What should the mechanism of integrating speed-reading and memory techniques be?

After speculating the divergent aspects of speed-reading and Memorization techniques my mind keeps probing into the realm of integration. I have understood the efficacy of both of these fields but never could I create an accurate amalgamation of both of these elements. The placement of these two sets of ideas is quite cumbersome. Thereby I urge upon my fellow members to indulge in this field of discussion. As a starting question I would ask, How much exactly should be speed read before using memorizing techniques, considering the fact that the chapter has already been skimmed? Should Feynman technique be used during speed reading?

My primary goal is to read, comprehend and memorize simultaneous in a single frame of time. Try to obliterate spaced repetitions for the time being. Focus only on a specific first-time study session.

Search, memorizing and reading 1000 wpm 100% compresion 100% memorizing??? Search curso definitivo de lectura rápida Ramon campayo PDF and search PDF Translator and translate and english and reading the program search in the Ramon campayo website download

My english is not Very good

@Erol has a nice suggestion about Memory & Speed reading

Bookmarked this book for purchase after I get through a bunch of other stuff I’m currently doing:

I was thinking that the key to this would be simultaneous reading and encoding. Reviewing between sequences (like you asked, what a sequence would be and how long it would be is worth discussion) would take that encoded data and strengthen it. We can do more with the method of loci (if we use it) if our data is organized before starting. The conversations between @Mnemoriam and @Slate have been maximally informative in this area especially here: 2 years of intensive learning : my experience with flashcards and the method of loci - #11 by Mnemoriam

and Mnemoriam lays out his model again here:

(I haven’t used this method, and I don’t understand it very well so do read the link above and don’t take my summary on faith) The essential technique mnemoriam uses requires initial quick passes through the book to structure the information in a tree of hierarchical categories, then read to store information within the created hierarchy. I think speed reading at high speeds extremely limits what you can remember after reading, but could potentially be extremely useful for the first kind of scan, whereas center reading (not sure what the name of the technique is actually called) which is slower but still quick to fill out the branches might be a good combinatory method of speed reading and memorizing. If your goal then is to skip spaced recall, remembering to traverse the tree every time you recall information from it would firm up all the nearby connections. Still, I foresee information loss because the tree seems to lack some locality, and the connections arent being reinforced enough to enter long-term memory. How do we know that we’ve lost a branch? How do we put so much information, encountered only a handful of times within a single frame of time, into permanent long-term memory? I don’t think you can. But there are two ways to cheat out recall without wasting additional time. One is to place the memories on a physical journey you take at least once a week. Then your mind will recall those images unbidden as you go through the journey acting as an unintentional practice. Two put the sorted information into a larger structure that you will review. You may not remember the book as well, but the information you want to remember can be slotted into your existing knowledge base, and the stuff you want to remember can be cemented into memory palace superstructures.

Do we have to organize knowledge in a hierarchy? I’m not sure, and it certainly takes time to do so. If we didn’t (and this might not be a good way of learning, but it fulfills the basic requirements of your inquiry), what would happen? Well we would have information that is unstructured from page one-paragraph 1 all the way to the last page-last paragraph. We could take an image from each paragraph that clues us into the content and place them one after another in space. This way of encoding(the method of loci) is the absolute fastest, slowed down only by our skill in image making and placing, and the number of memory palaces prepared. But the entire method can come to a screeching halt if the material is opaque in any way. The less you comprehend what you read, the more vague your images will be, and this issue will only compound if the text requires understanding of previous concepts to understand the next one. A memory palace full of such images will give you a surface level of understanding the topic (you explicitly stated comprehension as one of the goals so we need to address this somehow).

This is getting to be a bit long so I will write out the basic assumptions we might have as questions
Goal: We want to comprehend and to memorize in a single frame of time.

1. Do we organize the information for better comprehension?
    A. Do we organize the information before?
    B. Do we organize the information after?

2. Do we encode information
    A. into real locations?
    B. into virtual structures?

3. What kind of location/structure do we use?
    A. If it’s a real location, do we
    a. use a Journey we traverse often?
    b. use a previously prepared palace?

B If it’s a virtual structure do we
a. use the page?
b. use a mind map?
c. use a tree?
d. use a macunx?

1. How will it get into long term memory?
    a. Through regular traversal using a journey?
    b. Through regular everyday use of the information?
    c. Through contextual recall inside a larger collection of information we review often?

2. How will we comprehend the information?
    a. Through organizing it into rational categories?
    b. By pondering and reviewing it over time? (does this exceed the limits imposed by our stated goal?)
    c. By osmosis, as we refer to it when learning other things?

3. What speed reading techniques will we employ?
    a. How will it affect or be affected by our image crafting, placing, and organization?
    b. How will it affect our natural comprehension of the text?

2 Likes