What is the best spaced repetition schedule?

Especially for studying medicine…
What worked for you?

4 Likes

I don‘t study medicine but maybe my spaced repetition schedule will be helpful to you anyway :slight_smile:

I explained my schedule in this post:

It has worked well for me so far. I use it to learn laws and related things.

Keep in mind that everyone learns a bit differently. You should try different schedules to find the one that works best for you.

Good luck :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you for replying back. :+1::grin: I am trying to find the most appropriate interval between the two reviews.
By the way how did you come up with that schedule? Hit and trial?

3 Likes

I started with the spaced repetition schedule that Dominic O’Brien explains in his books and noticed that I needed some more reviews. That’s how I ended up with my current schedule :slight_smile:

You can see Dominic O’Brien’s schedule and some more information on the wiki:
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Spaced_Repetition_and_Recall

I think it’s best to try it out for yourself. It’s a bit tricky to find the perfect amount and intervals of review so that the information doesn’t fade but you still don’t have to do too many reviews. I use an excel-spreadsheet to plan the reviews for everything I learn.

3 Likes

I am studying medicine as well and used to struggle with finding the appropriate review calendar, especially the organizing was too much time and energy consuming.

Now I use Anki as a automatic space repetition organizer.

For example I write the diseases I have to study on a piece of paper.
Then I review it the same day and the next day once more, speaking it out loud without a notes. Whenever I am finished with presenting the disease out loud to myself I check, if and what important points I have missed. Then I got it down pretty well.
Now I just write a card with “liver cirrhosis” for example, without anything at the other side. I hit the card until a time span with days come that I feel comfortable with reviewing next, e.g. in 4 days.
In 4 days Anki shows me the card again, I present it again, and then I choose over Anki the next time span.

This way I don’t have to organize it myself and Anki allows algorithms adjusted to the difficulty of each and every card itself.
I have started with it recently, but I am very pleased. Works like a charme so far.

Another thing: I have reduced the maximum of cards to 3 cards. Otherwise, it would be too much for me.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thank for replying :blush: What do u mean by reducing to 3? U only review 3 topics per day?

Yeah reducing the maximum amount of cards to review.
Since one card is one disease and I need 5 - 10 minutes to explain out loudly - 3 for the beginning is enough.
But like most things this will depend individually.

2 Likes

What about for reviewing other subjects? Like pharma, micro?
I am preparing for post graduation entrance test, so I need to review all of the 19 subjects this year…

I am studying only the basics of medicine in my country. Not to be a certified doctor, but a health practitioner. So I can only imagine how vast and deep your amount of material to study is. Therefore it is difficult for me to give you suitable solutions.

General principle I’d say is to review superficially or the basics stuff first, but a lot of the material. Then after reviewing all the basics of all the subjects, reviewing again and then going a little bit deeper. Then repeat and repeat. It’s more important to have the broader image and the feeling of the whole subject first, so you have a frame in which the details can fall into. Without the frame the details will get lost in space.

Another tip is to stick your learning documents on your home’s walls. Then you see it all the time and reviewing will be a lot easier. This method is also making use putting the information into one location, so it will be even more easier to remember.

Good luck! :wink:

1 Like

I am partial to Supermemo myself - at least for flash card style reviews.

For memory palaces I have started using Anki. The entire palace is on the backside of the card. I quickly glance at any parts that seem hard. Every 5 reviews I will formally test myself - to make sure all the loci are still correct.

I make my palaces in Google Sheets I will also download the sheet as CSV and import the sheet into Anki. This lets me easily make flash cards of each loci while I’m learning the palace. (might as well). After I feel comfortable with the palace. I also have a simpler app I made that reviews all the loci in order.

For me, 333 loci seems to be the ideal length of a memory place.

2 Likes

For school work (specifically HS level physics, chem and bio) I’ve left it to Anki to figure out for me. It uses the Supermemo 2.0 algorithm (very well respected) which takes into account not just a basic system for the intervals, but the quality of your performance on the note as well.

Most people will find the out of the box configuration to suffice, but if you would like to make changes, give this video a watch and it’ll guide you through some rather heavy modifications that can improve the quality of your learning if applied correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaJjbCSXT0

My use case might not be as intensive as yours, but I hope my two cents might help either way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank u so much guys @LukeAvedon @thecodingpro @vconsumer:smile:
I will keep working on it :v:

@b_sushi my previous answer was in error.

I was deeply deluded.

I have realized it is better to let the software schedule all reviews.

My “test my memory palace after every 5 mental reviews” was an insane idea.

That takes a lot more time. Better to just let the computer handle everything. Now I make one card for the entire palace (with every loci on the back if I want to glance at it). When that card comes up in Anki I “bury” the card (hit the = key) and will review the palace mentally at some point during my daily activities, on my own, away from the app.

I also add an individual card for each loci (simply downloaded from Google Sheets and imported into Anki - with images). My sheet automatically adds in the relevant HTML tags. A image of the palace location is on the front - the fact, in bold, is on the back. The mnemonic is also on the back (although not in bold).

I can also learn the palace more quickly by making a custom deck of every loci with just one click.

Although I am adding a lot of new cards it hardly increases my daily Anki burden. I am already learning the information away from the computer - reviewing the palaces, so any loci that pops up is going to get marked as easy. I actually save an enormous amount of time as I do not have to do a formal test of the entire palace at some point.

Some of the information in my palaces is already in Super Memo. Learned in the normal, non-mnemonic flash card style. (See: https://www.supermemo.com/en/archives1990-2015/articles/20rules) The palaces are a bonus, and when I practice them - it lowers my burden in Super Memo.

I use both Anki and Super Memo every day. Super Memo is much better for lifetime learning. Anki is better for cramming (or if you need mobile support - although a 10" Microsoft Surface Pro tablet can run Super Memo). If you need to know the information within six months use Anki. I like to put my reminders to review an entire palace in Anki and not Super Memo as the Anki algorithm - is biased towards early review (which I find helpful for palaces).

If you are learning the information only for a test and plan on forgetting it after - use Anki.

Sorry if the above is incoherent!
Good luck!

3 Likes

Would it be possible to post the contents of ONE piece of paper that is related to ONE Anki card?

I mean the EXACT contents of your piece of paper - possibly for your example of “liver cirrhosis”.

Thanks.

1 Like

My native tongue is German and my study material as well.

Would be too much a pain to translate it. Sorry, bro. Don’t understand why you need the exact information anyway.
I can tell you the overall scheme of things.

Title = Name of disease

Definition

Epidemiology

Causes for illness

Symptoms

Diagnosis

Therapy

So nothing special. It follows the logic of medicine. Then I note the major and most important parts. I don’t try to have all the information, but just the most important information.

Hope that helps you

@vconsumer

Thanks for the info.

As I suspected, the info that you provided proves to me that it’s ideally suited for “one Anki card per question”.

Look at an earlier post in this thread from @LukeAvedon, dated May 6. Here’s a quote:

That’s the correct way to use Anki, according to the Supermemo rules that @LukeAvedon quoted.

In other words, don’t write multiple items of information on a single card. Instead, break it into one question/answer per card. In your example, you might have about 7 cards.

If a topic such as “Causes of illness”, or “Symptons”, has more than one answer, then you need some ingenuity to reverse-engineer suitable questions. But any Anki user will tell you that the more mental effort you need to compose a question - then the quicker you will remember the answer in future.