Training the Images in Software

(Prashanth Padebettu) #1

For training the Images in the software, do we use any particular technique for memorization and recall?

(Silvio B.) #2

@prashanth Which software do you mean? Memory League?

(Prashanth Padebettu) #3

Yes, it is the Memory League - https://app.memoryleague.com/#!/train
Then I went to the Train tab on the top and selected Images link (There was Cards, Images, Names, Numbers and Words)
As I am new to this, it suggested that it is a good idea to start here.

(Silvio B.) #4

I (and most people) use the method of loci.

I just use a journey with 15 locations and put 2 images on each location. The image that comes first is either on top or more active.

Example: 1. image is a football / 2. image is a dog:

I picture a football falling on the dog‘s head in the first location of the journey.

(If the dog were the first image and the football the second, I would picture the dog biting in the football that‘s lying on the ground).

That‘s basically it. Good luck with your training!
:slight_smile:

Welcome @prashanth!

I use the Simon Orton method, which is an alphabet peg list of actions using the English alphabet. There is an action for each letter in the alphabet. For example:

A = axe
B = ball
C = cling wrap (i.e. plastic wrap)
D = dig
E = eat
etc…

For the first image, I chop it with an AXE.
For the second image, I see a BALL, usually rolling or bouncing, somewhere in it
For the third image, I wrap something in it with CLING WRAP.
And so on…

There are 26 letters in the alphabet and 30 images in Level 10, so I use working memory for the final 4 images and put them in first during recall.

I found that this technique has a lower learning curve than the method of loci. I started with the method of loci, but was stuck at about 18-22 images for a few weeks. With this method, was able to get to Level 10 in about a week. Also, after practicing this method for a few weeks, I tried the method of loci again and found that was able to get all 30 images with it, so it had crossover benefit for me.

Another benefit is that you can reuse this method as many times in a row as you want without have to worry about ghost images, as is the case with the method of loci where I think many people have multiple memory journeys that they rotate using when playing Images to help prevent ghost images from previous games from showing up.

I think the people with the fastest scores use the method of loci, and that a lot of people put two images in each location and use working memory for the final 4. However, some may have a different number of images for some or all of their locations.

For example, when Kaka was training a lot and tearing things up, he mentioned that he uses 3 images in some locations and possibly 2 or 4 in other locations in the memory journey. I can’t remember exactly. He also said that he experimented some with the number of images in his locations to find what works best for him.

It would be interesting to hear about your experience if you feel like sharing it :slight_smile:

(Prashanth Padebettu) #6

Thank for sharing! This is an awesome approach. I still need to learn and practice the alphabet peg list. This will be an excellent way to start learning and practicing it.

(Prashanth Padebettu) #7

Thanks for sharing! I have started using it and it is an excellent way of practicing the loci method .

@prashanth you can see my list here. It’s a slightly modified version of Simon Orton’s original list.

(Prashanth Padebettu) #9

Thank you so much! This is awesome.