Memory Palace Basics (Detailed)

Heyhey, feeling capped atm.

It’s been a few days since I’ve started a Memory Palace; I can recall a 30 item grocery list, two suits from a deck of cards, and a few equations/formulas. It’s a ton of fun! BUT

I’ve been reusing my Memory Palaces (Two houses and a walk down a familiar street). How do I go about using Memory Palace for learning macroeconomics? Would I just read the textbook while simultaneously visualizing images? Does the info need to be stored in a Memory Palace to truly be learned/remembered?

I have not attempted it, so I thought I would wait for people better qualified to answer, but seeing as none have, here are a couple posts about it. I recommend you think of more memory palaces to start with.

https://artofmemory.com/category/tags/memorizing-books

https://artofmemory.com/wiki/How_to_Memorize_a_Book

Learning macroeconomics. Understand the principles. One cannot understand Keynes with just a memory palace.

I would not do that. While reading the textbook, make a list of all the principles and how they are derived.
Then learn those.

Not per se. It helps though to serialize items, making review a breeze.
Here is what this means. Line up the items you want to memorize, put them into the palace, and go through the palace a couple of times, going from item (for example a macroeconomic principle) to item until you can dream them.
It is a bit more work, but if you are done and after you 've reviewed all items you know them all!

Merci! I have some research/experimenting to dive into now

Hi, Parklot,

What level of macro are you studying? I agree 100% with Kinma. (I’m an econ grad student)

Two suggestions:
1: Visualize the math!
2: Use mnemonics for non-math things that you may need to regurgitate.

1. Ultimately, math is something we need to be able to understand and apply, not associate with an ocean of baby chicks flooding out of a kitchen sink like xkcd red spiders. :wink: Thankfully, though, mathematics has structures within it that act as mnemonics themselves! Often, in the long term, the best way to remember the which sign to apply to each term coming out of an integral is to visualize the integrated function as a curve, etc.

Or for elasticities, let me present the following exercise: visualize the image of a constant-elasticity demand curve, a linear demand curve, and a concave (concave-down) demand curve, and color up the graph to vibrantly remind you why the concave one is more price-elastic demand at high prices, and is more price-inelastic at low prices, both because of the

Basically, this advice sums up to the following: Ask your grad student teaching-assistants to explain mathy stuff to you using graphs and drawings.

1. On the other hand, a lot of our graduate-level exams (which I am thankfully done with) required the preparation of different kinds of mathy proofs. So using the method of loci to efficiently list the steps of how to prove some of the more fundamental results I needed could have helped me save time studying proofs. In retrospect, I realize that I would often condense a proof onto one page, so that then the organization of my writing on the study sheet itself would effectively act as a memory palace!

For topics covered in a more survey fashion, one important thing was memorizing the correspondence between different sets of assumptions on the one hand, and the resulting model results after characterizing the model on the other. That could be accomplished with our meat-and-potatoes method of loci, etc.

Cheers,
-Steven