Learning word for word

Can using ‘short hand’ and decoding it help in learning word to word?

1 Like

What’s that?

About learning word for word, I think you mean verbatim memorization. This is easy to achieve but tedious. You can use the method of loci and convert into an image each word. You can always help yourself with simple images but with enough to be memorable.

Give me an example of what you would like to memorize verbatim. To help with the images.

By image, I mean mnemonic image, which is not always a single object or visual. An image can be a whole movie like scene with event in order. This can happen in one spot. My method consists of doing a good use of association, imagination and location principles of memory. It can be used to quickly memorize information, not verbatim as well, and this way you can memorize pretty quickly a lot of distinct definitions, different non related ideas. Of course, if you slowdown and create more specificity, your problem would be solved.

My method:

Note: this is not the traditional way, neither the easiest for one without proper understanding of its own imagination and memorability.

1. Create your memory palace, journey or whatever you call it.
  2. Create a triggering image for the concept and place it within a locus of your mental place.
  3. With the triggering image (the concept’s name, title) start connecting more images (the information), that could defy all logic and physics. Meaning, that you don’t have to worry about the rest of the place. You only need the association between triggering image with consecutive images (where the verbatim or not happens).
  4. Review the your images as fast as possible, then a little bit faster. Recall the information to be memorized.

Techniques in use: method of loci with linking system. Aiding techniques: memory peg lists (Major, Dominic, PAO), Alphabet System.

Again, if you can tell me an example of what you want to memorize.

4 Likes

Verbatim Memory

Some memory tasks may require word-for-word memorizing (for example, learning scriptures, poems, scripts, etc.). Mnemonic systems are not especially appropriate for such verbatim memory tasks. When people ask me how to memorize these kinds of materials verbatim, I refer them to the memorizing strategies discussed in [chapter 6]. We will see in subsequent chapters that mnemonic systems can help in remembering the main points or ideas covered in such materials and in getting these points in the right order, thus providing a framework within which the exact words can then be learned. But the systems do not help much directly in the word-for-word memory part of the task." From Your Memory : How it works and how to improve it by Kenneth L.Higbee

أعتقد أن أفضل طريقة لحفظ النصوص كلمة كلمة هي التكرار. استعمال وسائل التذكر في هذا الغرض لن يعطيك نتائح مرضية. لن تستطيع تشفير كل فعل واسم وحرف ، خاصةالمترادفات التي يصعب التمييز بينها باساتعمال الصور. أتكلم من منطلق تحربة طويلة.

I think the best way to memorize texts word by word is repetition. Using memory methods for this purpose will not give you satisfactory results. You will not be able to encode every verb, noun and letter, especially synonyms that are difficult to distinguish between them using images.

Shorthand would definitely help. It is like creating a system for words. I know there are all kinds of shorthands and it is on a personal basis. Create your own or find some and just modify it.

1 Like

Not true. I memorized my lines from a play using the method of loci and displaying images around my house. Even before that, we were tasked by the director to memorized a long poem that was going to be the presentation of the play. I did it, but it wasn’t use. It may take more time as for how much you know yourself in regards of your memorization and how easy it’s the test.

You can make the test yourself. Take two articles from Wikipedia, one with easy words for you and one with more difficult ones. Here’s what you need to do: Method of Loci and short stories as images to be placed within your loci. The most effective way of long term memorization is the Method of Loci so, use it. Now, instead of taking single words one by one, group them in “chunks of meaning”, or “chunks of image”. You can stop reading from here.

Chunks of meaning: phrases that make sense, parts of phrases that can be picture by its content. “The dog barked and shaked with inmense fear”: for me this would be a single image, but if not for your, “The dog barked” image A, “and shaked” image B, “with inmense fear” image C. Image A: a dog barking. Image B: either the same dog shaking, or an object shaking. Image C: a hand grabs and pushes a ghost. I guess image C wouldn’t ring much with you, but for me, it’s already mingled as I write this. Association is a matter of will power, after you “get it”, the “feeling”. Still I haven’t found a description of this phenomenon.

