I’m experimenting with using virtual tours of new homes/apartments as memory palaces. For example, I’m looking at homes from this collection:
The idea is to use the apartments/houses themselves as long-term memory palaces rather than merely as sources of individual loci.
What I’m trying to figure out is the best algorithm for memorizing the palace itself.
Suppose I choose one house from the virtual tours. How would you systematically learn it so that, weeks or months later, you can mentally walk through the entire house without needing the tour?
I’m particularly interested in the actual step-by-step algorithm experienced mnemonists use to convert a previously unfamiliar virtual house into a stable memory palace.
Something you can consider is using a fixed number of locations in each area / room (say 5), and always touring the house and room in a counter clockwise or clockwise direction.
Thanks for the tip! I’ve noticed that I struggle to memorize spaces at a glance online, whereas real-life places stick in my head much faster and more naturally.
How can I overcome this? What techniques do you use to quickly cement a virtual memory palace in your mind so it feels as tangible as a real building?
It is a good question but have a think whether it is worth trying to overcome it?
If it is easier for you to remember real locations then it might be better to stick to that? Or you can make imaginary places in your mind from movies, or scenes in your mind from a book, or anything else really.
Going over the memory palaces over and over so its smooth and easy helps a lot.