Turns out, every mental processes takes time. That’s simply how the brain works.
At some point, people intuitively starts skipping memorization steps as they try to get faster, but there’s nothing stopping you from finding out exactly what steps you’re doing and working to make them more efficient :slight_smile:

It’s aso good to note that if you’re very comfortable with your technique, and that reliability is more important to you than speed, then there’s nothing wrong with keepign your processes as they are.

And as a final note to @Finwing,
I played with that idea a bit and, personally, the memorization is just as good with just the image vs with more senses.
The problem is rather with the error rate;
I would remember the image just as clearly and as long,
but I would sometime make an error with the selected Peg.

For instance, I would sometime take the peg of #50 when I really wanted to memorize #60… The error is often caused by my habit of linking #60 to the name of it’s assigned person and not direcctly to it’s image. And since I practiced it a lot, the link to the words is strong, but the link to the image is weaker.

But working to strenghten the association to the image directly is achievable with some work :slight_smile:

(Paul Camacho) #9

There was a woman in eden before eve named lilith… Her and adam roamed eden fascinated by everything they saw and experienced… To lillith the world was wonderous full of mystery amd magic it seemed… But god gave adam the task of naming everything… Lilith thought it was terrible to name everything… Because then it was no longer mysterious… You knew exacrly what it was… It was what it was named… Needless to say… God didnt appreciate her resisitence to his creation and he replaced her with eve… A more docile and submissive women…

Problem with this… You arent thinking in a way that expands memory very well… Most animal life use this method… Because they are uncapable of written language… Words give us a filing system for everything… If it wqsnt for written language… We would have never become self aware at our current level… Written language is what human level consciouness is… When you think you say the words… Try thinking with out talking in your head… You can have emotiinal responses to visual perception ans imagination… But you would be able to track and remember what you been thinking or were thinking very welll… Because you had no systematic way of remembering what you though without the labels… The fact is the more words you know… The larger your ability to think is and the greater your consciouness becomes… You thoughts are spoken as you thi k them in your mind… Your inner voice… What you can think is limited to the words you have available to use… So learn as many labels as you can… The more lables you have… The more comolex your ability to think becomes… The words we know is who we are… You cant be something beyond the words you know to think with… Learn as many words as you can… It expands your mind… Literally…

This is why we habe no memories before we learned to speak… There was no way to label and organixe what we were experiencing… Just vague recollections… We become trueky conscious when we acquired language…

@PaulCamacho You’re missing the point.
It’s not about memorizing words and expanding vocabulary, it’s about speeding up memorization.
Those two things are completely separate.

When memorizing something quickly, skipping the naming just removes one mental step.
But memorizing itself is not the endgame, that would be Memorizing + Recall.
The Recall is when you usually search back for the Naming, unless you’re just reviewing a memory to make sure it’s still intact, in which case, you can skip the naming that time again.

So :

• Memorize the image alone, its essence.
  • Review the image alone periodically to make sure the image is still there.
  • Recall the image -> find the word for that image, the same way you would find the word for a picture you see on a screen -> use that word in a practical application in the real world

As for expanding your vocabulary, that would be memorizing one specific element ( a new word ), and that can be done with the process I just listed.

• find new word
  • memorize image linking pronounciation to meaning of the word
  • review it periodically to make sur it doesn’t fade
  • stumble on an occasion to use the word -> Recall the image -> decode it’s pronounciation -> use the word

(And the “stumble on an occasion” could wither be in a discussion with someone,
or in self reflection, never leaving your mind.)