Chunks of image: when meaning cannot be found by the text, create a mnemonic out of the connotation found within the text, very useful if you don’t understand the text or you’re not familiar with language it’s written on. Examples: “The brief account of Josephus referring to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is at best a highly interpolated account, and at worst an absolute forgery.” Chunks: the brief account image A, of Josephus referring image B, to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ image C, is at best a highly image D, interpolated account image E, and at worst image F, an absolute forgery image G. Some images can be visualized as first method: image B, C. The rest needs you to work them out. Image A: picture an anthropomorphic brief with a latop. Image D: a trophy with a number 1 figurines smaller in the bottom. Image E: picture a pole and an anthropomorphic latop dancing. Image F: imagine a baby being sickened by an devil like creature. Image G: imagine the ying yang symbol and an dwarf forging burning metals. How would you memorize? By association whatever are your images with your text. There aren’t any rules that limit association with images and with locations. Abuse the power evolution have given us.

Don’t ignore the original purpose and the actual meaning of the art of memory. Speeches, ideas, what they considered knowlegde. They didn’t waste their time in what we do in competition.

It is possible, it is advisable and it is highly effective to memorize information verbatim or not for the purpose of acquiring knowlegde. Here, a least of mnemonist, I will only include those who I think didn’t waste time on long lists of random numbers:

The core of the art of memory can be found in the works of these people and exported from this forum in a more excellent and direct way:

The author of the Ad Herenium (at least in his example, refers to text memorization)
Marcus Tullius Cicero (De Oratore)
Francis Bacon (The Pheonix)
Thomas de Aquinas
Matteo Ricci (The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci)
Metrodorus de Scepsis (stories about him, seek Pliny the Elder)
Giordano Bruno (his famous books of images, this guy was interesting)

https://artofmemory.com/wiki/How_to_Build_a_Memory_Palace THE CORE of the art is here
https://artofmemory.com/ebook
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Main_Page

The problem is that some of us are utterly lazy and some don’t train their focus. Some people in cults, clubs, esoteric occultist groups, people dedicated, and obviously some polymaths or polymath wannabe may train their concentration either by proxy or with priority and some would use the art of memory to both acquire knowlegde and retain it, and also for the purpose of greater mental prowess.

Obviously, there are really very few worth of memorization information that would require verbatim. To achieve mental greatness or know a lot about a lot… you don’t need verbatim. Why would you? Now, fixed text, mostly poems, songs, and religious texts, require exactitude. Many patterns and repetitions would be find, and images reused. As I expressed in my previous reply, it’s very possible.

If you’re wondering what to learn with these techniques, consider: skills for jobs, skills for survival, strategies of thinking, problem solving, business, seduction, negotiation… most important for me: science (best arrange of human knowlegde), history and myths, arguments in philosophy.

Many people have spoken plenty about how to use techniques, although many of their advises and methods my not be the best. We ought to improve, not mindlessly imitate. Your method get it to the maximum. A good method is that, that not only helps you in keeping knowledge for long as in years, but also that easy your way to hold your thoughts. It may be more tedious to memorize text verbatim, while your understanding of what you just read, could be quickly turn into memorable images, you can go back later to the same text or another and relate and enhance your images and you get a more charged image of something that you “understand”. The goal of memorization should be holding data as information, properly understand it as knowlegde and further strenghten with more information as understaning, giving you then something you can call a thought, rather than a whack expression of words as many seem to only be capable of speaking.

It’s very difficult to find people who know what they’re talking about: politics, philosophy, science. A lot people don’t speak about these topics because, they claim, some get offended. The reality is: some don’t know how to express themselves and some cannot understand the misexpression of the interlocutor.

Don’t expect to memorize words as you do memorize numbers if you don’t do the same methodology (peg system) and training as with numbers and other competitive challenges. In my yesterday’s answer I memorized 9 paragraphs ideas in less than 15 minutes. There were more pages that I just read and used my focus to adhere to my short term memory. Then I took an exam: multiple choice, pairing and true and false, 10 minutes. Score: 15/15.

