Troubleshooting Dominic System

[This thread was copied here from the old forum.]

alphafaction 23 October, 2012 - 20:51

Hi Guys,
Wondering if any of you had opinions on where I’m going wrong with the Dominic system, specifically “complex images”.

Been working on learning the system for the last few months.
learnt my cast of people and can memorise 50 numbers just fine using one character per location.

The problem happens when I try to use “complex images” (one character with another characters action/prop)

A. I really struggle tying the character/action to its location
B. I find often I can remember the action/prop but struggle to remember character.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Parkouristx 23 October, 2012 - 23:25

Put some emotion into the picture you are seeing. Lets say that 05 is big bird and the prop for 15 is a sword. SO you would see big bird swinging around a sword. What emotions do you feel when you see this? Lets say you feel scared because this big bird is usually nice but now he is trying to kill you with a sword. This is a memorable image because when you go back to the loci you will think, this is the place where big bird tried to kill me.

Jimbo1 23 October, 2012 - 23:59

Hi,
To tie the complex image to the location try to imagine your image interacting with the location - using the example above Big Bird with a Sword and for example the location is a Park Gate - imagine Big Bird attacking the Park Gate with the Sword and getting it stuck in the gate bars, you can hear the sword clanging as Big Bird tries to free it from the gates metal bars. It sounds like this will take forever to imagine this scene but with a little practice it becomes very easy and very quick

regards,
Jimbo

suncover 29 October, 2012 - 20:34

I think Jimbo’s hit it “right on the spot” so to speak. If there is no interaction with the surroundings, it can become a lot more difficult to determine where your image is located. Try getting it to interact, and then use the emotion to amplify the memory of that whole scenario :slight_smile:

gavino 31 October, 2012 - 01:15

Regarding point (B):

1. You need to make a major effort when you create the image to make sure you remember both the correct character AND the action or prop. If Adolf Hitler is 18 and his action is Sieg Heil salute, then if you have another character performing the salute it is incredibly easy to still see Adolf or his uniform or something. So in the example above, you must ONLY see Big Bird making the salute and saying Sieg Heil in Big Birds voice. Try also to have some other ‘Big Bird’ characteristic involved (maybe another character from the show responding to the salute.)

2. To assist with this I would also recommend that each of your Dominic characters has a number of ‘stock’ associations that you often bring into your images. For example with Adolf I have the moustache, the voice, the uniform (often with silly khaki shorts) and of course the salute itself as the main action.

With other characters I will often have a song. So for example my 65 is Shirley Eaton who I imagine painted in gold from the movie Goldfinger. I could have the Goldfinger theme, but curiously I have always used ‘Gold’ by Spandua Ballet in these situations.

Gavino

NeilG 31 October, 2012 - 05:07

I’ve also found it helpful to use music or sounds; I associate these with the actions.

So, my 57 (off a variant major system) is Darth Vader brandishing a Red Lightsaber
so, the action of “brandishing” is accompanied by the imperial march tune from Star Wars - whoever is doing it, and whenever I’m committing an image to memory I “visualise” the tune as well. (and of course any associated sound effects)

I also agree with the comments on making your character interact with the “background” of the location in some way.

alphafaction 1 November, 2012 - 01:32

Thanks allot for all the comments and suggestions,
A: I have started trying to make the characters interact more with the locations and it seems to be working.

B: Still struggling at the moment with not being able to remember characters (no problem remembering props)

I will try all your suggestions and let you know how I get on!

Had a few more questions I was wondering if you might be able to help me with

C: At the moment I still have to decode each number pair into initials before I get my character, any tips on how to make the jump and avoid decoding the initials each time?

D: Any examples of techniques or training schedules you have used to improve your results with the Dominic system?

NeilG 1 November, 2012 - 02:00

B: Have you tried putting your character associations into flashcard software (or old-fashioned physical flashcards) to review?

C: Practice, practice, practice.

BuddingProspects 3 November, 2012 - 13:21

As to the following:

C: At the moment I still have to decode each number pair into initials before I get my character, any tips on how to make the jump and avoid decoding the initials each time?

You can’t “make the jump” consciously. It will happen when it happens. The more you practice, the sooner it happens. Everyone’s different. Someone could practice for a month and the jump occurs. You may practice the same material for a month and still the jump doesn’t occur. But it WILL HAPPEN eventually. The practice has to be steady and continuous. The best course is not to even think about the jump. The more you worry about it, the more stress you put on yourself and that’s all negative energy and you’ll defeat your purpose.

D: Any examples of techniques or training schedules you have used to improve your results with the Dominic system?

1000 people will have 1000 techniques/training schedules and possibly none will work for YOU. This isn’t rocket science. There’s no great secret here, no mystery that you have to be initiated into. Set aside a certain amount of time each day (half an hour/one hour, whatever) and practice WITHOUT distraction. Do that for a while and you’ll SEE the results. You approach this the same way you’d approach anything you want to master: playing an instrument, lifting weights, etc. Make up your OWN daily schedule. Experiment and see what works for YOU. Maybe it’s 30 minutes per day, maybe an hour. Maybe Monday it’s practice with cards, and Tuesday practice with numbers, etc. Experiment and practice. Or, to put it another way, experiment and practice.