How to memorize chess matches?

Hey everyone :slightly_smiling_face:,

I want to memorize several chess matches, openings and tactics, but I don’t know how doing that.
I would be grateful if you could post how you would memorize it.

2 Likes

you make note and can use pao system

I’m not sure, but have you see the posts tagged with #chess yet?

1 Like

Hey Alex,

with 6 different pieces and 64 squares, there is 384 different possible moves in chess. I think the easiest way to memorize games or openings would be to create a PO system for every 2 moves (1 for white, 1 for black) and working with that. Especially if you already have a 000-999 PAO system for numbers, you could simply translate those images to chess moves.

I’m planning to do something like this myself in the future, so let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Shellfish That’s an interesting idea, yet I’m a bit confused. Do you plan to encode just the end position of every move? For instance when the white queen goes from a1 to a5 and the black king from c5 to c6, the PO picture would be the person for ‘queen a5’ and the object for ‘king c6’?

Basically, two ways of doing it… memorizing the notation as in Bc4 for bishop to c4 and put it together with black’s move into one location in your memory palace. Simply convert A-F into 1-8 and use the Person (chess piece) with the object in your 2-digit system.

Advantage is that you learn how to read chess notation at the same time… disadvantage is that you will also need to encode “castling”, ambiguous moves, etc. An alternative way is to forget about the piece and just memorize which square to which square.

So f6 to c4 in the above example. Again, convert the letters into digits and all you’re doing is recalling a double digit sequence; in this case 6634. I’d still put four double digits into the same location though, so that you know what’s going on.

Secret option 3, but only if you do blindfolded Rubik’s cubing and have a double-letter system for speffz… convert 1-8 into A-H instead and store a double letter pair for each move. No advantage here, but in case you have a double letter system, but no double digit system, you don’t have to create one first.

2 Likes

These ideas are interesting.

Thank you for your answer! I will think about it which technique to choose for chess memorization.

Yours Sincerely

I actually did this a while back for a few games and it was really easy to just place the moves (whatever the notations made me think of) in a palace, without any extra system.

But if I’d plan to memorize hundreds more, I’d start by trying something like @Shellfish and @bjoern.gumboldt and ad those to my palace.

But then again, what I already did, I think after reviewing I wouldn’t really need to add a system… I guess I’d just go with what works well enough and in time adapt with some exploration and adaptation.

Have you managed to memorize some ?

I have a 700 traps book ID really like to get through to get better at blitz, which is my only drug these days, aside from walking as fast as I can :walking_man:

1 Like

Why you need to memorise chess matches ,you simply play the game of chess. You automatically gain experience and know which type of opening is best.
Because every chess match is unique why you copy someone chess match it may defeat you because your opponent Also know that matches
If he / she do same process like learning chess match that you are doing.

Why not?

Because you can only get so far withyour own intuition and calculation. All great players study games to get better, as far as I know. You are not copying the games, you are learning from them. And yes, as strange as that may sound, for me at least, memorizing some of it helps me get to the understanding of some of it, sometimes. It helped me more than once get better…

1 Like

I also want to saying that we do not copying others just gaining experience
Because totally copied opening in chess can defeat us.

1 Like

@Rajadodve786 have you played chess before? There are common openings and of course you and your opponent both know the starting position of the Ruy Lopez is reached after: 1. e4, e5; 2. Nf3, Nc6; and 3. Bb5 has been played.

That doesn’t mean either of you is at any advantage yet because chess is not exactly tic-tac-toe. As far as your “copy someone chess match,” this opening has been around for 500 years. You’re not really copying Johnny’s game from last weekend.

1 Like

when your opening is ruy lopez your opponent atleast understand your opening that playing chess for many times.
But if you mix up the opening your opponent can’t understand what can you doing.
This is my point to say.

Why do you think that? Italian game, French defense, and Queen’s gambit are all common openings that are taught to beginners. Why is there a need for playing “many times”?

Compare to speed cubing where you can use CFOP, Roux, or ZZ to solve the cube and unless the person solves in under 15-20 seconds, you probably won’t even need to slow down the video to see which one is being used. Same goes for blindfolded solves with OP/OP, OP/M2, Turbo, 3-style, etc.

I’ve taught people the beginner’s method in under 30 minutes before. brought them up to 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL just a few days later, and had them under a minute in a couple of weeks. I don’t see why somebody needs to play “many times” just to recognize a few standard opening.

After all, that was @mercy’s original question… you can of course memorize entire matches if you want to, but I don’t think that’s what he had in mind.

By your logic, you should just turn the cube until you figure out what happens when you do and eventually a strategy will reveal itself… similarly, we could just hit a bunch of keys on the piano until we get to a pleasing melody. Memorizing openings in chess is really quite the opposite of uncommon.

EDIT

Just a quick edit to answer your edit if this is your point now:

Your opponent will in fact quite well understand… he’ll understand that you don’t know what you’re doing and take advantage of it. It’s chess not paper-rock-scissors… you don’t confuse somebody by doing irrational moves.

Also, chess analysts may add exclamation marks and question marks to their reviews. All your mix up will get you in a standard opening is a ? or ??:

!! – brilliant move
! – good move
? – bad move
?? – terrible move
!? – unusual move
?! – dubious move

ps: please google “chess notation score sheet” or just have a look here:

https://blog.chesshouse.com/how-to-read-and-write-algebraic-chess-notation/

1 Like

You think without practicing you can solve cube in just 15-20 seconds
Or beginner solve cube in one minute if you train them

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Okay bro, you win I loss in this chat.
Now fine

2 Likes

Yes exactly! The beginning positions don’t matter, you already know where the pieces are.

Of course there are some exceptions, like when two rooks on a1 and h1 both can go to d1, but you can come up with something for that.

1 Like

If more than one piece of the same type could have moved to the square to which the piece was moved, then the file of the piece prior to its move should come in between the piece’s symbol and the coordinates of its destination (i.e., Rad1). If necessary, the rank it was on may also be added, (i.e., Ra1d1). At least that’s how it’s handled in regular notation, so in this case either/or:

Ra1d1
Rh1d1