1 Like

thank you @InMyMemoryWorld

First, the meaning that you have defined for :“the art of memory” is not taken for granted. I think you are looking at the topic from a narrow angle, and different cultures and ideologies can have a big impact on that. you confused two topics: the importance of memorizing word by word and the effectiveness of memorizing word by word using the means of remembering. Nevertheless, I think both topics are important and worthy of discussion. In order to save you and readers time, I say that I agree with you in many of what you have said and understand you, but I think that you rushed to create a problem and then put forward solutions to it.

• Understanding is very important: right
  • There is no point in memorizing a text without understanding its meaning: complete
  • Most people are lazy: ok

You acknowledge that there are texts that require precision in memorization, so what is the reason for all the objections that you raised on this topic ?!

You give me examples of things you have accomplished to prove your point. So let me tell you that I memorize (word by word) the entire Holy Qur’an, hundreds of hadiths by the Prophet Muhammad - may God bless him and grant him peace - and thousands of poetic verses in the Arabic language, and I practice various methods of memorizing (peg, pao, loci…), so I know very well what I am talking about. I’m not bragging here, but I see that you have taken this discussion in the wrong direction.

finally excuse my bad english, you can always blame google translator.

Regarding the importance of memorizing for us Muslims, let me put you in the picture. We Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the last word which God spoke to people, and we believe that it contains solutions to all human problems. You could say: The Qur’an is a book full of secrets and codes, and that the mission of humans is to decode and discover secrets. Do you see the value of memorizing for me now?!

دعني أشرح لك طريقتي وطريقة كثير من المسلمين لحفظ القرآن ونصوص أخرى. لعلمك، ملايين من أولاد وبنات المسلمين يحفظون القرآن عن ظهر قلب، وبعضهم يحفظ رقم كلّ آية، ويستطيع أن يسرد الآيات بشكل معكوس : 9، 8، 7، 6،5 … وهكذا، علما أنّ في القرآن أكثر من 70000 كلمة. يبدو الحفظ غيبا في الثقافات الغربية أمرا غريبا، ولكنّه عند المسلمين أمر مهمّ جدّا بل ضروريّ، لأنّ الصلاة لا تصحّ إلاّ بقراءة سور من القرآن.

لننتقل إلى وصف الطريقة : يمكن أن أحفظ آية آية أو صفحة صفحة. هذا متوقف على عوامل عديدة. في تجربتي، بما أنّ ذاكرتي سمعيّة، كنت أسمع القرآن بصوت حميل قبل أن أحفظه. في بعض الأحيان كنت أحفظ مقاطع كاملة من مجرّد السماع، خاصّة إذا كان صوت القارئ جميلا، كما تحفظ الأغنية بسرعة إذا سمعتها كثيرا وكنت تحبّها. بعد ذلك أبدأ عملية الحفظ الفعلية، أقرأ الآية أو مجموعة آيات أو صفحة كاملة مرارا، حتّى أتمكن من قراءتها دون النظر إلى الكتاب. بعد ذلك أكرّر ما حفظته 50 مرّة من ذاكرتي. في الغد أحفظ جزءا جديدا وأكرره 50 مرّة، وأكرر الجزء الذي قبله 25 مرة والذي قبله 10 مرّات والذي قبله 5 مرّات والذي قبله مرّة واحدة. يعني بعد 5 أيّام أكون قرأت الجزء من ذاكرتي 91 مرّة. توزيع الحفظ بهذه الطريقة يعطي العقل وقت كافيا حتّى تختمر فيه المعلومات. حفظت القرآن الكريم كلّه بهذه الطريقة، ويمكن أن أقرأه من ذاكرتي دقة تتجاوز 95%، أكثر الأخطاء تكون في المواضع التي فيها تشابه، نحن نسميها “متشابهات”، ونستعمل طرق مختلفة لضبطها، كالمذكرات اللفظيّة والربط.

