Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly

Hi, some versión in spanish?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi skariso,

I have had a lot of comments about the value these methods might have for dyslexic students. I have only worked with a few, but the difference was astounding. Mostly for their self-confidence because they were able to learn the same as others - a really new experience. But also because when introduced to the key words first, when they finally did read material, they had a good idea what to expect which seemed to make reading much easier. It is an area I want to look at more. I was supposed to start teacher in-service workshops in a few months, but they have been postponed due to the virus. But they will happen, and the value for dyslexic students will be part of it.

Please don’t apologise for rambling - you didn’t!

I really appreciate your comments and look forward to updates.

Lynne

4 Likes

Hi Leba,

No Spanish yet. Foreign language versions have to go via publishers - a Spanish publisher would need to approach my Australian publisher. It is being translated into Russian but I suspect that’s not much use to you.

Sorry!

Lynne

2 Likes

Hi Lynne, I read your book last month and loved it. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for saying so, deep travel. I really appreciate it.

Lynne,

Memory Craft was my introduction to memory training. So so so so glad I found it. Thank you for an amazing book. I’ve been recommending it to anyone who will listen!

4 Likes

I am feeling absolutely chuffed by the comments on this thread. Thank you, QiJitsu. I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm.

Lynne

2 Likes

Chuffed.

You just learned me a new word. I feel right chuffed about that, and you should too.

Thanks, Lynne.

My pleasure! :slight_smile:

I’m very impressed with your work and am touched by the impact they have towards waking up our current culture of “modernity” in regards to the relevance of indigenous cultures of our past.

I’m trying to learn the difference between two of your books. They’re similarly titled: Memory Craft: Improve Your Memory Using the Most Powerful Methods from Around the World: 9781760633059: Amazon.com: Books

and

Is there content different, are they different editions?

Thanks again for doing this work.

Sorrry @LynneKelly I just read thru the rest of the thread and found that the blue book is the North American version and I ordered it. I’m super excited to read it! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, Noxipicous. They are exactly the same book. I do hope that you enjoy it.

If you want to take the Indigenous aspect further and hear the ideas from an Indigenous voice and my non-Indigenous voice together, you might like my new book, Songlines: the power and Promise, co-written with Aboriginal author, Margo Neale.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Songlines-Margo-Neale/9781760761189?ref=grid-view&qid=1617492886862&sr=1-4

3 Likes

“Memory Craft” was the reason I got myself (and my daughter) interested in the subject of memory training just now; I found it fascinating and mindblowing to find out that all of these techniques have existed for as long as humanity has existed, and that they were used to basically memorize an entire culture. It’s like finding an app in your brain that you didn’t know was there and that you’d never used.

When I was a kid, the grownups in my life had always harangued me about my bad memory and how I could never remember the books I read. Turns out I just didn’t know the right techniques to do it - and none of those haranguing grownups ever taught me any of them. As an experiment, I decided to try to use a simple “visual alphabet” peg method to memorize the main points in “Memory Craft”. I can remember every single point and I can easily summarize the book. This is literally life-changing for me. My brief experiments with memory journeys have been similarly mind-blowing. I literally can’t believe how well this stuff works.

I’m now tempted to repeat every single one of Lynne’s experiments, including the History Walk, which I intend to do as soon as I find a good World History reference to use for the information to be encoded. I’m also absolutely fascinated by the Winter Count, and have started making one for my life.

Lynne, since you are here on this thread - thank you so much for this wonderful book.

8 Likes

Hi meepster,

Thank you so much for such a lovely post. I am absolutely chuffed by what you say. It still amazes me how well these methods work - although as they match the neuroscience of memory, I shouldn’t be so surprised.

The big question is: why aren’t they taught in schools?

Please let me know how you go with the various projects. I am getting such wonderful feedback from people like you - it makes me so happy!

Lynne

7 Likes

@LynneKelly
Did you mention how to use lukasa in a topic?
If yes, please send the link.

I wanna try atleast one time to memorize things with lukasa board like you did.

Any tips to create lukasa, I like to read your tips ?
And what problems you faced by using lukasa board ?

I would think it’s simply the usual reasons…

1 Like

The big question is: why aren’t they taught in schools?

I’m homeschooling my 5 year old, so at least she will learn these techniques “in school”. One of my incentives in learning this stuff myself is so that I can teach her. (I loved the Rapscallions)

It really is appalling that here’s this method, known for millennia, that makes information stick like glue in your brain, that no one uses in formal education. I’ve had 21 years of schooling and never learned this stuff. Luckily, I have a good rote memory for words and numbers, so I got by on that, but I do wonder how much more I would have in my brain if I’d known about memory journeys.

2 Likes

Are you just talking about various loci methods now? We did solfege training in primary school as well as the circle of fifths and I’d argue that both of those are mnemonic devices.

1 Like

Loci, yes (not a single teacher has ever even mentioned it to me), but also the trick of creating vivid associations to get the concepts fixed in your mind. Maybe some people figure it out on their own, but I never did. I’m pretty good at rote memorizing and I just used that throughout my schooling. It would have been a lot less work (and a lot more fun) to use loci and weird associations.

1 Like

Hey Lynne,

That question about not being taught in school is what i keep hearing on this forum and other places where mnenomics are popular. It’s a good question. So why is it not being taught. First of, does that question mean why is it not being taught as a subject of its own? that’s kind of the same question as why are we not being taught how to learn? That’s also a question people may ask. Which may have some good answers. I like Seth Godin his explanation of how we got the current educational system which has al to o with the industrial age, where they needed more workers. So we needed people who are obedient. not people who are creative and thinking much on there own. SO there is your explaination i guess?

Another interesting point that Anthony Metivier makes sometimes on his youtube channel about memorizing lists. Many times in books we use arbitrary lists instead of meaningful information that adds value. I think there he comes close to what Seth Godin probably will agree with. It needs to add value.

We know from experience that these mnemonics can add value to your life. and that’s what we need to show and only then we might introduce people to this.

Because telling people our crazy imagination doesn’t connect with them yet. They haven’t experienced or SEEN that yet :slight_smile: .

And maybe we need to turn around the question, maybe we shouldnt be thinking why arent they teaching it at school.

Maybe the answer is: Why am I not teaching this at school? and take back the responsibility. We are the teachers of this generation. And your helping a hand with this book i suppose.

I really don’t know where all this came from, but it just sparked something in me :slight_smile:

BTW. i haven’t read your book yet, but im very curious to read it!

2 Likes