High salt diet impairs memory‐related synaptic plasticity via increased oxidative stress and suppressed synaptic protein expression

The complete article is given in the title.

At first, I wasn’t going to supply any text, but that might break the forum. So here’s a link:

Thanks.

2 Likes

1. Introduction

Salt (sodium chloride) is a major source of sodium in human nutrition. In general, the dietary intake of sodium chloride around the world has increased considerably over the last few decades 1, 2. […] Additionally, a high salt (HS) diet has also been found to correlate with impaired cognitive functioning 8 and changes in emotional state 9, although the underlying mechanisms remain largely unknown.

Not quite that simple… salt and sodium is not the same thing. Also, always fun when the research title suggest causation when the paper itself only mentioned a correlation; most likely due to potassium consumption balancing the sodium.

Let’s not forget that both sodium and potassium are essential minerals for our body. In fact you can buy potassium salt or low sodium salt that contains both sodium and potassium.

3 Likes

Also, always fun when the research title suggest causation when the paper itself only mentioned a correlation.

I’m wondering if that was a translation error when translating the paper from Chinese to English.

It says that the experimental group of mice were decapitated in order to analyze their brain tissues. I assume that meant a traditional mouse trap death (which a friend of mine calls a “snappy trappy”) but now I’m picturing a tiny mouse guillotine.

Fun (and completely unrelated) fact about the other kind of mice: the computer mouse was called that because of its long cord (“tail”).

1 Like

This youtuber has some good research on salt which might be more enlightening
I can’t upload videos so you can search ‘salt what I’ve learned’

1 Like

You should be able to paste a YouTube link to embed a video. (updated)

I switched to a low-sodium diet back around April. It was easier to do that expected. Everything at home is cooked from scratch, so I can measure 1/4 tsp of salt into my food once or twice per day. It comes out to about 500-1000mg of sodium per day on most days, but probably a bit more if I eat out (not often). I don’t know exactly what effect it has on my health, but I’ve barely noticed the change.

1 Like

I stopped adding salt to my food in Saudi Arabia in 1982. All the Yanks were giving up. That was their latest “thing”. The Yanks were always on a “thing”. They had a jogging thing about 1970. People told them they looked stupid puffing on a fag while they were jogging. That started a no-smoking thing.

My GP told me I had “the blood pressure of a teenager, and the blood tests of a 30-year-old”. So 32 years of no salt hasn’t caused any measurable effects on me.

To balance the books, here’s a link that shows the NEGATIVE effects of low sodium. The article is unusual in that it provides actual links to substantiate most of the assertions. All the links pass through PubMed Central. So we’ve now gone full cycle: my OP is also from PubMed. you pays your money and you takes your choice.

The article mentions nothing about cramps - usually at the back of the calf muscles. It can be agonizingly painful. It’s common in football (yclept “soccer” in the US). At the end of some games which are still equal at full-time, extra time is added. That’s when you see guys lying on their backs all over the place, having their toes pushed up towards their kneecaps by another player - even by an opposing player.

In Kuwait in 1980, the Brits carried salt tablets at all times, as part of their contracts. But that was around the time when the dangers of sodium were beginning to surface, so they only swallowed the tablets AFTER the initial twinges of cramps.

Thanks.

1 Like

If I am right, those dangers are “media dangers”. A fear spread by the phrasing of a result, rather than the result itself.

Doing sports increases your salt/sodium requirement. Sweating increases you salt/sodium requirement. Salts and sodium that you have to much will be removed from your body by your kidneys.

Too much salt puts strain on some organs, but that strain in their job. Unless you perfectly balance your intake and requirement, you are forcing your organs tk work one way or another. When you get too much of something you need, your body generally has a way to deal with it.

Not getting enough, however, that is the real problem. That puts the body in a state of alert, and that state usually tends to break stuff.

Getting too much increases your risk, not getting enough increases your risk much more

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. It’s amazing that nutrition experts are unable to agree on coherent nutritional recommendations. :confused:

Maybe I shouldn’t restrict it. I set my lower limit at 500 mg, because I had read that it was the minimum needed.

Our ancestors were hunter-gatherers — would most of them have been able to regularly consume 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium per day if they weren’t living by the ocean?

1 Like

Truly, I don’t even know what to think anymore.