هذه الطريقة استعملتها أيضا في حفظ أحاديث النبي محمد صلى الله عليه وسلّم. لكن بعد سنين من التحارب وحدت أنّ الحديث الذي أكرره 200 مرة لا أكاد أنساه. هناك أحاديث حفظتها منذ 10 سنين أو أكثر، وهي إلى الآن رسخة بقوة في ذاكرتي، رغم أنّي لا أراجعها كثيرا. بالطبع أحفظ الحديث بنفس الطريقة : اليوم 100 مرّة، اليوم الذي بعده 50، اليوم الذي بعده 25، ، اليوم الذي بعده 10، ، اليوم الذي بعده 5، اليوم الذي بعده مرّة واحدة. هناك علماء عندنا يحفظون مئات الآلاف من الأحاديث، ويحفظون كتب كثيرة في علوم مختلفة عن ظهر قلب.

أخيرا، أعتقد أنّ الدافع هنا مهم جدا، فنحن نحفظ بهذا الشكل لأننا نعتقد أنّ هذا العمل سبب لسعادتنا في الدنيا والآخرة. لذلك أقرأ في هذا المنتدى وأماكن أخرى عن طرق للحفظ غيبا باستعمال المذكّرات البصريّة، فأتعجب كثيرا، لأنّي أعرف أنّ هذه الطريقة غير عمليّة. أكثر من يتكلم في هذا الموضوع لم يحرب هذه الطرق، أو حربها لفترات قصيرة ولنصوص قصيرة نسبيا، ولكن الأمر سيختلف تماما إذا أردت حفظ نصوص طويلة لمدّة زمنيّة طويلة. في هذا الأمر عليك أن تسأل المسلمين، لأن عندهم خبرة طويلة.

Let me explain to you my method and the way many Muslims have memorized the Qur’an and other texts. For your knowledge, millions of Muslim boys and girls (many of them under 5 years old) memorize the Qur’an by heart, and some of them memorize the number of each verse, and are able to list the verses backwards: 9, 8, 7, 6,5… and so on, knowing that there are more than 70,000 words in the Qur’an. Memorization seems strange in Western cultures, but for Muslims it is very important even necessary, because prayer is only valid by reading a surah from the Qur’an.
Lets move to the description of the method: I can memorize verse by a verse or a page by page. This depends on many factors. In my experience, since my memory is auditory, I used to hear the Qur’an in a beautiful voice before I memorized it. Sometimes I memorized entire passages from just listening, especially if the reader’s voice was beautiful, like you memorize a song quickly if you heard it a lot and loved it. Then I start the actual memorization process, reading the verse, or a group of verses, or an entire page over and over, until I can read it without looking at the book. Then I repeat what I memorized 50 times from memory. Tomorrow I memorize a new section and repeat it 50 times from memory, and repeat the part that precedes it 25 times, the part before it 10 times, the part before it 5 times, and the part before it once, always from memory. after 5 days, I will have read the part from my memory 91 times. Distributing the memorization in this way gives the mind sufficient time for the information to ferment. I memorized the entire Qur’an in this way, and I can read it from my memory with an accuracy exceeding 95%. Most of the errors occur in places where there are similarities. We call them “mutashabihat”, and we use different methods to distinguish them, such as verbal mnemonics and linking.
I also used this method for memorizing the hadiths of the Prophet Muhammad, may God bless him and grant him peace. But after years of practicing, I found that the hadith I repeat 200 times I can hardly forget. There are hadiths that I memorized 10 years ago and older, and until now they are firmly entrenched in my memory, although I do not review them often. Of course, I memorize the hadith in the same way: today 100 times, the day after 50, the day after 25, the day after 10, the day after 5, the day after one time. There are muslim scholars who memorize hundreds of thousands of hadiths, and memorize many books on various sciences by heart (word by word).
I think that the motivation here is very important, we memorize this way because we believe that’s a condition of our happiness in this world and the afterlife. Therefore, I read in this forum and other places about ways to memorize by heart by using visual mnemonics, and I was very surprised, because I know that this methods are impractical. Most of those who speak on this subject and suggest methods have not tried these methods, or tried them for short periods and with relatively short texts, but the matter will be completely different if you want to preserve long texts for a long period of time. In this matter you should ask Muslims, because they have long experience.

1 Like

Maybe your method is the best for memorizing verbatim long texts as you say.
But who would want that? Only those memorizing scriptures like the Bible or the Qur’an. (and you have the advantage that you know you’re dealing with the original text? at least)
Besides as you can realize texts like those have a story and a sense of logic, right? (I wouldn’t know :smiley: )
But if you want to memorize lists of items with no relation between them… like the name of country capitals of the world, and stuff like that… What would you do? Put the names one after the other in a text and read them 100 times to start? I don’t think that would work. In this case visual mnemonics is the best method.

