Associating alphabet letters to their numbers

Hi, i was trying to memorize the alphabet through the numbers of the position of each letter, like, for example, being able to instantly associate the letter M to the number 13.

But unfortunately i´ve been stuck with the rote learning methods on this matter, and i´d like to know if there was a effective mnemonic way of doing this task

This is my first post here, so if i´m doing anything wrong i apologize.

1 Like

A simple trick I learned a while ago for doing this is to remember the word “EJOTY” - this is just the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th & 25th letters. Once you know these, it’s trivial to find a target letter.

For your example of the letter M: I know M is between J and O, so just count from J: K, L, M means I take 10 + 3 = 13 as my answer.

In reverse, if you have to find the number associated with N: I know N comes directly before O, so N = 15 - 1 = 14.

I know it’s not exactly what you were asking, but this trick has worked for me whenever I needed it :slight_smile:. Of course, a more rigorous mnemonic like a peg list may be better suited for you depending on what you need this for.

3 Likes

Actually that’s very clever, i was thinking on making checkpoints like that before but haven’t managed to devise such a estrategy.
Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I already posted a memorization technique about this topic.
I definitely sure if you follow all these steps you never forgot the alphabetic sequence.

Here is a link of the topic.

1 Like

I am late on this topic, but it reminds me of the time when I recite alphabetic numbers with shaper system. I then made a graph that I was once used in my mind. Because of the independence of each number, I can randomly access to them without a sequential search.

2 Likes