What techniques would you use to memorize a script of dialogue

I am in the process of memorizing a script. I started out typing it up and putting it into Anki using cloze-type questions. After a while it just seemed very tedious and i’m not really sure if this is the best way to go about it. It seems like it’s 1 step away from rote memorization.
Does anyone have a more efficient and better way?

You know what, I think I found an answer a few questions below in “how to memorize poetry.”

(Neil Kutzen) #3

This has worked really well for me.
Break the dialogue up into lines or phrases.
Pick a key word in each line that will remind you of the entire line.
Now you have a list of words that, when you read them, will allow you to recite your entire piece.
Now, using a memory palace of suitable length, connect each word to an item in the palace.
First, come up with images for each word. For example if the word were explain, pictures eggs on a plane. Then connect these images to the palace items ina sully way.
Best,
Neil

Hey Charles! Neil is right in that using a mind palace is the way to go. In my experience, it takes too long to create images for each word of a script. Even if you were able to do it, it would be prohibitively long to recall the information when your actually on stage and everyone is staring at you :slight_smile: And as much as I like Anki for most things, I think memorizing a script requires a different approach. For instance, instead of creating an image for each word in the line with a mind palace, only create an image for the first word or two. THEN, instead of placing that image in a mind palace, imagine it on the stage where you will actually be delivering your lines, and in the place where you will be delivering them. If I had the line, “But soft, what light through yon window breaks?”, I would only create an image of the words, “But soft”, and would imagine that image in the place on the stage where I am supposed to deliver that line. Does that make sense?

Still a mind palace and regularly used by Shakespeare…

When [Shakespeare] had the Globe Theater constructed, he already had this technique in mind. He had five doors built and each door was a different color. He had five columns built and each column was a different color. Each door and column were locations that his actors would imagine their lines and see them interacting with the columns or the doors.

Screenshot-24-300x173

For other locations they would also use paintings, steps or even exit signs within the theater. They would take their lines and create pictures or brain triggers. They would place these images around the room so that if they ever were to get stuck all they had to do was look around to help remember.

You can read more about it here: http://memorise.org/memory-training/memorize-lines

You know bjeorn, I had heard rumors about that but wasn’t sure if it was actually true! That’s amazing! Cool to think that one of the most talented English poets of all time understood the value of mnemonics! My approach is very similar but to instead put the images from the lines at the locations on the stage where you will be when you need to deliver them. This not only cues you as to your line, but also where you need to be at all times during the play, which actors sometimes forget as well. Another alternative is to imagine the mnemonics on a prop you are supposed to be interacting with as you say your line or the shoulder of the other actor you are supposed to be conversing with, etc.