1 Like

False. The method of loci is highly efficient for the memorization of texts. You’re saying they’re not. I replied how to do it, which is not the only way at all, I told you that I have memorized texts verbatim this way. I also have memorized information in a very fast and not relaxed state, not verbatim, with the same method. Rote memorization is not stronger than the art of memory. The art of memory exists because of the multiple ways we humans have needed to remember huge amount of information with precision (see Art of Memory by Yates, and Lynne Kelly’s books “they are very good”).

Have you read the part of Rethorica Ad Herenium regarding memory? Or Cicero? You say you know about it. But your statements don’t follow. It is scientifically tested, method of loci is greater than pure imagery which in turn is greater than rote memorization.

Maybe if you mean the creation of memory palaces, or the creation of images. Maybe, you imply there is difficulty or that the organization could be overwhelming: it depends on the person and their motivation. Would you like to tell us the reasons why it is impractical for you?

Now, consider this. I wouldn’t memorize long text verbatim for the sole purpose that it is contra intelligence: I prefer to update, adapt, interpret, or create understanding, then this I memorize verbatim. For instance, If I would memorize the knowlegde taught in a psychology book or the list of cognitive biases despicted on Wikipedia, I wouldn’t memorize the text but what I understand. However, I like poems, those I would memorize, some poems are very short, others not long not short, others long (), and others almost like a tale in prose (Dante Alighieri: Inferno, Paradiso, Purgatorio). You say it’s impractical to use the AOM for verbatim memorization:

It’s all about organization. Do you memorize the whole Quran or Bible in a day? No? Ok. Me neither. Now, it would take you time. The AOM is superior when you’re organized for your task. Having your memory palaces organized and the time for the memorization process: AOM wins over rote memorization. But you also organized for rote memorization, you dedicate time and you make yourself recite 50 times and so on as you mentioned. With the AOM, you’d review within your mind (no recitation, just imagination), 5 reviews is more than enough.

Now maybe it is the organization of your loci what you find impractical or the creation of images.

Regarding the organization of your memory palaces or loci: you probably have dozens of real life places you’ve been to that you remember, just sit and assign spots as loci. Maybe you want imaginary worlds, you can do that too. But probably just out of your own house you could get up to the thousand in loci: don’t be conservative. Of course, a beginner may not understand this because of misinformation given by well intentioned fellow mnemonists, but the limit is litterally your imagination.

Regarding the creation of images: the more you understand the LIA principles and your process of association (when you imagine something and assign it to an idea) this becomes easier, personal experience. But all is perspective, you can go as small as assigning a skyscrapper size image to represent a word, a human size picture for a word, a fingernail size picture for a word or, in the most “practical” way a fingernail size image for a whole text, a human size picture for a whole page of words, a full chapter of a book in an skyscrapper image size. As a personal rule (and because neurological implications): I do one image per locus, and from the image derivate a thread of variations for itself. Ex. Image: “Noah”, Noah holds an staff (variation, more mnemonic information), Noah makes fearful expression drops staff, angry yells, run, enters Ark. All that within one locus, that could be representing the whole Noah’s Flood myth mnemonicly, always fitting it with the text. I don’t intend to memorize these kind of books, tho. So, I wouldn’t share a method for this. I have my reasons to suggest I’d be harming rather than helping.

Anyways, I want to know what are those reasons to call the AOM, impractical for verbatim memorization. And yes, I call the use of the method of loci as core mnemonic, as pertaining to the art of memory, and synonymous of the art of memory (AOM).

I thought a lot about what you said, and I hope we can work this together.

