How many languages do you speak? [POLL]

How many languages can you speak at a conversational level or better?

• 13 or more

0 voters

Leave a comment below with a list of the languages. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Spanish, American Sign Language.

4 Likes

I speak both English & Turkish languages fluently.

If I just had a little more time in my hand, I would also love to learn at least a few hundred words of each of these languages. Spanish, French, German, Italian,Thai, and Chinese.

5 Likes

English - native
Russian - not bad, but not good either

3 Likes

2 (English and Spanish) languages, 3 if you count Spanglish :grin:

4 Likes

Japanese and Chinese

In the future, I hope to learn English, Esperanto, Korean, and Spanish. Latin if possible

6 Likes

Dutch, English, German, French, Japanese (though I cant read or write Kanji) and Afrikaans.

4 Likes

Vietnamese and English with a little Japanese, French, Spainish and Korean

2 Likes

Swedish (native) + Finnish and English fluently, reading German and understand Vietnamese like spoken to a toddler (e.g. sit down, eat your food, be quiet, go to sleep etc.). No one understands though when I try to speak Vietnamese :grinning:

2 Likes

I’d say it depends a bit in the context whether you’re conversational or not. Would that term also apply to dead languages or a conlang? Any chance you could let us know on this A1 - C2 scale what you’d consider conversational?

My guess is that you’re referring to A2 or B1 and better. In general, you are expected to have a level of command of the French language corresponding to B1/B2 if you plan to enroll in a master’s or PhD program in France: https://www.studyineurope.eu/study-in-france/admission-requirements

English, plus others on the Germanic and Italic branches to varying degrees.

4 Likes

Conversational: English, Marathi, Hindi, Urdu
Learning: Japanese, Bengali,

4 Likes

German (mother tongue), English, Russian, and Spanish

I am learning french and latin

2 Likes

Yes, somewhere around those levels.

Conlangs and dead languages are included if you can find speakers. (Esperanto, Toki Pona, spoken Latin, etc.)

On forums where most “conversations” are about whether kili jelo is a banana or a lemon. :wink:

Here’s a nice pdf overview of the various levels:

1 Like

My native language is English and I’m mostly fluent in Esperanto. I’m currently learning Spanish to test out whether or not I can expedite the listening comprehension portion of language learning, as I’ve always struggled the most with that aspect. So far I’ve been having some good results.

3 Likes

English, German As a threshold, I consider under 2,000 words of a language, non-conversational. So I’ve lost my Spanish.

On the bigger picture, I no longer have any interest in learning new languages. As a world traveler, visiting over 55 countries most off the beaten track, I’ve found that much communication is done with expression, enthusiasm, and gesticulation. And that sometimes speaking the language is a liability. No knowing a language is not the handicap it once was.

1 Like

I can speak English and Malay at native level fluency and Russian at a intermediate-advanced level. I can understand some spoken Mandarin and read Arabic without understanding a word of it XD

3 Likes

HI there, if you want some help in learning Vietnamese, let me be your guider if you are willing to :innocent:. BTW, can you give me your social accounts info so that we can together help u speak Vietnamese more fluently, ok? (Since Vietnamese is my mothertongue =) ), thanks.
Lucas

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the offer! Being married to a Vietnamese it is however easier for me to talk with her, even if she’s one of the ones laughing most :grin:

Cảm ơn nhiều lam!

2 Likes

English,hindi,urdu,arabic, Persian

1 Like