What system do you use for memorizing binary numbers [POLL]

What system do you use for memorizing binary numbers? Cast your vote below to see the results.

• The 8-letter method
  • Binary number shapes
  • Convert binary numbers to decimal numbers (2- or 3-digit)
  • Binary grids (for example, 3x3)
  • 10-digit Ben System
  • Other (comment below)

0 voters

Definitions:

1. The 8-letter method
  2. Binary number shapes
  3. Converting binaries to decimals is when you take a binary number like 011-101 and convert it to decimal (3-5) and then use your regular 2- or 3-digit image for the decimal number (35).
  4. Binary grids are when you memorize the numbers in 3x3 blocks (see below)
  5. 10-digit Ben System

Here’s an example of a binary grid:

That 3x3 block could be translated to 7-6-1 in decimal, and then the mnemonic image for 761 would be used.

2 Likes

My binary grid is 2 wide and 3 high; similar to a braille cell.

…in braille this is the letter “F”. In competitions it’s my image for 31 putting one PAO (i.e., 2x3 = 6 wide) per location. That then is 5 loci per row.

Has the advantage that PAO images don’t spill over into the next row as they would if you did 6 digits at a time (i.e., 3x6 = 18 binary digits per PAO). Also, it keeps the same way of reading when reading braille or encoding letters of unknown words or codes into braille:

4 Likes

That’s interesting. I hadn’t heard of anyone using 2x3 grids yet. :slight_smile:

I want to learn Braille, but the only time I encounter it in daily life is when I go into San Francisco and it’s on the elevators. I’m going to ask at a bookstore tomorrow.

Well, aside from the advantage that the PAO won’t spill over on the standard 30-digit line, it also has the same disadvantage that a 3x3 grid does… you get one loci wrong you potentially lose the points for all 3 rows.

Feel free to add “braille cell” as 6. above… :innocent: but I doubt many PAO folks would run the risk of potentially losing 3 rows.

I kept it as such because horizontal braille input uses both big endian and little endian, so “110 110” would be a J (2+4 = 6) on the left and an M (1+2 = 3) on the right. The option was to either read binary the same way or read it JJ in binary and type it JM for braille, so I went with the vertical approach instead… if that makes sense. Plus, I use the PAO braille images (i.e., my binary images) for speffz when doing Rubik’s cube blindfolded.

Make sure you ask for grade 1 braille (i.e., uncontracted) otherwise you’ll have to learn a lot more than just the alphabet, which is not really related to the braille cell itself but more to shorthand in general.

(There are some fonts and web translators too, so you can just braille 1 translate text online to practice if you want to read with your eyes rather than your fingertips.)

http://www.pdrib.com/pages/commonquestions.php#14

Basically uncontracted (aka: grade one) Braille includes the letters “A” through “Z”. It may also include some punctuation marks such as period, question mark, capital sign, and comma. Contracted (aka: grade two) Braille consists of a ‘shorthand’ in Braille whereas some words have shortcuts such as the letter ‘C’ represents the word ‘can’ or ‘td’ is the word today. There are 189 Braille contractions. Very young children will focus on uncontracted Braille.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try to get one of each, if I can find them. I just realized that the local library might have some books in Braille.

I use a 4-3-3 but not the Ben System

1 Like