I think you could use characters, actions, objects, or just characters and action, to memorize those movements you want to memorize, I think it would be very easy that way, plus you should know the board, even without observing it physically you can know their patterns, is an idea.
The role of attack and defense semantics in skilled players’ memory for chess positions
There is much evidence that chess skill is based on chunks in memory that represent parts of positions from previously encountered games. However, the content of these chunks is a matter for debate.
According to one view, (1) the closer two pieces are to each other on a board (proximity), the more likely they are to be in the same chunk, and (2) skilled players encode the precise locations of pieces.
An alternative view is that what information is encoded in a chess chunk is determined more by processing of the attack/defense relations during evaluation. In three experiments, participants evaluated positions and completed recognition tests. Experiment 1 supported the view that expert players make more use of attack/defense relations than of locations of pieces in a recognition test. Experiments 2 and 3 demonstrated that, for both long and short presentation times, expert players’recognition for a piece within a position was primed more by a piece related by attack or defense than by a piece merely proximal. These findings challenge theories of expertise for chess that assume a primary role for proximity and location in determining which pieces are grouped together in memory.
Idea:
1/know the board that even if you don’t physically see it you can mentally move around it.
2/to memorize the movements you can code the pieces in characters and actions, creating distinctions in the characters so that there is no confusion.
3/for the palace, you can divide a wall in 8 and place your memory objects there, for each wall you would have 8 memorized movements, in each room you could place 48 objects with their associated movements through actions.
To recap. I still believe anki is a great way to practice for unstructured info, as @zweb_chess said. Otherwise I still see the utility to put the info into a palace. Or even better, I wonder, perhaps putting questions or front cards in one loci and have the answers on another loci so you could use SRS in the MP with the benefits of comparing notes and SRS-lists in your head. What do you think? Anyone did this?
For instance ‘What are 3 principles of surgery for Subacrombial bleeding?’ in one or a couple of loci. Followed by different answers that can provide examples and whatnot.
Now, I find the best is to incorporate small associations between the words/concepts and their meanings and do Anki on that.
One nice thing with the Anki side instead of MP is I am way more relaxed about the information I structure to memorize. 1 more flashcard? sure just add it.
I don’t need to agonize over the value of each piece of information because the overhead of creating a mnemonic journey for it is so high. Each extra flashcard on the MP side is a lot of additional time in my system.
I think it’s about how the mind works. It naturally doesn’t recall things in order. It takes the material floating around in it’s void in random order. That’s why people struggle to remember things in order so that’s why they prefer Anki over mp when studying.