It’s okay to have different opinions, but let’s keep the tone here calm and respectful. ![]()
Most of your points have been discussed in other threads.
Edit:
The media tend to sensationalize things. I wouldn’t take their headlines too seriously — they are writing for clicks.
Memorizing verbatim-text is different from memorizing lists.
You might want to read about experiences people have had with applying memory techniques:
- Applying Memory Palace to Learning (Update)
- DR. YIP SWEE CHOOI memorized a dictionary with ~1300 pages in half a year. Are there any tutorials on how he did that?
- Many(and I mean it) useful tips you need to learn massive vocabulary with Mnemonics
- Physics Equations - 180+ - Video Inside
There are many more examples if you search through the forum.
Edit 2:
There is nothing wrong with being geeky and awkward. Those are my kind of people. ![]()
There are people here who have memorized tens of thousands of digits of pi, not just 100. It might not be your thing, but it’s still interesting and impressive. I’d rather watch a memory competition than people running around a field with a ball. ![]()