What is the official world record in each category ?

Simple question !

1 Like
Discipline Record Athlete Event
Hour numbers 4620 digits North Korea Ryu Song I WMSC World Championships 2019
5-minute numbers 616 digits China Wei Qinru WMSC World Championships 2018
Spoken numbers 547 digits North Korea Ryu Song I WMSC World Championships 2019
30-minute binary digits 7485 digits North Korea Ryu Song I WMSC World Championships 2019
Hour cards 2530 cards North Korea Kim Su Rim WMSC World Championships 2019
Speed cards 12.74 seconds Mongolia Shijir-Erdene Bat-Enkh IAM Korea Open 2018
15-minute random words 335 words India Prateek Yadav WMSC World Championships 2019
15-minute names and faces 224 points United Kingdom Katie Kermode IAM World Championships 2018
5-minute historic dates 154 dates India Prateek Yadav WMSC World Championships 2019
15-minute abstract images (WMSC) 756 points China Zhang Xingrong WMSC World Championships 2018
5-minute random images (IAM) 455 points Italy Andrea Muzii IAM European Open Championship 2019

@anon3561952 beat me to it.
Source:http://www.world-memory-statistics.com/disciplines.php

1 Like

Thank you !

Do you have them for Each category in memory league ?

Back when I competed a few years ago, I was tracking the best scores on Memory League and I am sure many of these have now been beaten but these were the records …

LIVE EVENTS
Cards - 16.86 - Alex Mullen - WMLC 2016
Images - 13.91 - Lance Tschirhart - WMLC 2016
Names - 30 in 45.09 - Jan-Hendrik Buscher - Scandinavian 2018
Numbers - 16.85 - Simon Reinhard - Scandinavian 2018
Words - 50 in 51.31 - Katie Kermode - WMLC 2016

ONLINE TOURNAMENTS
Cards - 13.56 - 叶博 Yebo - League season 2
Images - 9.62 - Jan Zon - League season 1
Names - 30 in 40.30 - Jan-Hendrik Buscher - League season 3
Numbers - 11.90 - Alex Mullen - League season 3
Words - 50 in 42.44 - Katie Kermode - League season 2

OTHER RECORDED SCORES NOT IN OFFICIAL TOURNAMENTS
Images - 8.60 - Zeshaan Khokhar
Words - 50 in 36.96 - Simon Reinhard

Does anyone have any accurate updates on these?

2 Likes

A French competitor told me that Claire did 30names in 27s during a season match. So maybe it’s the record for names unless someone did better .

That is amazing!

I have a collection of roughly 34’000 ML games of 40+ selected players (mostly players who have been streamed, but the set does not include all of the games those players have played), mostly from the past 1-3 years. This is only a small subset of all the games that have been played of course.

The best scores from my (limited) dataset are:
Cards - 52 in 11.89 - Alex Mullen - Normal rated game (Oct, 2019)
Images - 30 in 9.09 - Byambaaa - Online Memory League Season (Aug, 2020)
Names - 30 in 27.17 - ClaireBookworm - Online Memory League Season (Jun, 2020)
International Names - 30 in 59.56 - Jan-Hendrik Büscher - Online Memory League Season (Nov, 2020)
Numbers - 80 in 10.82 - Andrea Muzii - Arena of Memory (Aug, 2020)
Words - 50 in 34.14 - Claire - Online Memory League Season (Aug, 2020)

As can be seen from some other posts, there have been some results that have been better than this. But neither them, nor these, have been done at physical live events. What @ClayKnight posted would probably be the closest to an “official” record, but it also feels weird to say that considering most people never had a chance to compete in a live ML tournament.

Edit: @SimonReinhard also posted a good link regarding the official records in the other thread.

3 Likes

That is some pretty awesome data Florian, and some crazy scores also!
Merging both together and including events like the leagues but not just rated games, it may look like this …

LIVE EVENTS
Cards - 16.86 - Alex Mullen - WMLC 2016
Images - 13.91 - Lance Tschirhart - WMLC 2016
Names - 30 in 45.09 - Jan-Hendrik Buscher - Scandinavian 2018
Numbers - 16.85 - Simon Reinhard - Scandinavian 2018
Words - 50 in 51.31 - Katie Kermode - WMLC 2016

ONLINE TOURNAMENTS
Cards - 13.56 - 叶博 Yebo - League season 2
Images - 9.09 - Byambaa - League (August 2020)
Names - 30 in 27.17 - ClaireBookWorm - League (June 2020)
Numbers - 10.82 - Andrea Muzlii - Arena of Memory
Words - 50 in 34.14 - ClaireBookworm - League (August 2020)

How is this looking @FlorianMinges also, can we merge this also with Simon’s? where would I find it?

@ClayKnight The link to the official Memory League world records is here:

https://iam-stats.org/records_ml.php

Of course the determination of the world records is up to the ML team. The IAM statistics team is doing this as a supporting service in cooperation with ML.

Regarding the best results achieved at online events, just my personal opinion: there have definitely been fewer live events than online events and of course not everybody had the chance to take part in a live event. Hopefully that can change in the future, once the global situation allows it, with more live events and more participation which would be great :).

In addition, there are also specific requirements for a world record (at least to my understanding), among them new, non-training sets for the faces at Names and for Images. Almost no online event fulfilled that in the past. In addition (and even more important): up to now, only a live event could provide, in my opinion, the level of arbiter oversight sufficient for a world record (the same with the classical events). Whether there might be an attempt to open that up for the ML World Tour’s World Championship event this cycle by taking higher precautions than usual in terms of arbiting, I do not know. Because of these differences, I think it makes sense to clearly discern between “world records” and “best scores at online events”.

This being said, I totally understand and share the fascination with new great scores online. Seeing so many athletes pushing the boundaries, under whichever conditions, is always hugely exciting :).

1 Like

@SimonReinhard it is good to see that the records I kept for fun, exactly match the official world records!
At the time I was keeping them, there was no official records page for ML so it is good to see it exists now.

I agree completely that for some disciplines it is a world of difference if you have new names and faces or new images,
Using Images as an example because it was my best event … In practice (with images I got used to over time) I used to get under 11 seconds pretty much every day, but my best live score (with new images) is 14.90 or something?

It is still a lot of fun though to track the best online scores though :slight_smile:
It also allows for more than 5 people to get some well deserved recognition.

2 Likes

Yes Live events are more awesome. But, something that would be exciting to add would be a Leaderboard of online scores. Maybe under the name of “Best scores at online events”. That could also include the Standard events. Then suggesting that only those competitions with arbetiers would count. ( Such as Remote Online competition 2020). The upside of this is that more people can join more Online Competitions. Since not everyone did travel to Every competition anyway in the past.

World Tour would be a great example of this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would argue that the term World Record would imply the Guinness World Records.
There is a thing in all sports were you have to perform the feat in a certain setting under certain conditions to set a record result. These official results are often slower. It would be interesting to know what are the official criteria used at official events and by Guinness.

1 Like