Recommendation for brain food?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but… Can anyone recommend some health brain food?

It’s a good place to post it. :slight_smile:

There’s some discussion about food here and here. Also search the forum for “nutrition” and see the Natural Ways to Improve Memory page.

How is your current diet?

My goal is to get all the necessary vitamin and mineral in through the day without supplement. I would also like it to be exactly the same every day. My diet isn’t much but… For breakfast I eat 2 eggs, two slices of while wheat bread, a banana, soy milk with protein powder( I lift weight daily) that seem to be loaded with nutrients like potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and more. I’m the morning I take several vitimans such as zinc, b complex, potassium, omega 3-6-9, and spirulina. For lunch and dinner I usually eat some soup that are heavily packed with several vegetable like carots, celery, spinach, cucumbers, and broccoli. It also has tofu and chia. If I go to work it is usually a sandwich with spinich… I am really looking on improving. Through the day I eat usually around 6 carots, protein powder, and chia. Oh and I also drink tea. I also workout daily.

Anyways any ideas on how to improve it? Any suggestions on certain things I should add or take out? Looking at your previous posts you have been trying to improve your diet for quite some time, I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

I’m not a nutrition expert and am not qualified to give nutrition advice, but I can share my own self-experiments. :slight_smile:

This is just how I eat at the moment:

I don’t take supplements or fortified foods, except for 2000mg of vitamin D (doctor prescribed it), a probiotic, and fish oil capsules (2000-4000 mg of omega 3s per day, but this is due to trying to manage health problems). (2019 update: I don’t take those other supplements any more.)

I avoid refined food and mostly eat whole foods that I’ve cooked from scratch. I tend to cook things in advance like in the photos below and then mix the ingredients to create various dishes (restaurant style). That helps ensure that I don’t run out of quick access to healthy foods.

Those photos are from when I was eating only two giant salads per day (low starch vegan + fish diet). I’ve stopped that experiment and have tried to eat just one large meal per day (including grains and meat but no dairy) plus a snack, but I think that is ending now. I also do a water fast for 3-5 days per month.

I can’t recommend these extreme experiments – I’m doing them out of health necessity. Some of the experiments work better than others.

My protein intake is probably too low at the moment. I will increase the legume intake to cover that.

I’m hoping that using vegetables as a main staple ensures that I get enough nutrients. Eliminating empty calories (refined grains, sugar, etc.) means a higher amount of the nutrient-dense food.

I’m 70 pounds lighter than I used to be. My BMI went from “obese” to normal. I still don’t have my diet exactly right for my situation, but it’s working much better for me than when I didn’t have a system.

Oh wow 70lb that must feel great. Thanks for the pictures, it will help me choose what I should add into my diet and what green I should look up. Btw what I that yellow stuff in that jar and those noodles called?

The “noodles” are baked spaghetti squash. :slight_smile:

(I don’t eat refined grains, so no noodles or bread.)

The yellow stuff in the jar is the water leftover after steaming all the vegetables. I use it as stock to cook soups – mostly based with lentils or other beans. I steam most of my food, since I usually don’t eat oils other than raw olive oil (and the fish oil capsules).

If you’re looking for vegetable ideas, here are some great ones:

Brassica oleracea is probably my staple food. It’s one plant species that takes many different forms:

• broccoli
  • cabbage (red, green, napa)
  • collard greens
  • kohlrabi
  • gailan (Chinese broccoli)
  • Brussels sprouts
  • cauliflower
  • kale
  • and more...

All of those are very nutritious.

Other good vegetables:

• okra
  • green beans
  • beets
  • chard (beet leaves)
  • bitter melon (an acquired taste, but healthy)
  • summer squashes (including zucchini)
  • winter squashes (kabocha is my favorite)
  • mushrooms
  • spinach
  • turnips
  • rutabaga
  • carrots (though I usually put those in soup or grate them raw into salads)

If you live anywhere near an Asian grocery story, they are good places to find interesting vegetables. Also check farmers markets.

I never thought that I would be back to normal BMI, so that part feels great.

That list is very helpful, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into them.