What are your methods for learning a language effectively?

Hello everyone, I would like to know your method for learning vocabulary, learning sentences (especially that I really have trouble memorizing them as they are long), grammar, verb etc…

I just use Anki, Tatoeba and tatoeki

1 Like

Why are you trying to memorize long sentences? If you learn a language correctly, you’ll automatically know how to construct longer sentences.

1 Like

I have no idea how that answers the question of why you want to memorize long sentences. He’s talking about not understanding sentences even though you know the words. That’s a different question altogether.

Anyways… what language are you talking about, what’s your L1, and what other languages do you speak.

Well I have the same problem as what is said in the video I recognize the words but if I try to read the sentence by recognizing the words and well it does not mean anything I speak French and English it is for Spanish that I do this

French has 75% lexical similarity with Spanish, so pretty much the only easier language to learn if you speak French is Italian (with 89%).

Could you maybe give a few examples of where you have problems. That would make it a lot easier to see what’s going on. Are you referring to spoken or written Spanish?

As you’ve seen in the video, he suggests various reasons for your problem and how to approach each one of them.

I don’t understand what I’m reading, even if I recognize the words, the sentence doesn’t make sense if I translate it into my language. That’s why I learn sentences that are already constructed and I also learn vocabulary from them.

Even when I hear the vocabulary words, I still don’t understand anything, even with the subtitles

1 Like

I have spent endless hours learning various languages, with various levels of success and failure (mostly failure), and under different conditions (immersion, vicinity of language, motivation, etc.)

I often refer to the “stupid method”: listen more, write more, read more, talk more. But obviously it has to be done in an intelligent way.

If I have to begin again to learn Chinese, that is a language very far from my mother tongue, I would do it in a completely different way to what I did.
In concrete I would focus much more on listening: radio, tv, movies, songs, even if I don’t understand.

Meaningful input or comprehensible input is also important, finding readings and content according to the level of what I have studied so far. And there is no contradiction between this and what I said before about listening even if nothing is understood. One thing is to learn vocabulary and grammar, and another to train the ear and the brain to the sounds, intonation and rhythm of the language.

Immersion is great, but I feel sometimes is a bit overrated. What is needed is “active immersion,” that includes the daily effort to learn, and be really in contact with the people of a place and its culture. I have met many people who in theory are immersed, but in fact it is a “passive immersion”, and after 30 years cannot go beyond basic level in the language of a place.

I try never to learn vocabulary without context. Always in a sentence, unless it is very basic vocabulary like names of fruits or simple objects.