How many languages do you speak? [POLL]

It’s interesting that 3 languages is the most common answer so far (39%).

3 Likes

Seems like I better learn another one soon then. I only speak 2 languages.

I think there has to be a good reason for a person to learn another language.
I thought about learning a few hundred words of Spanish, Italian, Thai, Chinese, because I really like it, however the chances are I’ll probably never use it. There is just not enough motivation for me to make a start.

Another thing is; English language is widely spoken all over the world, so I assume it makes most people think they don’t need to learn another one. And they become lazy about learning a language once they can speak English.

1 Like

Here’s some inspiration: Interview with a polyglot who speaks 20 languages

1 Like

I speak English fluently. My French is pretty good and my Spanish is conversational. I dabble in other too but I wouldn’t put them at conversational (yet!)
I also find it interesting that the top answer is 3.

1 Like

English- sorta
German- maybe sorta
Mostly Hessian flavoured Denglisch with the kids (although we try to speak High German with the Grandkinder) .

Denglisch? Well when we go to the supermarket , to save on having to reverse out of the parking space we always look for a ‘durch-durch’ (a ‘through-through’) which is two empty spaces end-to-end.

1 Like

Polish native, English professional.
German B2/C1
Spanish and Russian A2/B1

2 Likes

Just 2. Dutch and English.
I used to be fluent in portuguese (brasil) when I was a kid but I don’t know enough to be considered fluent in the language now.

Fun story though, I got drunk once with some of my cousins who can still speak portuguese and suddenly I was talking portuguese to them again x) I guess this means I can pick it up pretty quickly if I try to :slight_smile:

1 Like

English and Swedish fluently, and i think i’m intermidiate in Spanish, haven’t practiced speaking so much…yet.

1 Like

Speak, at one time it was English, Hebrew and Spanish, but my Spanish is very weak now. Used to teach Hebrew and Aramaic.

Read: Depends on how you count:

In addition, at one time I could read Arabic, Aramaic and Latin. .I could follow the news broadcasts in Arabic. Aramaic is actually a group of languages and there were 3 of those. But all very similar so perhaps 1.5pts for that? haha. I learned Latin under duress and expunged it from my memory.

In specialized contexts: With a dictionary, I can read a French or German, tech paper or even a chapter in my field without too much pain.

3 Likes

An aside: I think there’s an enormous benefit from learning a 2nd language well enough to think in it. It’s also the most difficult step. It’s very hard to get unhooked from the conviction that your mother tongue is somehow fundamental and right, that all other languages are just translations.

2 Likes

I once read a study that found that bilingual children with autism gain an easier time when having to switch tasks.

I raise my own children bilingual (English and Dutch) and I notice in my oldest that she often has an easier time expressing herself when she can use two languages. She also stays curious for longer, wanting to know what things are called in different languages.

2 Likes

Italian, French and Spanish BUT as I was born into a multicultural family there are my mother tongues.

I’m learning English. My English, however, is very bad.

I’ll try to improve my English and then learn Arabic, Hindi and Quechua. I guess that in 25 years I will be able to have conversational level in these 3 languages.

1 Like

Est-ce que tes enfants sont autistes? Are your children autistics?

Seulement ma fille aînée :slight_smile: (just my eldest daughter)

1 Like

And which language wanto to lear .I wanna learn palli…
And you guys.

Like hibbru

1 Like

@Vishwas1
I wanna to learn Japanese.

2 Likes

i know japanese beacuse we learn it at school

i can speak punjabi and english the best
italian and japanese 2nd
hindi and chinese a little bit

1 Like

Arabic native, English and Turkish.

3 Likes

One of my sons is raising his kids in Dutch and English. He married a Dutch girl. They started their family in Amsterdam then moved to the UK. There’s a small community of Dutch expats and they run a “Dutch Sunday School” for the kids.

1 Like