Verbatim Approach to Memorizing Sentences & Paragraphs

Hello deinemarke,

Sorry for the long delay in replying.

My son-in-law is a lawyer in Tulsa, Oklahoma (USA) http://www.gablelaw.com/attorneys/terry-ragsdale.html . So, though I am below the novice level in legal matters, I enjoy hearing courtroom stories of how some cases have been won or lost in such unusual ways.

REGARDING YOUR POST

Preliminaries 1: an understanding of basic mnemonics such as visualization, association, pegs, Major System, Loci, and Substitute Words.

Preliminaries 2 (Lanier stuff): Alpha Character (AC), Visual Alphabet, Memory Environment (ME) , the S-S-S Principle and “Start at the top, read like a clock.”


SECTION I
RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

I see a particular Street Entrance (SE) [the street has many familiar buildings]. As I look at the SE, I see (imagine) a giant SoDa in a large soda glass. I make sure that it is at the street entrance only. The S stands for Section and the D for Roman Numeral I (Major System #1). Thus, I can see SECTION I, simply by observing what is at the entrance to the street, a big SODA. But, I’m not through with SODA yet.

Since Section I (Soda) has a title, RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS, I will peg these 3 words to the SODA by using SUBSTITURE WORDS.

Here they are: RIGHTS = Rice, AND = Hand, & FREEDOMS=Free Drums

START AT THE TOP, READ LIKE A CLOCK

Almost any image I use has the possibility of 4 positions, middle Top, middle Right, middle Bottom and middle Left.

At the Top (pos 1) of the SODA, I see RICE (maybe Rice Krispies) being poured into it. At the Right (pos 2), I see a giant HAND slapping the SODA. At the Bottom (pos 3), I see FREE DRUMS beating at the bottom of the SODA glass. The word FREE may be painted on the DRUMS (plural).

When I zoom out with my minds eye, I can see all the parts that make up this image and watch as they decode/translate into, SECTION I – RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS. All of this is at the Street Entrance. Now to ARTICLE 2.

ARTICLE 2
RIGHT TO LIFE

As I enter this familiar street, I see (imagine) a large AwNing in the middle (width view). It is facing a familiar SIDEWALK and a familiar STRUCTURE (building). Since this is a bit odd, it is easy to remember. The A in the word, AWNING, stands for ARTICLE and the N for 2 (Major System #2). Thus I have ARTICLE 2 staring at me as if it is a neon sign.

Again, as in Section I, ARTICLE 2 has a title, THE RIGHT TO LIVE. I will peg these 3 words to the AWNING by using the following SUBSTITUE WORDS:

RIGHT=Write, TO=Toe (or Tootsie Roll), LIVE=Leaf

As in Section I (SODA), I peg these SUBSTITUTE WORDS, in some imaginative way, around the AWNING, starting at the top and reading like a clock.

I can now see the AwNing with the Sub Words pegged to it. As I decode/translate, I see and read, ARTICLE 2 – RIGHT TO LIFE. Now to the SIDEWALK.

THE SIDEWALK (1st & 2nd Part Titles)

I am now standing under the AWNING, looking at the familiar SIDEWALK that runs in front of the familiar STRUCTURE (building).

On the SIDEWALK, there is a very long TIE rapped around an AVIARY with WANDS sticking out all over. This image is located left-center of the building. The TIE is the SUB for the number, “1.” The AVIARY with the WANDS is the SUBSTITUTE for the word, EVERYONE’S. Together, they read, “1. EVERYONE’S.”

ALPHA CHARACTERS

It is the letters in the word, EVERYONE’S, that gives me the Alpha Characters (ACs) list. Each Character holds 4 words or less. The ACs will hold every word in the two sentence paragraph, I call, Part 1.

All I do now, is select my ACs, beginning with the Ladies (L), according to the letters, E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E-S. If I need more ACs, which I will in this case, I simply continue where the Ladies stopped, but this time using Male ACs.

Part 1 Alpha Characters:

(L)
Elizabeth - 1 (right/write), 2 (to/toe), 3 (life/leaf), 4 (shall/shell)
Vickie -
Evelyn -
Rose -
Yoko Ono -
Olivia -
Nancy -
Ester -
Susan -
(M)
Earl - 1 (penalty/pen tree), 2 (is/hiss [ice]), 3 (provided/pro hide), 4(by/bye [wave]
Victor- 1 (law/law officer).

For Part 2 of ARTICLE 2,
I just place NOAH (Major System #2) on the SIDEWALK at the right center-side of the building. Then, I place Deborah (Kerr) on the ark having a VACATION. Deborah linked to Vacation gives me a SUB for DEPRIVATION. The whole substitute image reads, “2. DEPRIVATION.”

After this, I follow my ALPHA CHARACTERS application as I did with the word, EVERYONE’S.

That’s pretty much the way I do it.

This system really works well for non-verbatim use also. I just stick a key word in here and there, just enough to trigger the thought.

For more on ALPHA CHARACTERs, click the following link and scroll down to ALPHA CHARACTERS:

Thanks for the interest,
gary

1 Like