Bible Scripture Verbatim Process (updated 7/26/12)

Revelation 20:4
And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

THE MEMORY GRID
The following is the memory grid I came up with that cues me in my verbatim memorizing system process. Since Rev. 20:4 is the longest verse in the New Testament, it assures me that there is a place for every word in any verse no matter how long. Look at the MG (Memory Grid), then, the explanation of terms below it.

lanier_memory_grid_rev_20_vs4.gif

ALPHA CHARACTER(s)
I do this using what I call, Alpha Characters (AC). I use 3 sets (1) Lady Alpha Characters, (2) Male Alpha Characters and Other Alpha Characters. I also use a Visual Alphabet where each Letter Symbol resembles the actual Letter (ex. A= Oil Derrick… I just see the oil gushing out).

If you look, you will see that I have a TITLE for this verse, AND I SAW… these are the first 3 words of it. The letters in the TITLE let me know which Alpha Characters I will be using and the order of their appearance. The Lady AC start odd number verses (1, 3, 5, 37, etc) and the Man AC the even (2, 4, 26, 68, etc). This is an even number verse (4). So, the Male ACs begin the process.

The VT on the second Row stands for VERTICAL TITLE. It helps me remember the ACs and the correct memorization order.

WORD SUBSTITUTE
Notice that there is a WORD SUBSTITUTE, which is a Sound-Like or Symbol for every word in the verse except for tangibles that can easily be visualized just as they are. They follow the slash mark (/) after their corresponding VERSE WORDS.

HANG THE WORDS
Now, all that’s left is to hang the words of the verse on the ACs in the proper places (Position #1, #2, 3# & #4). I do this by using what I call the FACE SYSTEM. If I want to double the coverage, I just simply add another word to each position, using the LINK system. Once you get a feel for it, you’ll see the ACs without writing them out.

F-A-C-E System and POSITIONS
This is where the FACE acronym comes in. Or maybe for the astute memorizer, the PAO system.
There are four facts I know about each Alpha Character. Each fact image holds one or more words. Sometimes I might use one fact image to hold all 4 words. Just depends on the particular AC.

Here’s how I use the FACE System:

Feature - Something that stands out or I cause to stand out or exaggerate with my imagination. It could be their face, body or even a certain expression.

Abode – Where does the AC live? What does their HOUSE look like? If I don’t know, I might assign one to them. But it is important that it’s always the same place. Or if they are a movie star, I might picture them sitting on the HOLLYWOOD sign in California. Or if they live in Texas, they can stand by BIG TEX at the state fair. Anything that will fall into the ABODE column will work.

Career- What do they do? (doctor, entertainer, housewife, dentist, athlete, artist, teacher, etc.)

Event or Enjoyment- What HAPPENING or HOBBY can you associate with this AC? Do they like to play golf as a hobby, or fish. It doesn’t have to be a hobby. It could be some funny thing they did like driving a VW into a swimming pool to see if it floats. I was told Frank Sinatra did that. That would fall into the EVENT category.

Now to the starting place.

START AT THE TOP
I use the term, START AT THE TOP AND READ LIKE A CLOCK to keep me going the right direction as I keep pegging along. I use this term because each verse has an environment and an object that I build the MEMORY around. Position #1 is at the TOP, Position #2 is at the RIGHT, Position #3 is at the BOTTOM, and Position #4 is at the LEFT.

I do entire chapters using these memory helps.

What do you think?
www.garylanier.com