What Are Your Favorite Books That Changed the Way You Think?

You Are Not Your Brain By Jeffrey Schwartz and Rebecca Gladding MD

I am kind of curious about the techniques of this book on breaking habits but I have my doubts on getting the book cause Schwartz is a known anti-evolution creationist, does anyone knows if the book is backed up by real science?

Finite and Infinite Games by James Carse.

Let’s revive this thread and see if people have any more book recommendations. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
There are so many great books that I have read that have profoundly influenced me. Many of them, as for us all, are deeply personal. I love “The Tao of Pooh” by Benjamin Hoff, “The Places That Scare You” by Pema Chodron, and “Letters To A Young Poet” by Rainer Maria Rilke. I could of course go on and on and on but I’ll stop with the three that popped into my head today.

James P.

1 Like

Feel free to post as many as you want. There is plenty of room. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll add a few over the coming weeks to keep this thread bumped.

James

1 Like

Here are a few book list resources that people might be interested in:

There is Greater Books, which compiles many lists of great books. They have a shortlist of 487 books that commonly appear on many of the lists, as well as a longer list.

Five Books looks like an interesting site where experts recommend their five favorite books on a subject.

There’s also a thread on how to read 200 books per year.

3 Likes

Josh,
Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out and see what they have to offer.

James P.

@fastertomaster Arthur Worsley who runs the site Faster2Master has created many curated book lists. We get some curated list for reference to create our own using his lists even if they are opinionated.

All 452 Book Recommendations from “Tools of Titans”, by Tim Ferriss

Best Biographies: 70 Best Biography Books and Memoirs of All Time

Best Books of All Time: 101 Books to Read Before You Die (2019)

Best Books on Learning: 70 Great Books on How to Learn Faster (2019)

Best Books on Memory: 35 Books For Massive Memory Improvement (2019)

Best Books on Mindset: 35 Books to Unleash the Power of your Thoughts (2019)

Best Books on Money: 35 Books on Investing and Personal Finance (2019)

Best Books on Productivity: 70 Books to Start Accomplishing More Each Day (2019)

Best Books on Social Skills: 70 Books to Win Friends and Influence People (2019)

Best Books on Writing: 70 Great Books to Improve Your Writing

Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books: 70 Tickets to Explore Unknown Worlds (2019)

1 Like

In general my mind was shaped with passion to find answers, all significant details of anything i was intersted in. Even though i’ve chosen medicine to study, i always want to go deeper than that. Physiology, molecular biology, biochemistry. It seems necessary for me. I plan to read Feynman Lectures on Physics someday.
From the beggining of 2019 i’ve read a couple of books that really got strong impact on me.
Here’s the list:
Rationality: “Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality” and “Rationality: From AI to Zombies” by Eliezer Yudkowsky.
Influence:The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
Republic by Plato
Rhetoric by Aristotle

For now I’m really interested in decision making and cognitive biases theme. I have almost finished “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman and still read from time to time “Rationality: From AI to Zombies”
I’m also planning to start “Games of Strategy” By Avinash and Douglas Hofstadter’s “Godel, Escher, and Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid”

1 Like

Happiness Beyond Thought by Gary Weber is probably my top book. It has very good texts to memorize in it too for helping one reduce thoughts.

1 Like

I’m going to have to noodle on this one. I have so few books that I haven’t put in boxes. I have Euclid’s elements on the coffee table but have never gone past book 1.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance was probably one of the key moments where I moved from fiction to nonfiction and then was never really interested in it again.

A History of Mathematics by Boyer changed my outlook on mathematics from indifference to a life long fascination.

The Feynman’s lecture series created a permanent confusion in how I see the physical world and continue to try to come to terms with illusion, reality, philosophy and facts.

I think the bigger issue in this post is that I need to invest in some more of the worlds greatest books.

3 Likes

The 4-hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss.

According to the author it is still the most highlighted book on Kindle ten years after it was published.

Geometry Revisited by HSM Coxeter. Made me fall in love with geometry!

I had finished most of the book in 10th grade, except some questions and the last chapter on projective geometry, which I consider boring. It is much more interesting to consider conics in PG(2,R) with homogenized coordinates as compared to jumping at them with classical techniques, which is quite tedious.

Also, Unscripted by MJ DeMarco is great.

1 Like

The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force

1 Like

Here’s a new, related topic for people who are interested in audiobooks: The Great Courses on Audible and free lectures on YouTube

1 Like

Rich dad, poor dad.
Posted by Robert Kiyosaki.

2 Likes

I finished Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, and would recommend it.

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for all the recommendations.
I found a lot, which I didnt know before.

As a student the book “A mind for numbers” by Barbara Oakley helped me a lot.
Furthermore the book “Atomic Habits” by James Clear gives a really good insight into the world of habits.

Kind regards

sirc :slight_smile:

4 Likes
1 Like