For example there are millions of words in the ARABIC language (not exaggerating). Lets narrow it to 77,000 (number of words in the QURAN). We suppose after eliminating duplicates, it remains 7000 words. I estimate 90% or more of those 7000 words do not have a clear association (abstract words, Prepositions, Pronouns…), So you have to create associations for more than 6000 words and memorize them. A descent amount of those 6000 must be linked with random images (especially abstract ones). For example Synonyms must be distinguished some how. I see no way to do that except associating random images to those Synonyms. Practically, you need to create a new language. Now you should memorize this associations, and create images and put them in Locis. We are talking here about hundreds of Locis, wich is another problem. Despite all this effort you should deal with a big amount of INTERFERENCE, because this task requires that you use almost every object and person (real or fictional) you know. Some images will be very similar to others with little differences, and that will be very challenging. Even order will be a problem, words must come in the correct order, you don’t have the luxury of dealing with ideas.

Now tell me @InMyMemoryWorld , how LONG you estimate this task will take?

I think by the time you do all of this, and maybe deal with other problems I haven’t anticipate, I will finish memorizing ROT the entire book, with the advantage of dealing directly with words without DECODING that take more time in recalling, and I can STUDY and ANALYZE and search for ASSOCIATIONS way more easily and efficiently.

I think creating memory palaces is the best approach to learning a text word for word. I think it creates faster recall and gives one the ability to recite a text backwards or forwards at ease. However, I think memory palaces are much more difficult with texts in comparison to other disciplines because you have to often create images for association for abstract words and concepts. But, I think through practice, vibrant imagination, creativity, one’s speed in creating these eventually becomes natural and effortless. It is truly an art because one has to look at a text and “create” associations or making “something” out of seemingly “nothing.” The paint brush of phonetics, sounds, smells, tastes, and images; one has to see a “mnemonic figure” inside the marble of abstraction and then chisel it with the tool of association.

2 Likes

@RonaldJohnson I see you are memorizing the book of Romans. Can you share your method with us in details?

I use the memory palace combined with a peg system.
1 = bun, 2 = shoe, 3 = tree, 4, = door and so on.

Memory Palace + Peg System
Chapter 1:1
Verse 1 = loci 1 / bun. I incorporate the imagine of a bun in location 1. If loci 1 is the parking lot I would turn a fixed object of that location into bread. So, I would imagine myself sitting in car made of bread and my hand on a steering wheel of bread.

Chapter 1:2
Verse 2 = loci 2 / shoe. If loci 2 is a sidewalk I would imagine the sidewalk filled with shoes and every time I walk on it I am sinking down into the ground.

Chapter Transitions
For each chapter I have an object from the peg-system in my hand. So, as I am mentally walking through the memory palace I know what chapter I am on. In chapter 1 there is a small bun made of gold in my hand. When I transition to chapter 2, there is a tiny shoe made of gold in my hand, and when I move to chapter 3 there is a tiny tree made of gold in my hand and so on. If it transitions to 2:1 then now, I imagine that there is a tree in my hand and I start over with the peg system. In loci 1 of chapter 2 an object of the location is turned into bread. By using the peg-system in the memory palace I am able to mental dash through verses at high speeds to any verse of any chapter.

Titled Verses
I borrowed this method from someone on the art of memory forum but I modified it. I think transitions are key to recall, so I try to have the first letters fixed on my mind. I take the first word of each verse, and turn the first two letters into two different characters. So, for example

Romans 2:19 - “And if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who walk in darkness.”

Title: AND
Character: Andy Mineo (First letter of “And”), Nathan (Second letter of “And”)
Peg: Lightning

I imagine Andy Mineo holding a shure microphone that shines light upon the path of a blind man by the name of Nathan. “Shure” is a brand of microphones, and shure is associated the word, “sure” in “if you are sure that you are a guide to the blind.” Then I imagine lightning striking next to the Nathan as he is walking with a cane and falling because in my peg system 19 = lightning.

Memorizing Exact Words
I use many techniques but I will share some:

The Kickflip Technique: I imagine that the word itself is a skateboard and someone is riding it and does a “kickflip” and the skateboard magically changes into another word. For example,
“Does not obey the truth, but obeys unrighteousness” A person riding a skateboard that is carved in the shape of truth, he does a kick-flip and the skateboard turns into “unrighteousness” To remember the word “not” I imagine the skateboard to have a knot tied on his head.

