What's your approach [Book Memorization]

Hi,
I’m curious how you would approach a book that had 22 chapters each chapter has approximately 33 sections. I’m not looking to memorize the book verbatim; however, I would like to memorize the chapters and the subsequent section names and there context.

1 Like

Break them down into small enough chunks to be comfortbale doing it verbatim. The most strenuous part will be boiling it down to just the essentials. After that you can just order the chunks in a palace to maintain the chapter number.

There are many different approach. It all depends on your expertise and preference…

But usually,following approach is taken for memorizing a book’s main points chapter by chapter:

1. I would use 'Major System"(or Dominic System) for numbering/tagging the chapters and sections!
  2. I would then convert the chapter/section title to ‘images’
  3. I would then connect/link the converted images to the numbers of the Major System
  4. I would put each ‘chapter’ in a Loci of a Memory Palace

You can avoid using Major System altogether and use “Memory Palace” only. But I prefer using Major System with Memory Palace,as it gives me a lot more organization of data. I like ‘numbering’ different chapters/ideas/points of a book like:

Chapter 01:
Section 1
Section 2
Section 3

Chapter 02:
Section 1
Section 2
Section 3

Interestingly,you can use the “Major System” with “Alphabet System” to memorize hundreds of different ‘points/ideas’ a book. You don’t need Memory Palace.

Also,instead of using ‘architectural spaces’ like Memory Palace,you can utilize the idea of ‘Grid System’.

If you want to memorize the book verbatim,you can check out THE LANIER VERBATIM MEMORY SYSTEM. It is a cool technique.

1 Like