I am on a path of learning things by using memory palaces. I am just wondering. With time, the image rebus puzzle does get deprioritized and my mind naturally does not bother with decoding the images and jumps straight to the information. So, I thought. Should I repeat the way the information relates to the images (the rebuses) even if I know the information? In the other hand…I do already know the information that I want because I am using spaced repetition with my memory palaces just for that reason. Then again, what if I take something for granted and then the rebus who would have helped me recieve the original information is lost? …I might be overthinking, I might just not be used to store things I value like this.
Btw, I have made a memory palace for the different types of maintaining a memory palace…regular intuitive walk…fast subtle touching of the images…slow vivid stolling trough the museum-visualisation…
Moreover, I would really like to discuss anything related to the last step on the way to making something a long term memory. One thought that I really believe is when I look back, years back, the memories that sticks usually do have an image or GIF if you will.
…I really want peoples opinion on this…neither of my friends…or any human in my surrounding seem like they can touch this. Bless you and bless this forum!
This made me a bit nervous at first, but remembering both (relation and information) might be fun. I already am remembering both because otherwise it feels like the images would become ghosts to me?! I’ll have to investigate. More interesting, do you keep information in memory palaces, and how do you do regarding this?
A small question on this, do you merely touch the images, or are you a part of the small story you make up for them? Ive been experimenting with interacting with my informatino in memory palaces more, like to hear other peoples experience.
I do both. But when I take my time I interact with the pictures and places like it was a new play eg. touching the seat of a chair or greeting a character.
I’m still dancing around the issue regarding if memory as in the memory palace gets transfered into the long term memory as with spaced repetition. Pictures make connections greater but it seems alot harder to track all the abstract paths of MP when you can do flashcards with simple pictures regarding the facts.
I’m thinking I practice spaced repetition. And after a month then maybe I will add it to a memory palace…
It’s great that you’re using memory palaces and spaced repetition techniques to improve your memory! The use of images or rebuses can be an effective way to associate information with a specific location in your memory palace.
Regarding your question, it depends on what works best for you and your personal learning style. Some people find that regularly reviewing the connection between the information and the images helps to reinforce the association and prevent the information from becoming lost over time. Others may find that after a certain amount of time, the information becomes firmly encoded in their memory and the images are no longer necessary for recall.
Ultimately, the goal of memory techniques is to make the information you want to remember part of your long-term memory. To achieve this, it’s important to actively engage with the information, whether that means reviewing the connections between the images and the information or simply recalling the information from memory on a regular basis. If you’re not sure which approach is best for you, you may want to try both and see which one works better for you.
It’s also a good idea to have a variety of memory techniques in your toolkit, as different techniques may work better for different types of information or at different stages of the learning process. Experimenting with different techniques and finding what works best for you is a key part of the learning process.
For me, the pictures seems to get redundant when you know the info, its like eating mango AND the skin in which all the juice is left out.
Again, perhaps you adore the images that you create…well make a memory palace for art exhibition then!
My thinking is that, as you say, you can entertain the images buy improvising new connections each time. In other words, you use the images as bulletpoints in which you create a whole presentation from scratch to ingrain different perspectives and, you know, neurologic connections.
Ad Herennium seems to have understood this, writing, “… such an arrangement of images succeeds only if we use our notation to stimulate the natural memory, so that we first go over a given verse two or three times for ourselves and then represent the words by means of images. In this way art will complement nature. For neither alone will be strong enough…”
Are the Objects of Memory lost forever once the words have taken root in our brains? Are the molds broken and discarded? I don’t know. I can remember less than 5% of the Memory Objects I used to memorize lectures, but I feel they are still there, like ghosts, somewhere in my mind. I got this from a text I have read about verbatim memory techniques, it is a very good book and from the practices I have done with this book I can affirm its veracity.
I am trying memorize all my chess mnemonic journeys with scripts separate from a chessboard. I am hoping to have 2 streams of info the moves I learn and the story so in the distant future when it appears on the board I can play the moves quickly and confidently if the move makes both chess sense and the corresponding mnemonic image seems right.
It is a bit much but one use case for retaining the images is increased confidence especially if the info you learned is very similar to other info you learned.
What you are saying is that you are facilitating both active and passive memory? eg. Active:Definition to word or Passive: Word to definition in vocabulary
I am saying I am making extra effort to remember the journey images as in the future I plan to use the images to double check accuracy even after I have assimilated the decoded chess moves into long-term memory and wouldn’t need the images in theory.
The main reason is chess positions are very similar to each other so a common error is playing a correct idea in a slightly wrong position so its not quite enough to just assimilate the information into long-term memory then forget the images. The images will facilitate recalling the exact specific move order perfectly.
Memory palace is so time consuming I decided to do a mix of MP and Chessable which is the equivalent of Anki.
Chessable will get all the strong ideas into my head but I will be a lot more prone to move order mistakes in similar positions compared to memory palace.
The most serious and classical forever weapons I am doing with memory palace and any gaps with chessable. This is looking like about a 50-50 mix for full coverage of all options.
GMs have a huge amount memorized. The main way most GMs memorize openings is via memorizing specific master games they will often be able to cite the exact player who played a certain line. They also play training games in agreed opening positions with training partners and analyze them after.
Even top GMs are prone to memory mistakes and make them often in practice. Only a couple GMs use memory palace. I think a fair number load their repertoire in chessable to drill privately. There also are many paid chessable courses that are created by top 10 in the world players and reliable.
Its also worth noting that the main skill difference between IMs and GMs is endgames so even beginning at IM level there is a large amount of opening memorization. Now even a 2000 who likes to do Chessable daily has world class openings.
What has worked for me to store sentences on a wall, is to divide a wall in 8 or more, like a chess board, and place in each focus point a memory object that can cover from a sentence to a single word, I will not extend beyond the technique for explanation of many factors.