The Magic Trick Technique: I imagine a magician with a word that waves a wand over it and it turns into another word.

The Pulling Out of Body Technique: I imagine putting my hand into someones stomach and pulling out physical words covered in slime and blood. The skin of their stomach turns into bubble and as I put my hand into their skin turns to a rock so my hand is stuck inside and as I am pulling my hand back out the skin turns back to bubble, back to their skin and it closes perfectly. In my hand are words that I can feel and visually see in my hand.

Repetition
In addition to creating the memory palace I try to familiarize myself with the text. So in the morning I read the chapters for a certain amount of time and before I go to bed I read the chapters. However, in the afternoon I only read the first letters of each word. For example,

Morning: For I am not ashamed of the gospel for it is the power of God for salvation
Night: F I a n a o t g f i i t p o G f s

I also have someone reading the passage and I import it into IMOVIE and duplicate the audio until the 10 minute mark so I am listening to the same passage on repeat. Then I upload the video on a private YouTube account and as I am driving or doing household chores I am listening to the verses on repeat.

Zooming In Method
Sometimes I zoom in on bodies, for example in one room I imagine there to be a dead body and I zoom on and use the body method. 1) Head 2) Ears, 3) Eyes, 4) Nose, 5) Mouth 6) Chin, 7) Armpit, 8) Belly Button, 9) Knees, and 10) Feet.

Then to get 10 more I use an Switching App Technique. I imagine that I swiping the body across like an app on my iphone to get to another app but the body is no longer a body but it’s shadow and I can swipe back and forth between the two “apps”, namely, the physical body and its shadow.

These are some things that I do but I do a lot of things for memorizing long-text because each verse needs a different approach to make it memorable.

2 Likes

I Think Imagining the word itself is contradictory to mnemonics, because if you can remember the world why bother putting it in an image?!

you don’t get a lot of interference like this?! I mean If you Imagine 10 or 20 or 100 bodies, their parts are similar, so you end up with same 100 heads, 100 ears, 100 noses, and so on. it’s like putting 100 images in the same loci. I know the bodies are located in different locis, but zooming will cover the surrounding, like you are entering another loci.

I don’t think it’s contradictory. Mnemonics may be defined as anything that assist one’s memory. When I see them a word like a coin that I flip in my hand the word is as real as an apple or a snail.

In regards to your second point. I would never zoom in that often because I try to avoid clutter in the mental eye as it would cause confusion. In my memory palace I only have one body method but I can zoom into a variety of things such as a painting on a wall or a tv screen while a particular scene is playing. The main thing is try to have clear and bright mental space for clarity.

I was reciting the QURAN today, quickly (for some reason), and i realized the big limitation if i memorized the QURAN with mnemonics. I read more than 6000 words in one hour, meaning 100 words per minute, and I wasn`t going as fast as i can. Now, Reciting is important, but the point I’m trying to make here is about understanding and analyzing and explaining, which is more important than reciting. The ideas and concepts encoded in mnemonics moves like a turtle compared to those memorized ROT.

You should know that i memorized QURAN for many reasons, the most important one is finding answers and solutions to all kinds of problems, and to do that you should dig deep, think a lot, make links, decode, find similarities and differences. To accomplish such task you should have a lot of tools, especially the ability to extract the info you need wherever it’s : from any verse in any soura. I think with mnemonics, the task will be MUCH MUCH difficult. Now that takes me to a Second point :

I think you experienced, and every one who practiced mnemonics enough, the evolution from mnemonics to mastery : that level when you don’t need verbal or visual links any more, because the info became entrenched in your memory. What do you call this Level? Isn’t a proof that mnemonics is not the highest and best level of remembering and analyzing? Now you can say that you cant reach mastery in every knowledge you try to acquire, and that’s RIGHT, so mnemonics is the solution when we can’t reach mastery. Professionals in their fields won’t rely a lot on mnemonics, that’s why they are more effective.
Even if memorizing verbatim text with mnemonics is faster and easier in the short term (which is highly debatable) compared to ROT memorizing, in the long term GOOD ROT memorizing is proof of mastery not mnemonics.
I’m aware that Books like QURAN can’t be compared to most books, but the principle is the same.